Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fur ban for NAMA vote

Options
  • 08-10-2009 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭

A Green party member has organised about 100 members who are Animal rights activists and have voting rights on Saturday. The former councillor was on Matt Coopers Last Word and stated that if a ban on Fur farming is agreed in the reviewed programme for Government they will vote for NAMA.

FFS are these ppl serious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hopefully there's more than one way to skin a cat....

Explains why he's a former councillor, though....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Villain wrote: »
    ...if a ban on Fur farming is agreed in the reviewed programme for Government they will vote for NAMA.

If accurate, holy hell! The state of the country for years to come, hangs on the fate of bloomin' fur? :confused:

Seriously - IF true in any way - someone needs to be walloped with a "kop yourself on" stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Rory Houlihan was his name and this has been a story going around for a while, a lot of Animal rights activists have joined the Green Party in the last year and have the right to Vote on Saturday. Numbers expected to attend range from 300 to 500 so if 100 are voting based only on the FUR issue that issue would well decide if the Greens stay in Government and if Nama is allowed to run.

If 100 Animal rights activists get a ban on Fur farming and that is reason Nama is passed by the Greens and thus passed by the Dail this country will be the lacking stock of Europe, seriously this is crazy stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There are a handful of fur farms in Ireland which generate a decent enough revenue & employ a relatively small number of people, but can they really put what they call "animal rights" over human rights?

People choose to wear fur. People choose to eat meat. Both involve the slaughter of animals.

When Cooper put the question to Houlihan about farming animals for human consumption, he avoided it.

I can't believe that the government's future could be decided because of such idiocy... let's forget about unemployment, let's forget about income levies, pay cuts, reduced working hours, cut-backs in funding to education.. yeah, let's forget all that. Minks are far more important.

You couldn't make this sh*t up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Villain wrote: »

FFS are these ppl serious?

Generally, yes. Nor is there reasoning them.

Whether theres any truth to this story of course, is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just for the record, fur farming is a beastly practice. In order to keep the fur intact, unsoiled and undamaged, the animals are kept in really small wire cages with wire floors (so that any dirt falls trough the cracks).
    The cages are hardly bigger than the animal itself, so that it can't move and do damage to its fur. The wire mesh floor will cut the animals feet and it will be in constant pain from open sores, but it doesn't matter on the feet as they will be cut off the pelt anyway.
    While the animals are in solitary confinement, the cages are tightly packed, so that they live in crowded conditions with no room to maneuvre, which is highly stressful for them.
    article and pics here: http://www.indymedia.ie/article/30415

I applaud everyone who is working towards getting this practice banned.

Having said that ...mixing this cause with NAMA and holding the Green Part to ransom over it is just nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

peasant wrote: »
    Just for the record, fur farming is a beastly practice. In order to keep the fur intact, unsoiled and undamaged, the animals are kept in really small wire cages with wire floors (so that any dirt falls trough the cracks).
    The cages are hardly bigger than the animal itself, so that it can't move and do damage to its fur. The wire mesh floor will cut the animals feet and it will be in constant pain from open sores, but it doesn't matter on the feet as they will be cut off the pelt anyway.
    While the animals are in solitary confinement, the cages are tightly packed, so that they live in crowded conditions with no room to maneuvre, which is highly stressful for them.

Having said that ...mixing this cause with NAMA and holding the Green Part to ransom over it is just nuts

Indymedia, that bastion of credibility:rolleyes:

yeah well ...the pics give a pretty good impression either way

We battery farm chickens & turkeys, intesively rear pigs. If these guys were really concerned about animal welfare, hitting these industries would be their priority. Not a few sh*gging minks.

yeah well ...the pics give a pretty good impression either way

Ever heard of photoshop? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

+1. A bastion indeed.:D:D:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Save the Whales and the developers

Guys ...I agree with you that right now we surely have more pressing issues, I agree that there are many more animal welfare issues to be adressed in this country (we have no animal welfare law to speak of), I further agree that indymedia is pants and that some so called "animal liberators" are nuts.

That doesn't change the fact though that fur farming is cruel to the highest degree, absolutlely needless and should be banned tomorrow.

I think that these activists have done their cause a great disservice by holding the green party (and to some degree the whole nation) over a barrel with NAMA and getting these two totally unrelated issues mixed up to the detriment of the suffering animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Given the level of expenses floating around the Dail, any chance we could ban the fur coats first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I was talking to a local tonight who seems to think this is a real issue and a lot of Green members who have been members for years are very annoyed at how the party is been used for this purpose. I think this story will grow a lot before the weekend is out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

It says a lot for our politics ,God only knows what mockery is going on around the world.

It's uber depressing that fianna fail has us exposed as animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Nearly crashed the car when Cooper asked him "would you vote against NAMA if you dont get your demands met?" and he said "Yes" . .

I understand that these people have been canvassing for the likes of these kind of rights for animals, and in some way its at least consistant and true to their beliefs (more that can be said for the rest of the shower in power).

They are doing the right thing for the wrong reasons. .

If NAMA is right for Ireland, it is a far more important to vote for it for the good of the country. To be honest, fk you, if you vote no for NAMA, the country goes down and a minx never gets skinned here again . Explain it to my child why he cant get a job and why daddy spent the most part of his growing life stressed and possibly jobless so they could have one of their principles upheld . .

Can we not just get down to earth, balanced, fair people in power. They either have no morals or wont drop their morals for the good of the country ! ! Voting no for NAMA simply because of this fur drama is a kick in the face to the Irish Public . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It's classic political hypocrisy.

The Green amid others before the Lisbon vote, was telling us to vote on it despite how we feel about the actual government. The two being separate issues they claimed. One issue should not effect the other.

Now about a week later here they are deciding how to vote over NAMA but will go one way or the other just because of an unrelated fur issue...

My o my... don't the hypocrites forget easily ...and quickly! :(

One rule for us - and another for them!
    Welcome to the the current state of politics in Ireland yet again.

Biggins wrote: »
    It's classic political hypocrisy.

The Green amid others before the Lisbon vote, was telling us to vote on it despite how we feel about the actual government. The two being separate issues they claimed. One issue should not effect the other.

Now about a week later here they are deciding how to vote over NAMA but will go one way or the other just because of an unrelated fur issue...

My o my... don't the hypocrites forget easily ...and quickly! :(

One rule for us - and another for them!
    Welcome to the the current state of politics in Ireland yet again.

In fairness, the issue is being pushed by animal rights activists who joined the Greens just to sway this issue their own way.

That doesn't take away from the fact that the Greens are, in my opinion, a bunch of t*ssers.

Advertisement