Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the "non-iPhone" app marketplaces like?

• 08-10-2009 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to decide on a new phone to buy for ages, and keep veering from phone to phone based on countless factors.

I don't really want an iPhone, but I know one of its main advantages is the breadth of its marketplace and the wealth of apps available - the whole "there's an app for that factor".

What I'd like to know is, in the experience of users here, what the marketplaces and app availability are like on the other systems - specifically the Android Marketplace, Palm's Web OS marketplace, and the Windows Mobile Marketplace. Do they have any relative advantages over each other, or interesting plans for the future or anything like that?

Any information is greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i've never really been a fan of the 'app store' way of getting applications. it usually implies some sort of approval process for what kind of apps get listed and if the app you want falls outside their guidelines in the case of the iPhone anyway you cant install it without using hax.

that and the fact that the people running those app stores do everything within their power to push paid applications on you. cant blame them for trying i suppose, if i want an app for a phone i go to getjar dot com which has gone to **** in recent years or just google for the sort of app i want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Windows Marketplace for Mobile has only been available for the last two days to users of Windows Mobile 6.5, so it's hard to give an accurate account of how good or bad it is. There were 246 apps at launch and that number will only increase as more and more apps are added to the catalogue.

I've used it myself and it looks good enough, however, I was only able to see roughly 35 available apps using Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

From use i gotta say im a fan of the Android Marketplace but it does have issues,especially here at the moment since no network officially carries an Android device yet.

Pros
    - At last count theres over 10,000 apps
    - Massive development community with a lot of users releasing apps for free
    - Much more lenient approval process and a turnaround time of hours from submission to marketplace
    - Easy backup of apps

Cons
    - Paid apps not officially available here yet(there are some ways around this but nothing official)
    - Google checkout currently the only payment option
    - Games are pretty basic for the most part
    - For a Google project the search is pretty woeful

Advertisement