Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugestion for Ban revoking posting not reading.

Options
  • 08-10-2009 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I was banned recently from after hours. No problems with it... the only problem being is that you can't read a forum once you're banned. Would it not be reasonable to allow people to at least read forums they're banned from and just revoke their posting rights?

This is easily gotten around just by logging out (which someone could do by mistake or just not login when they get to their pc) so it's only an inconvenience. By revoking posting privileges the poster has learnt their lesson (not being able to respond) and the forum is still better off not having the poster wreck the place up for however long.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

It is a good method to punish those whom rarely post in a forum but do read it alot and have posted something to get banned. If read access was still enabled it would really only be a very mild inconvenience to them and leave them more like to re-offend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

use a second internet browser like 'safari'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

but let's face it... that's effective as putting a sign saying "look over here" on the far side of a room to prevent people from looking out a window. As demonstrated by the poster before me it's dead easy to get around and offenders that offend in certain forums should get a board wide ban if they keep doing it. it's not like they're all separate sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I assumed the reason behind banning someone was to remove a disruptive influence to the flow of a forum. Would read-only access affect this? Not really IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Otacon wrote: »
    I assumed the reason behind banning someone was to remove a disruptive influence to the flow of a forum. Would read-only access affect this? Not really IMO.
    It's also to discourage the "offender" from being disruptive in the future. It's irritating to have to use a separate browser just to read a single forum. Hacking the entire permissions system so that banned people can read forums is a complete waste of time. Just don't get banned. It's dead easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement