Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good enough to challenge Carzone?

• 08-10-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

New www.cbg.ie website - is it good enough to challenge Carzone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

No i dont think so. Too similar pricewise to carzone.

Donedeal is the current winner at €3 an ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

I think Grand Prix should go to gumtree.ie. Absolutely for free, can add up to 9 pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    New www.cbg.ie website - is it good enough to challenge Carzone?
    Why cant they make these sites mobile friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Mmmmm - I dunno how many people would search on Gumtree for a car in comparison to Carzone / CBG / Cars Ireland / Done Deal. I know Cars Ireland do free private ads but in general if there's no charge people don't put any value on it. How many free sites are there out there now and how many cars are advertised on them? The above four are the not the only places I would advertise a car but realistically they are the only sites I would expect to get a result from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Ben Dunne is launching his new site on Monday, seems to be for buying and selling anything and everything, no doubt he'll get loads of free coverage about it.
    http://bendunne.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

just because you don't ever look into gumtree doesn't mean the others don't.
    From my own experience I can tell I've sold 8 cars this year , they were advertised elsewhere but when I asked buyers where did they see my add the answer was - gumtree.ie. :cool:

According to this pole on boards: http://ww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61173998 the percentages of where people sold their cars at the time were as follows:

29% Carzone
    19% Done Deal
    11% CBG
    4% Gumtree

Cars Ireland wasn't listed on the poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

CBG would have to half their prices before I would go near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd say they've missed the boat now anyway, they always seemed a bit slow off the mark anyway and to think they were ahead of the lot of them a few years ago. It's amazing how management can make or break a company. Not to say that carzone are a whole lot better, never follow up their e-mails etc. etc. and too expensive. It wasn't too bad when you could leave your car on until it sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

CBG was king before carzone took over a good few years ago. But it looks like the king is dying and the successors are nearly ready. Donedeal seems to gain grounds very quickly but, let's face it - it's a low end deal, suitable for the times we are in. Adverts.ie is making slow but steady progress. The email notification is a key feature (when it works). Gumtree is really bottom of the pack imho - not very well organised. Buy and sell used to be the low budget king, but it is struggling to survive as a company at the moment.

• Advertisement

I wonder what's missing in order to topple the successor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Reasonable costs, friendly staff (like Donedeal) and good deals for frequent users, they could also feature sellers cars, do a kind of spot check review of them like some of the car magazines do, make the whole site a bit friendlier, put a face to them so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cars have a picture in the search results, but not always in the car details.
    Search results can't be bookmarked.
    Price is a dropdown not a text box so you're stuck to 5K increments.

I could go on, but it really looks like more of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    ... Buy and sell used to be the low budget king, but it is struggling to survive as a company at the moment.

...tried using B & S this week for the first time in ages.........jeebus, it's awful. I put in a search for 911's, and half of them were either fictitious, 1.6, 4/5 door or diesel - sweet and gentle god - awful.

...tried searching for 'bikes too, and even worse.

They should do us a favour and plug their server out altogether........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

From a buyer perspective, the carzone interface with the sliding bars is just so slick, I can't see it being toppled anytime soon (although the new CBG seems functional). It really gives you complete control of a search.

I sold a car I'd advertised there last month too, and had no problems.

As someone mentioned above, when a site gives you the option to save specific cars to a profile - that'll be a step forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

I just favourite my specific searches for cars so i can check back every few weeks and see if new cars have been added.

Currently looking at civics, legacys and volvos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Dades wrote: »
    From a buyer perspective, the carzone interface with the sliding bars is just so slick, I can't see it being toppled anytime soon (although the new CBG seems functional). It really gives you complete control of a search.

I sold a car I'd advertised there last month too, and had no problems.

TBH, carzone was a lot slicker before they changed it...cbg is an improvement but its a case of too little too late IMO

Advertisement