Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness "Brewhouse" promotion circa 2006

Options
  • 08-10-2009 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭

Hello gang. I seem to remember a promotion Guinness had going on a few years ago where they would brew Guinness using the same methods and ingredients of certain times past called "Brewhouse".

The reason I ask is because I remember hearing that it was supposed to go on for ages, yet they quit after only two or three new-old varieties of Guinness were released. :(

At the time, I didn't drink Guinness so I despair now at what I missed out on. Can anyone here shed any light on why they stopped this and maybe how the Brewhouse Guinness' tasted in comparison to the original?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hello gang. I seem to remember a promotion Guinness had going on a few years ago where they would brew Guinness using the same methods and ingredients of certain times past called "Brewhouse".
    Nope, that was marketing guff. It was thoroughly modern Guinness, only tweaked slightly. If you're interested in genuine old-fashioned Guinness, Foreign Extra is pretty close. It's been brewed to the same gravity since at least 1820.
    The reason I ask is because I remember hearing that it was supposed to go on for ages, yet they quit after only two or three new-old varieties of Guinness were released. :(
    The plan was six. They did three: Brew 39, Toucan and North Star.
    Can anyone here shed any light on why they stopped this
    Probably because they weren't making any money at it. It's why businesses do most things.
    and maybe how the Brewhouse Guinness' tasted in comparison to the original?
    Almost identical. Reviews here, here and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

personally i wasn't able to notice any difference with any of the brewhouse series..

it all tasted the same as regular guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

pa990 wrote: »
    personally i wasn't able to notice any difference with any of the brewhouse series..

it all tasted the same as regular guinness

Yea, they appear to great difficulty in diversifying from regular Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I though the Brewhouse one was quite different from regular Guinness, but I may have convinced myself of this. I liked it anyway.

Remember their wheat beer years and years ago? Brau, or something like that.

Breó. The year 2000 is "years and years ago"? Christ, I'm a fossil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

There was something strange about Breo, that I found had having more than a few pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The North Star stuff was awful watery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Brockagh wrote: »
    Remember their wheat beer years and years ago? Brau, or something like that.

That was the not so good Breo.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

BeerNut wrote: »

I thought it was longer than that, but I can't remember for sure. If it's any consolation, I'm 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd say twas '98 - I was working in a pub at the time.

• Advertisement

Brockagh wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, I'm 38.
    Thanks, grandpa, it is :)

Breó was introduced in 1998. It limped along, at one point was withdrawn from pubs and relaunched in a blaze of publicity as a bottled beer for the off trade, and then some time in 2000 IIRC, disappeared forever.

Edit: Swift bit of research from the Irish Times archive: Breó launched 22nd April 1998, reported in the following day's paper. A report of 6th November 2000 says Breó is "being withdrawn", and on November 30th, the Breó brand is described as "ill-fated".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Remember there was Guinness Extra Cold. In the few years that it existed, I never realised you actually had to ask for it. For all there ads, they never spelt that bit out.

Is it possible to get a colder pint anywhere? I find that a pint is not cold enough for my liking.

Ask your barman for icecubes, just until the pub installs one of those slush machines.

Guinness Extra Cold still exists in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Ask your barman for icecubes, just until the pub installs one of those slush machines.

Guinness Extra Cold still exists in the UK.

nah, it'll make it too watery :D

Pity it can't be got here as I never tried it. I don't get to get out too often so tend to put my can of draught Guinness in the freezer for half an hour before opening. Sometimes though I leave it too long and it be becomes a slush puppy. Once the ice has melted, it tastes fantastic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah, in a lot of places here, even in the cold of winter, the only Guinness they serve is extra cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bazwaldo wrote: »
    nah, it'll make it too watery :D

Pity it can't be got here as I never tried it. I don't get to get out too often so tend to put my can of draught Guinness in the freezer for half an hour before opening. Sometimes though I leave it too long and it be becomes a slush puppy. Once the ice has melted, it tastes fantastic :p

When they first introduced it here many mainstream pubs only had the extra cold version and as I recall you had to specifically ask for the regular Guinness.

It used to give me an 'ice cream headache' and had even less flavour than the regular.

as I recall you had to specifically ask for the regular Guinness.
    There used to be a radio ad with a sarcastic barman. "Oh, you'd like it extra cold? Should I drop in some ice cubes or just blow on it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

There used to be a radio ad with a sarcastic barman. "Oh, you'd like it extra cold? Should I drop in some ice cubes or just blow on it?"

I remember another one where somebody asked for Extra cold, which they were given enthusiastically. Then another customer asks for a glass of water and the barman says "What am I, a tap???"

Busted my hole laughing at ten after hearing that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Is it an urban myth that when extra cold was phased out they, in fact, kept the chillers dialled down so now 'regular' Guinness is in fact the same temp. as extra cold used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

A lot of places serve guinness WAY too cold unfortunately.
    Guinness reps really need to get their act together to ensure a consistent pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I always think the sign of a good stout is that it's flavour improves as it warms to room temperature. Unfortunately Guinness doesn't pass this test which is probably why it is served so cold.

Bottled Guinness still tastes good warm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Ive only seen a north star tap in a sparse few pubs down Cork. Never tried it, forgot about it to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

noby wrote: »
    Is it an urban myth that when extra cold was phased out they, in fact, kept the chillers dialled down so now 'regular' Guinness is in fact the same temp. as extra cold used to be?

Yeah I heard that one too. Although my understanding of Guinness Extra Cold was that it was normal guinness with extra nitrogen added to it. This meant that pubs didnt have to turn down the temperature in their keg rooms, which wouls have been unfeasable if you think about it, as all beer kegs would also get colder. More nitrogen meant a whore of a hangover the next morning.

I never understood Extra Cold, there was feck all taste off it. Guinness is nice cold out of a bottle during the summer, put not the draught in a pint glass.

baztard wrote: »
    More nitrogen meant a whore of a hangover the next morning.
    How does that work then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

BeerNut

How does that work then?

You know Nitrogen the element that makes up 78.08% of the atmosphere. It is horrendous you should avoid it at all costs.

Can I get some sort of nitrogen filter mask? Can you sell me one?

Oh god, my hyperventilation is only making it worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Although my understanding of Guinness Extra Cold was that it was normal guinness with extra nitrogen added to it. This meant that pubs didnt have to turn down the temperature in their keg rooms, which wouls have been unfeasable if you think about it, as all beer kegs would also get colder.

More nitrogen would not make the beer colder.

If you want one beer served colder than the rest of the beer in your cold room (a lager, for instance) you simply pass it through an in-line beer chiller on the way to the tap. You are effectively passing the beer though a large block of ice just before it hits the glass.
    More nitrogen meant a whore of a hangover the next morning.
    Now I've heard some unlikely beer myths in my time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

The toucan stuff was very nice indeed.

If you want one beer served colder than the rest of the beer in your cold room (a lager, for instance) you simply pass it through an in-line beer chiller on the way to the tap.
    I don't think that's what they did with Extra Cold, though. It was a separate product with a different kegtop (blue rather than red) and one bar manager of my acquaintance said it was definitely a different product. Diageo were definitely selling it as software, though I don't know if there was extra hardware apart from the new tap handle.

When the concept first appeared in 1996, branded as "Coldflow", I remember the marketing guff saying it was exactly the same, except two degrees colder. However, I don't know if Coldflow was a different product from Extra Cold as the pub I worked in at the time refused to stock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was always under the impression that Extra Cold was just done the way that guildofevil described. Think I was working in a bar at the time too and the only difference was the extra end of line chiller. Although I'm not 100% sure on that.

Advertisement