Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfboard Hire in Strandhill

Options
  • 08-10-2009 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm going up to Strandhill on Sunday and am looking to hire a board.

I thought I read somewhere that local bylaws prohibit the hiring of any so you can't get one. Is this true or did I misread it.

If it isn't can anyone recommend a good rental shop? I'm only a beginner so a big foamie will do me.

Thanks,

CJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abcjonesy

Hi Folks,

I'm going up to Strandhill on Sunday and am looking to hire a board.

I thought I read somewhere that local bylaws prohibit the hiring of any so you can't get one. Is this true or did I misread it.

If it isn't can anyone recommend a good rental shop? I'm only a beginner so a big foamie will do me.

Thanks,

CJ

Hi yes this is true on Strandhill beech. The council do not have a lifeguard on the beach because it is deemed unsafe for swimming (dangerous rips/currents) so I think the the surf shop there cannot get insurance to rent boards out without going out with their own surf instuctors (who are probably trained lifeguards also?) Or mabye they can get insurance but dont to drum up business for lessons (I dont know really but you cant rent boards without lessons bottonline) Your options on Standhill are to arrange to go out with the surf school for lessons / or go somewhere else.

There are surf shops in Sligo town but I dont know if they rent boards. Get onto them,

If you go 40 mins north to Bundoran you can rent boards in the town there. I think they have 2 shops in the town.

Also Enniscrone has a surf shop but not sure what the craic is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I was in Inishcrone on Saturday and no rental services were available. But I was there in the morning (before lunch) only.
    I am currently thinking about one day on the beach again, so either Saturday or Sunday suits me and I am currently looking for destination and also some surfers to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Think you can rent boards in Rossnowlagh definitely in Bundoran you can.
    Probably hheading to Rossnowlagh or Portrush this weekend. Was hoping to go Sat but looks like i'll have to wait till sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisJefferies

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I decided to go for a lesson at Strandhill in the end but it was cancelled at the last hour due to weather. Ended up renting a board in Bundoran and heading up to Rossnowlagh.

Great spot and great fun.

Dangerous rips/currents at Strandhill is a little off putting. Is it really that bad?

Shame as it's the closest spot to me.

Think I'm off to Ben's surfschool in Lahinch this weekend cause I can't get enough now :D

Advertisement