Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick selection v Liverpool legends

• 08-10-2009 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Maybe should be put in the sport section? but thought id lob it on here seeing as its on in town.

http://limerickfc.ie/Home/home.html

Might be fun. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have been to some of the legend games in the UK and they are normally surprisingly good fun and can be very competitive, as there is normally a mix of younger ex pros to compliment the older legs of the genuine club legends.

I have a post about it in the Liverpool superthread in the soccer forum. Would be good to see some extra funds heading towards Limerick FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Might head up to that. Should be good craic. Be good to see Ray Houghton playing in the flesh. Any idea of ticket prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 notmyname79

On the press release it said tickets to go on sale today, but when i went to ticketmaster it said tickets not on sale yet and as far as i could see didnt give a date when they would be.
    Anyone shed any light??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

On the press release it said tickets to go on sale today, but when i went to ticketmaster it said tickets not on sale yet and as far as i could see didnt give a date when they would be.
    Anyone shed any light??

Just got this email reply from LFC

"Unfortunately there was a slight problem with getting the tickets online
    today, but they should be available sometime tomorrow morning.

However, if you are in Limerick, you can buy your tickets directly from
    Limerick Football Club (there is no booking fee if you do this). Tickets
    will be available at our match tomorrow evening (Limerick FC v Kildare
    County, 7:45pm at Jackman Park), or from the club office at Knockalisheen.

Tickets cost ˆ20 (Adult standing), ˆ10 (U16 standing), ˆ25 (seated), or
    special family ticket (2 Adults + 2 U16s) for ˆ40.
    Tickets for the post-match dinner at the Strand Hotel cost ˆ50 each.
    "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

clubs office is in co clare lol!!why not run it of the stadium or the club shop??

clubs office is in co clare lol!!why not run it of the stadium or the club shop??

They do not own Jackman Park, and for insurance reasons they cannot have their offices there. They also cannot train there so have to train out in Knocklisheen as well as having their offices there.

Limerick FC have been without a full time home for a long time now. They have played out of Jackman Park, Hogan Park, The Market's Field, and Thomond Park.

It's a bloody shame the club has pretty much been deserted by the "sports mad" people of Limerick, there were some great nights at the Market's Field, with a great atmosphere from the crowds back then.

Surely they can allowed to train and run an office there?

oh thanks nit my name my dad has to to look up tickets for him

Surely they can allowed to train and run an office there?

Too expensive for them to do that. The insurance costs for one would be too much for them to do that. The club does not have enough people coming to their home games to be able to afford that.

They are lucky to get a few hundred local people at most of their games now. Normally the travelling support for the other team outnumbers the Limerick support when Limerick FC play in Limerick.

But renting land and an office in clare must be costing them money and insurance too???As in why dont they have it where they play from

• Advertisement

But renting land and an office in clare must be costing them money and insurance too???As in why dont they have it where they play from

Meelick is a lot cheaper, it is as simple as that. When a club is on such a tiny budget, literally every euro counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

Should generate some much needed money for Limerick F.C. Its a real pity they don't have a permanent home etc. I'll admit I haven't been to a match in a few years but I think I'll try get to this one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Just got this email reply from LFC......
    ......Tickets will be available at our match tomorrow evening (Limerick FC v Kildare County, 7:45pm at Jackman Park),........
    Kess73 wrote: »
    ...The club does not have enough people coming to their home games to be able to afford that......
    .....They are lucky to get a few hundred local people at most of their games now.....

Go tonight and get one at the Kildare games. Will give you bragging rights over those who'll only go to the Liverpool games , "Well when I go to jackman park .... blah blah blah ....etc" , more money for club also and its a night out. If you do go to the games regularly why not bring a friend who might be interested in the Liverpool game and doesn't go regularly.
    MrFireBox wrote: »
    .....Its a real pity they don't have a permanent home etc. I'll admit I haven't been to a match in a few years but I think I'll try get to this one :D

Go on , go tonight - you know you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Normally the travelling support for the other team outnumbers the Limerick support when Limerick FC play in Limerick.

