Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anywhere to buy records in galway?

Options
  • 08-10-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

hi, i was in galway last weekend and generally spend a good bit of time there but i can't find anywhere decent to buy vinyl records,

anyone able to set me in the right direction??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Keane's fruit and veg in Terryland.

Records, Kerr Pinks, Pipers. You'll have to ask about vinyl though, not much call for them these days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Keane's fruit and veg in Terryland.

Records, Kerr Pinks, Pipers. You'll have to ask about vinyl though, not much call for them these days.
    I find you get a warmer sound from roosters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

HMV used to have a section for them but I think that's dissapeared. I don't think they can be found anywhere else in town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

what type of music are ya after

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

You'll be able to order them in thru HMV but you may as well order them yourself online. Bell book and Candle may have some but second hand ones..not even sure they'll have them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

itt: 1960

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

There's a record fair on this saturday afternooon in the Blue Note

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

Yes there is a record fair in the blue note on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

McTigs wrote: »
    There's a record fair on this saturday afternooon in the Blue Note
    mr biazzi wrote: »
    Yes there is a record fair in the blue note on saturday.

Is there an echo in here or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

hi, i was in galway last weekend and generally spend a good bit of time there but i can't find anywhere decent to buy vinyl records,

thanks

I saw a poster in Eyre Square today, for a Record & CD fair in the Victoria Hotel on Sunday October 18th. Did not full read it, and was miles away before i remember your post,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OK, online rather than in Galway, but you might try

http://www.hardtofindrecords.com/store/home.asp

there's another one but i can't find it right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

My advice - never ever EVER use hardtofindrecords. They are a bunch of scam artists, frequently selling downloaded mp3s cut to records. They've even been known to cut liveset rips from radio shows and pass them off as originals. Avoid them ;)

www.discogs.com
    www.gemm.com

are the two best out there and where I do almost all of my record shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think the record fair in the Victoria happens every month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

if its house techno electro your after, this guy is located in galway.ive never got anything off him myself, but that's only because im skint.his catalogue is very good though. http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?seller=undergroundsounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Bell, Book & Candle in the small Crane (behind the crane bar) which is that small square on sea road, has a vinyl section. I got a mint Ella Fitzgerald LP for about €15. Worth a browse now and then, and Paul Deacy(the owner) buys and sells, you never know what you might pick up there.

Also, if you're buying more than two or three things, he usually gives a discount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fmcd

thanks

My mum used to get some second hand ones about a year ago in the book shop back the west, where the craine bar is, the entrance is beside the side door of the craine bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gasolinehorsey

thanks for all your help, i got to the fair in the blue note and spent a fortune!!!

i got the details of the guys there and they travel the country so i'll be sorted for a while, their facebook says they'll be back to the blue note on nov 28th if anyone is interested

thanks again for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

What were the prices like at that fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

What sort of music was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Clearly there is a market out there not being served. Apart from Bell book and candle, i don't know anywhere else on the Western seaboard selling vinyl. Limerick has nothing. Nor has Ennis or Sligo. Online is a pain and as pointed out - the danger of getting just a vinyl pressing of a digital recording is high. Looking forward to the fair on the 28th myself.

• Advertisement

What were the prices like at that fair?

not bad, generally 10-15quid for good stuff - i got a lot of bits you wouldn't see too often. real collectibles more obv, but the stuff i got was in super condition

type of records, there seemed to be a bit everything except dance really

topper75 wrote: »
    Clearly there is a market out there not being served. Apart from Bell book and candle, i don't know anywhere else on the Western seaboard selling vinyl. Limerick has nothing. Nor has Ennis or Sligo. Online is a pain and as pointed out - the danger of getting just a vinyl pressing of a digital recording is high. Looking forward to the fair on the 28th myself.

completely is nothing out there, but i'm not sure if the market is big enough, look at dublin sure, some of the countrys oldest independant record stores are closing or in trouble! freebird closing, big talk of borderline closing, road records nearly closed down a couple of months back

Advertisement