Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Events Thread

• 08-10-2009 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

To complement the AGM thread, I think a thread for events that clubs and socs are running as well as AGM's is in order.

There are a number of things coming up at Maynooth Christian Union over the next week:

On Tuesday 13th of October, all students are invited to a free lunch in An Tobar, Student Services Centre organised by the Church of Ireland, and Presbyterian chaplaincies in conjunction with the Christian Union from 12pm to 2pm.

That evening Kevin Hargaden from Maynooth Community Church is speaking in An Tobar, Student Services Centre on the subject "Who is Jesus?" from 6:30pm to 7:30pm. Tea, coffee and biscuits will be available so if you are thinking of coming feel free to stay around until 8:30pm.

On Wednesday 14th of October at 4pm we are having our first Bible Study on the Gospel of Mark in the Students Union building, but we will be meeting at the back of the John Hume building so students new to the campus will be able to find us for the first week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Good idea, thanks.

Myself and Pisslips will be playing in an Alumni (Old Boys) vs Students Rugby Match this Wednesday at 3pm on the rugby pitch beside the River Apartments on the North Campus. It provides for an interesting spectacle with the old boys and student team always improving each year. The old boys have always won but this year the students are comprised of 15 scholarships(!) and have Barnhall's senior coach as their coach. I'll be in the back row or hooker for the old boys and pisslips will probably be at scrum half.

If there is any night to go to the SU for some pregoing out craic this will be it. We all head back there and get up to some serious mischief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Just to bump this thread again:

On Tuesday 20th of October, Maynooth Christian Union are showing the satirical film about Christianity "Saved" in An Tobar, Student Services Centre for Film & Discussion night from 6:30pm to 9pm. As always refreshments are provided, and all are welcome!

On Wednesday 21st of October we will be continuing our Bible Study of the Gospel of Mark in Meeting Room 2 in the Students Union building at 4pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I was a bit disappointed by that movie when I seen it recently I have to say. I'd only ever read good things about it and was underwhelmed. But +1 for movies with Mandy Moore in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Mandy Moore

spot on.

Also, while not my cup of tea, Maynooth C.U seem to do absolutely loads, fair play. Such active societies should be encouraged.

There was an Alt Music AGM poster up today with NO DATE on it, and I dont know how long its been up. It had a time and location though. *Thumbs up* Would've gone and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I've heard only great things about the CU. Seems like a very active society. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Just to bump again...

Maynooth Christian Union are having a guest speaker, Dr. Simon Nolan from the Philosophy Dept to discuss the Problem of Evil, more specifically the question "How could a loving God allow suffering?" on the 3rd of November from 6:30pm - 7:30pm in An Tobar, Student Services Centre. Tea, coffee and biscuits will be availiable so feel free to stay around and chat until 8:30pm.

Our Bible Study on the Gospel of Mark will be continuing after mid-term in Meeting Room 2 in the Students Union building (above Jucie Lucie) at 4pm on Wednesdays.

Maynooth Christian Union are also involved in an all Ireland project to give out 13,000 copies of the Gospel of Mark on university campuses this semester, so if you are curious and need a copy, go to our meetings, or send an e-mail via our website.

If you also feel in any way inclined, please join our Facebook group!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

A group of people meet up and discuss their short and long term goals. Keeps you on your toes and helps you keep a direction going in your life so a month doesn't pass you by where you wonder what you did with yourself. Guest speakers from time to time. Next meeting in on Wednesday up in one of tutorial rooms in JH. Might not be there myself this time, haven't decided yet. Join the group below and email Cormac Moore to be added to the email list if your intrested.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124683649204&ref=ts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

The first heat of the SU battle of the bands on on Tuesday 17th in the venue, come and support my band! :D

I play guitar in Gift (we had our name picked for us because none of us were in college on the sign up day), we're on at nine.

[/shameless cringey band plug]

n1475439997_3943.jpg

Monday- 6PM- Class Hall D (Arts)
    Social Solidarity Network/ Free Education for Everyone
    Also on the agenda: November 24th and the lecturers strike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Music Soc Song Contest

This Thursday, 19th November in The Venue. 3e for members, otherwise its a fiver.

Still taking entries, so PM me if you're interested! Covers or originals, it don't matter! :)

Is Hall D not way too small for that talk with Bertie?

:pac: Its a meeting on opposing Berties presence here, not Berties actual day out!
    I think the room will be a bit small anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

The Geography Society is co-hosting a talk with the Geographical Society of Ireland on Wednesday the 18th at 8pm. The talk, "Maps, Minds, and Mysteries", is being given by Prof. Stan Brunn, and it's on in the John O'Connell Room in St. Anne's (the building beside JH)

Oh and if anyone has any ideas for articles for Geog Soc's annual journal Milieu, just send me a PM :D they can be about anything, as long as there's a bit of geography involved!

PrivateEye wrote: »
    :pac: Its a meeting on opposing Berties presence here, not Berties actual day out!
    I think the room will be a bit small anyway.

face-palm.jpg

I'm a gold card member of the internet, and I dont get the context of the FP.

Room was booked last week by somebody else,should have booked rooms 3/4 above the SU,room is too small. sin é.

I read the poster totally wrong. Silly me. That's what the FP was. That, and I thought the picture was funny :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I'm a gold card member of the internet, and I dont get the context of the FP.

I will give a demonstration to you during the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

How about a low low priced night at the theatre...

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=214728011232&ref=mf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

NUIM Drama Soc presents Disco Pigs. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (1st to 3rd December) in the SU Venue. It's a play by Enda Walsh, also made famous by the film version starring a sexy psychotic Cillian Murphy... mmmmmm

Come see our equally sexy and psychotic actors doin' their thing!

€3/€5 entry (members/non-members)
    Doors 7:30

Facebook event page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=636791631&ref=mf#/event.php?eid=186179797381&ref=ts

• Advertisement
Advertisement