Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannavaro fails drug test

• 08-10-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

"Fabio Cannavaro has failed a doping test after taking a medicine containing banned substance cortisone."
    Cannavaro, who took the medicine in August, had sought an exemption, claiming he was treating a wasp sting.

Full Story

Sounds very minor but I don't know how they'll treat it. I don't remember any other players getting caught for using a "painkiller" like drug.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/07/paddy-kenny-nine-month-ban

paddy kenny was done recently with an 9 month ban for taking a cough bottle containing a banned substance. could be the end of Cannavaros career this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Cheating Italians? Well, I never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Cheating Italians? Well, I never!

Cannavaro took emergency cortisone following a wasp sting. The necessary report and paperwork were forwarded to FIGC, but not CONI. So CONI have requested a copy of the documents from FIGC. That's all. I, for one, am glad to see testing is done.

Your post, sir, is neither contributory nor funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/07/paddy-kenny-nine-month-ban

paddy kenny was done recently with an 9 month ban for taking a cough bottle containing a banned substance. could be the end of Cannavaros career this.

doubt it. its really nothing, they reported it to one Federation but not to another so all this will be is an attention grabbing headline after the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Not saying anything about the player in question but isn't it odd that the only time players get caught taking banned substances are through apparent accidents taking over the counter medication.

Obv this is apart from Mutu and the like who test positive for illegal drugs.

I just don't buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Major over-reaction.

It's basically just a matter of red tape.

http://www.football-italia.net/oct8y.html
    Wasp sting caused Canna 'doping'
    Thursday 8 October, 2009
    Juventus and the FIGC have explained why Fabio Cannavaro failed a drugs test, as he had medication following a wasp sting.

The news emerged this evening that the World Cup winner tested positive for cortisone and did not provide the necessary paperwork.

The FIGC has confirmed that the injection of the anti-inflammatory was made on August 29 after Cannavaro was stung by a wasp.

Juventus staff put together the report confirming a medical emergency requiring the injection and sent it to the Italy medical staff, but not to the CONI (Italian Olympic Committee).

Cannavaro went on to play in the World Cup qualifiers against Georgia and Bulgaria on September 5 and 9.

The red tape error was discovered recently and the CONI has now officially requested copies of the paperwork confirming it was a medical emergency and what substances were used.

Cannavaro and the Juventus doctor who made the injection have been called to testify at the anti-doping commission.

In the meantime, according to protocol, Cannavaro underwent a test which resulted positive for cortisone.

“The Juventus medical staff worked in respect of the rules and acted with urgency in August following a deterioration in his condition due to an insect sting,” read a statement from the Bianconeri.

“In such an occasion, the pharmacological treatment was necessary to prevent further complications, including lethal ones.

“The player and the Juventus medical staff will, as always, be at the full disposal of the authorities to clarify this matter as soon as possible, including any misunderstandings in the paperwork.”

Cannavaro is in any case suspended for the next World Cup qualifier against the Republic of Ireland due to yellow cards accrued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is a disgrace and I want FIFA to take a hard line on this. They can start by docking Italy 5 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    Major over-reaction.

It's basically just a matter of red tape.

http://www.football-italia.net/oct8y.html
    Wasp sting caused Canna 'doping'
    Thursday 8 October, 2009
    Juventus and the FIGC have explained why Fabio Cannavaro failed a drugs test, as he had medication following a wasp sting.

The news emerged this evening that the World Cup winner tested positive for cortisone and did not provide the necessary paperwork.

The FIGC has confirmed that the injection of the anti-inflammatory was made on August 29 after Cannavaro was stung by a wasp.

Juventus staff put together the report confirming a medical emergency requiring the injection and sent it to the Italy medical staff, but not to the CONI (Italian Olympic Committee).

Cannavaro went on to play in the World Cup qualifiers against Georgia and Bulgaria on September 5 and 9.

The red tape error was discovered recently and the CONI has now officially requested copies of the paperwork confirming it was a medical emergency and what substances were used.

Cannavaro and the Juventus doctor who made the injection have been called to testify at the anti-doping commission.

In the meantime, according to protocol, Cannavaro underwent a test which resulted positive for cortisone.

“The Juventus medical staff worked in respect of the rules and acted with urgency in August following a deterioration in his condition due to an insect sting,” read a statement from the Bianconeri.

“In such an occasion, the pharmacological treatment was necessary to prevent further complications, including lethal ones.

“The player and the Juventus medical staff will, as always, be at the full disposal of the authorities to clarify this matter as soon as possible, including any misunderstandings in the paperwork.”

