Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get over my dog fear

• 08-10-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Apologies if im starting a duplicate thread but had a quick search and cant find an answer to this anywhere.
    I have always been afraid of dogs all my life but if anything it is getting worse with age instead of better, it really affects my day to day life and I've finally had enough. Can anyone recommend any treatment for this? hypnotherapy? anything that would help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lira

Have you ever touched a dog? Or had one sniff you?

My cousin had an unnatural fear of dogs until one day she just had to face it. She had to stay at my place for few days and as soon as she came into the house she started screaming (I mean - literally, full out roaring at the top of her voice) I've completely forgot about her phobia of dogs and naturally by boxer dog went to say hello to her.
    The dog had to be locked up inside the bathroom for an hour until my cousin settled down.
    We made my cousin close her eyes and let the dog sniff her so she would be familiar with her scent (had to do it 3 times because of all the crying).
    When the dog fell asleep I held my cousins hand while she touched the dog. She was amazed how soft she was. Still freaked out when the dog moved though.
    The next stage was just making her hold the lead while we walked the dog.
    It took a whole week and a lot of tears but at the end she was pretty confident around the animal.

May be you could ask one of your friends if they have any dogs and try to get together someday for an experiment?

The main thing to do around adult dogs you don't know is to avoid eye contact. They don't see you as a threat then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Have a phobia, its a nightmare - used to have a family dog when I was younger, still terrified.

Go and see a psychotherapist - really helped me - they help teach you how to react and calm yourself when you see a dog. I couldn't leave the house on my own I was so frightened and people in the main just couldn't understand and only made the situation worse.

Be careful though, I was doing really well and not letting meyself be pushed into situations where I felt uncomfortable but a friend of mine got a puppy and left it in the house even though I asked her not to. The dog jumped up on me and I threw up. I was furious as I had started to be able to go for walks on my own etc.

Do things at your own pace, follow the directions of the psychotherapist, even though I have gone back a few steps, at least I know I can make progess and probably over come this.

For any one with a dog, if you keep it on a lead THANK YOU - for anyone else, the Ah he wouldn't touch you, is really annoying and shows you have no idea what its like. Even if it is a KIng Charles puppy.
    KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEAD - YOU ARE MAKING LIFE A MISERY FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE AFRAID OF YOUR DOG IF YOU DON'T
    1 in 4 people are afraid of dogs.

Write to your TDs about the enforcement of the Control of Dogs Act - it worked for me - the Gardai in my area have been told the must make people aware that they should have their dog on a lead etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Thanks for the advise above both of ye, think i'm going to go down the psychotherapist route, i'll let ye know how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

You poor thing. I Had this exact same fear from the age about 4 until I was in my late teens. There was a stage where I would literally crossed to the other side of the street when a dog came near me and I hated going to friends houses who had dogs.

I found that as I grew older it did lessen slightly. But what helped me, and I do mean this, was when we got a dog of our own. He's so friendly and good natured that I couldn't be afraid of him and that carried to other dogs so that now at 23 I'm pretty much fine.

The odd time I get a little pang but it goes as soon as it comes!

Advertisement