Not having a go Kess :) but iv never seen this happen in the ten years iv been going, biggest away following this year was St Pats in the cup. They brought 150. Att was 900.
    Only team that bring any sort of away following is Shelbourne and thats usually under a hundred.

Been some good news for the club recently with Pat Scully signing for 2 years, load of players already signing on already for next year, decent chairman coming on board and the Liverpool game.

Unfortunetly theres a group of sour people involved with a couple of junior clubs around town who love nothing better to make up lies and spread rumours regarding the club. Expect them to be working overtime in the coming weeks.

Dont get me wrong, the club is far from perfect and theres plenty of sticks already to beat it with. But the honest few lads who are running it seem to be paying for past mistakes by people no longer involved in the senior game.

Dept of defence gave them a long term lease on the land i beleive. With some funding over the next few years they could develop the place. To be fair the offices overlook the town. (Thomond Park might inspire them :))
    and its only a 2 min drive from Watch House Cross, and the new link road from Coonagh Cross will go right next to it.

Thomond RFC got a simular deal out there too, no doubt funding will be quicker coming to a rugby club though.

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Not having a go Kess :) but iv never seen this happen in the ten years iv been going, biggest away following this year was St Pats in the cup. They brought 150. Att was 900.
    Only team that bring any sort of away following is Shelbourne and thats usually under a hundred.

Been some good news for the club recently with Pat Scully signing for 2 years, load of players already signing on already for next year, decent chairman coming on board and the Liverpool game.

Unfortunetly theres a group of sour people involved with a couple of junior clubs around town who love nothing better to make up lies and spread rumours regarding the club. Expect them to be working overtime in the coming weeks.

Dont get me wrong, the club is far from perfect and theres plenty of sticks already to beat it with. But the honest few lads who are running it seem to be paying for past mistakes by people no longer involved in the senior game.

I am not slagging the club at all, I am bemoaning the lack of support it gets in Limerick.

As for the numbers that do actually go, you are being quite optimistic with your higher figures, and I wish the higher figures (and bigger again) were what actually went to watch Limerick FC play.

The figures for the home fans range from 149 to 752 per home game over the last 18 months, which is awful when you consider Jackman Park actually has a capacity of almost 8,000.

To the person that suggested that I go to the games if I do not do so already. I do try to get to the games but I have become very disheartened with doing so over the last year, but I still buy my season tickets and that way even if I miss games the club is still getting some small bit of income from my pocket.

The club I am jealous of is Cork City FC, although not for their owner/chairman and the financial wranglings of course.

What I am jealous of is the fantastic support that the team gets there, they have a ground that has roughly the same capacity as Jackman Park but can get crowds in the thousands, and just look at how the ordinary folk there helped out yet again last week to pay for the players to get a bus to away games.

I was love to see crowds of 3 or 4 thousand going to Limerick FC games, it would give the players on the pitch a massive boost, and the club a huge financial boost, which in time would translate to better players on the pitch and better results.

Below is a piece of an article about the Mervue game last month where the combined crowd of both home and away fans at Jackman Park came to only 284 people.

Sat, Sep 05 2009

The home side were highly motivated, following an unlucky defeat against U.C.D. last Friday and despite a poor attendance of just 284. Pat Scully’s side were without the services of club captain Pat Purcell as youngster Gavin Roche filled in at centre back against a Mervue side full of confidence following a battling 3-1 victory against Athlone Town last weekend

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2461/

Tickets went on sale at ticketmaster at 3pm. just bought mine YAY!

Is anyone going to the dinner in the strand after? do you think its worth 50 euro each??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

The club not being in Limerick is not an issue atall, look at Everton. They are called Everton yet they are from Seaforth, 5 miles from Everton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

It's a bloody shame the club has pretty much been deserted by the "sports mad" people of Limerick, there were some great nights at the Market's Field, with a great atmosphere from the crowds back then.

that is the price we pay for blanket coverage of english and european football on satellite tv, i guess. Its true though, you can't beat the feeling of being at a live football match with a good crowd, it písses all over sitting in front of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The figures for the home fans range from 149 to 752 per home game over the last 18 months, which is awful when you consider Jackman Park actually has a capacity of almost 8,000.

According to the Limerick FC General Manager they are actually one of (if not the) best supported clubs in teh division. It's a wider LoI issue not just a Limerick one. And I don't know where you got your 8,000 capacity from :confused: I was told by the Academy Director that they are hoping for 2,500, which I am assuming would be maximum safe capacity with so many kids there. Wikipedia lists capacity as 3,000.

• Advertisement

According to the Limerick FC General Manager they are actually one of (if not the) best supported clubs in teh division. It's a wider LoI issue not just a Limerick one. And I don't know where you got your 8,000 capacity from :confused: I was told by the Academy Director that they are hoping for 2,500, which I am assuming would be maximum safe capacity with so many kids there. Wikipedia lists capacity as 3,000.

I must have read the capacity wrong on wiki, you are correct to say it is 3,000.

I know that attendences are down in general in the LOI, but if you think that the crowds currently coming to see Limerick FC play are fine and good figures for them, then I guess we will be without a club in a few years as the better players will be picked up by clubs with more revenue.

You say that the academy director is hoping for 2,500. Do you mean that what was said is that they think they will have crowds of 2,500 at the games? Even though in September they were getting 284 to 350 people at a number of games?

The Mervue game had only 284 at it, and that included the Mervue support in that figure. I hope you are right with the 2,500 figure for the future, but I just don't see it myself. But a town the size of Limerick should be able to get crowds of that size and bigger alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

i was going to go to a game but paranoid of leaving my car around the area of the train station, where do people park when going to games? there were reports of the greyhound racing in marketfield that cars were being vandalised, im just wondering does jackman park have any problems?

I tend to park in town and walk to the ground or on days when I feel a bit more energetic I walk from home to the ground.

My thinking is that on a matchday any passing scrotes will see extra cars in the area and know the people are in the ground and out of earshot. It is probably me being over cautious though, but I just don't fancy coming out to a smashed up car. Plus you have the fact that it is a built up area and the extra cars can be very unfair on the people who live in the area as some match goers have a habit of parking wherever they want to. That's not a unique thing to Limerick though as it tends to happen near any sportsground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

They are lucky to get a few hundred local people at most of their games now. Normally the travelling support for the other team outnumbers the Limerick support when Limerick FC play in Limerick.
    You are completely wrong on this. I haven't missed a home game all season and this hasn't happened once.
    The Mervue game had only 284 at it, and that included the Mervue support in that figure.
    I was at this, and I honestly believe that they had no fans at the game. I only heard they players celebrating their goal, nobody outside the pitch.

You are right about how the "sports mad" city of Limerick has deserted them though.

There is a problem with people not being willing to give the club a chance, but if anybody does turn upo for a game, Jackman Park itself, the quality of the football, and the size of the crowd, doesn't exactly make you want to come back.

osarusan wrote: »
    doesn't exactly make you want to come back.

A few pre and post match beers and a laugh with the lads is sometimes needed in fairness. ;)

As regards the Liverpool game im hearing nearly half the tickets are sold already? The confirmation of big names seems to be generating big interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    A few pre and post match beers and a laugh with the lads is sometimes needed in fairness. ;)

As regards the Liverpool game im hearing nearly half the tickets are sold already? The confirmation of big names seems to be generating big interest.

What big names are lined up?

What big names are lined up?

Ronnie Whelan, John Aldrige, Don Hutchinson, Phil Babb and Michael Thomas are listed on the Limerick FC website as being confirmed.

Aldo was on the radio last night and mentioned that John Barnes, Jason McAteer, Mike Hooper, and a few others have been approached on it. With Barnes and McAteer now having a lot more time on their hands after being sacked by Tranmere.

Advertisement