Cannavaro is in any case suspended for the next World Cup qualifier against the Republic of Ireland due to yellow cards accrued.

You have obviously never lost a league title over this red tape you speak off :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I thought it was common practice for athletes to have cortisone injections to relieve pain if needed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I thought it was common practice for athletes to have cortisone injections to relieve pain if needed?

In amrican sports, yeah. it's banned by the world anti doping authroities though.

• Advertisement

What he took would have been fine had the paperwork been in order. It's just a matter of getting the paperwork sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It is a farce. According to the news agency ANSA, CONI got the documents at the time, and...............forgot to open the envelope :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The real question is, what kinda girl needs a painkiller for a wasp sting!?

So when he gets a tap and rolls around on the ground holding his face, maybe he is actually crying! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

enda1 wrote: »

So when he gets a tap and rolls around on the ground holding his face, maybe he is actually crying! :eek:

if hes allergic a wasp sting could kill him without treatment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

A drug scandal involving a Juventus player? Well I never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Yes that notorious diver Cannavaro :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

iregk wrote: »

Oh you're quick! And funny!

iregk wrote: »
    thatd work if it was actually a scandal

He's allergic. He could've died without treatment.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Helix wrote: »
    if hes allergic a wasp sting could kill him without treatment

The ironic thing is it could kill his football career:eek:

• Advertisement

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    The ironic thing is it could kill his football career:eek:

but it wont, because its a nothing story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

This is a joke and a half as far as i'm concerned.
    Tramp of a CB, but he didn't do anything wrong here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

gosplan wrote: »
    Not saying anything about the player in question but isn't it odd that the only time players get caught taking banned substances are through apparent accidents taking over the counter medication.

Obv this is apart from Mutu and the like who test positive for illegal drugs.

I just don't buy it.

Don't forget when they "forget" the drug test and go shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Real shame,he was one of my favourite players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Things like this shouldn't change things for you. He's still a ledge. It was a painkiller that he took and the only reason he is in trouble is because of a clerical error on the part of himself or his people.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

How is this thread still going?* It's a nothing story!

Yeah, cos idiots like me keep replying, i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Oh you're quick! And funny!

God your a grumpy one arent ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

He didn't do anything!!!!!:confused:

He was stung by a wasp.
    He's alergic to wasp stings.
    He took a treatment.
    Straight away his manager sent the documentation to both official bodies.
    One of them opened it, and said okay.
    The other forgot to open it, so months later come out and say, wait a minute!!!!!!!

It was their fault, not his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

He didn't do anything!!!!!:confused:

He was stung by a wasp.
    He's alergic to wasp stings.
    He took a treatment.
    Straight away his manager sent the documentation to both official bodies.
    One of them opened it, and said okay.
    The other forgot to open it, so months later come out and say, wait a minute!!!!!!!

It was their fault, not his.

Just to point out, yesterday on www.goal.com this story was their headline and it would "shake the world of football". They changed that story now, but that's why goal.com stories are banned from certain forums. Them make The Sun look like The Times

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Cortisone isn't a pain killer.

Canna doping case to be closed
    Friday 9 October, 2009
    The head of the Italian Olympic Committee's Anti-Doping office, Ettore Torri, is expected to recommend that the case of Fabio Cannavaro's positive drugs test be closed.

Torri will make an announcement tomorrow regarding the measures CONI will take against Cannavaro for using the banned substance cortisone to treat a wasp sting and then not providing CONI with the proper paperwork explaining the emergency.

The incident took place at Juventus' training ground on August 29 and while the Bianconeri informed Italy's medical staff they did not contact CONI.

A number of people have come out in support of Cannavaro throughout today, the most notable being Italy Coach Marcello Lippi who said the case was closed.

Cannavaro's Juventus team-mate Giorgio Chiellini also came to his defence, calling him “a very clean person.”

football-italia.net

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Weird.
    Cortisone is the one and only thing I am allergic to apparently.
    Hopefully i never get a wasp sting, or become a professional athlete:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

:rolleyes:

I just want to get this straight, Cannavaro a player who is allergic from bee stings (if untreated resulting in death) gets treatment for said bee sting with a non performance enhancing drug. The paperwork is promptly sent to both bodies and one of them forgets to open it = Cannavaro doping

yet

Rio Ferdinhand purposely misses a drug test, takes his long ban rather than gets re tested = not a word said

But hey, the premier league is clean, only italians dive etc.

Advertisement