Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't see the picture

• 08-10-2009 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Mods feel free to move this if in the wrong place.

I'm trying to play .avi file on my laptop but all i'm getting is sound and no picture.

Any ideas on how to fix this are greatly appreicated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The simplest thing to do is download VLC and use that as your video player.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I say simplest because it is self-contained and doesnt need extra codecs etc. So its not going to muck up your system or require other codec packs to be uninstalled etc.

Although personally I use Media Player Classic HC for playing videos, and the k-lite codec pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

+1 for VLC. Never lets you down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Vlc ftmfw. Best player out there, very lightweight too and i love the option of being able to add subtitle files into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

-1 for VLC.

Last time I tried it, it wouldn't run rmvb files without having RealAlternative installed (has that been remedied yet?). I've had problems with other more obscure files, but eventually found settings/internal codecs that would work, but it took some effort.

KMPlayer is much better, IMO, especially it's implementation in dealing with subtitle files (offsetting or changing timings, or even editing them - very easy to adapt a subtitle file to a movie it wasn't necessarily made for). Selection of alternative codecs is much easier too. I just find that it *works* much better than anything else I've tried "out-of-the-box", and I've tried quite a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I always just used WMP with klite installed. Never had a problem playing anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement