Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

impounded car and insurance issues

• 08-10-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭

a friend was pulled over by the guards recently driving someone else's car that she'd borrowed
    and temporarily changed her insurance over to.

the car had no tax or nct, and her insurance company had not provided a cert/disc as it was a temporary transfer

the guards took the car off her and away to the pound in liosban

at first they wanted for the car to be taxed or put on a trailer before releasing it, but eventually
    they let her drive it out, at a cost of 230 euro

while on the phone to her insurance company to confirm cover, the company were saying at one time, that her cover was invalid
    for a car with no tax

so here's my questions:
    [1] can an insurance co deny coverage on the basis of no tax ?

[2] how long if at all have guards been entitled to impound for no tax ?

[3] i seem to remember talk of there being some EU law/directive/whatevva to the effect that an
    insurance company was not allowed to wiggle out of their responsibility to cover 3rd party risks,
    (assuming the driver had a policy,license,not disqualified). Anybody else remember anything like this
    and know which bit of law defines it ?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    a friend was pulled over by the guards recently driving someone else's car that she'd borrowed
    and temporarily changed her insurance over to.

the car had no tax or nct, and her insurance company had not provided a cert/disc as it was a temporary transfer

the guards took the car off her and away to the pound in liosban

at first they wanted for the car to be taxed or put on a trailer before releasing it, but eventually
    they let her drive it out, at a cost of 230 euro
    thems the rules that we all have to play by!
    while on the phone to her insurance company to confirm cover, the company were saying at one time, that her cover was invalid
    for a car with no tax
    It doesn't sound right but we can't see her policy. However, it might stipulate that the car be road legal!
    She would need to read her policy document.
    so here's my questions:
    [1] can an insurance co deny coverage on the basis of no tax ?
    as above
    [2] how long if at all have guards been entitled to impound for no tax ?
    since whenever! What does it matter - they can take it!
    [3] i seem to remember talk of there being some EU law/directive/whatevva to the effect that an
    insurance company was not allowed to wiggle out of their responsibility to cover 3rd party risks,
    (assuming the driver had a policy,license,not disqualified). Anybody else remember anything like this
    and know which bit of law defines it ?
    An EU directive means nothing unless it is interpreted into Irish law! It would be the Irish law that would be the one to follow up on!
    However, I don't know the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Insurance states that the car must be road worth and legal but i'd double check the small print.

The power to sieze the car is Section 41 of the Road Traffic Act 1994.
    This allows Gardai to sieze a car that is uninsured, reasonable grounds to believe that a car is uninsured or if its road tax has been out of date for over 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

at first they wanted for the car to be taxed or put on a trailer before releasing it, but eventually they let her drive it out, at a cost of 230 euro

That's insane. They let her drive away in an untaxed and possibly unsafe car? OP, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you friend was way outside the law on this one. I take it she's not going to bother taxing or NCTing it anyway? If she's still driving it I'd suggest posting her reg up here so she can be reported and/or avoiding.

What a lovely tale of ignorance, stupidity and laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The car in question is safer than many, although not NCT certified. The person it was borrowed from had some problems getting documents when he acquired the vehicle. Its now not being driven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

The car in question is safer than many, although not NCT certified. The person it was borrowed from had some problems getting documents when he acquired the vehicle. Its now not being driven

The car was NOT road worthy.... and shouldn't be on the road.

Also as the driver of the car, your friend is also liable for prosecution, whether she owns it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I was stopped driving a car with no tax or nct(and apparently no insurance).

Apparently my insurance only covered me if the car was in a road worthy condition.. This went to court.

I won. Suprise suprise..

Advertisement