Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders Waste in the pumbing - caused blockage - costs?

Options
  • 08-10-2009 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

We had a blockage in the apartment.

My problem is with the cause of the blockage. There was a copper T joint and a piece of insulation in the pipe that was the cause.

My question. Have I any rights regarding billing the builder for the costs i incurred removing it. The apartment is 3 years old.

I know I can 'try' but i would be interested if anyone has tried before or knows of any applicable consumer protection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

doubt it , hard to prove too especially after 3 years that means an awful lot of water before this insulation and Something else blocked the pipe, its life drains get blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

There is no way a 2inch copper T joint can get into the plastic wastepipe through my plugwhole - that's proof :) When the copper joint was removed the blockage cleared.

The expert said it was the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can always try. If the builder was home bonded, you have 10 years guarantee on all work. If the guy that removed the blockage is reputable, and willing to put a report in writing, you can use that. If the cost was under €2,000, you can use the Small Claims Court to get the money back from the original builder. It may or may not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

egan007 wrote: »
    There is no way a 2inch copper T joint can get into the plastic wastepipe through my plugwhole - that's proof :) When the copper joint was removed the blockage cleared.

The expert said it was the cause.

sorry misread your original post didnt realise the T joint was the obstruction thought it was just the insulation, I'd still say it would be a tough to try and get money off a builder these days or any day, and I think the home bond warranty only covers strutural defects but worth a try anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

jor el wrote: »
    You can always try. If the builder was home bonded, you have 10 years guarantee on all work.

Homebond only covers structural faults - it does not cover plumbing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement