Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are these "ambassadors" in high vis jackets?

Options
  • 08-10-2009 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I've seen these people walking round town in high vis gear with a notepad poking around everywhere and taking notes every so often as well as taking pictures. Who or what are they ?

Just saw a guy taking pictures today of circus posters on a phonebox.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I've seen these people walking round town in high vis gear with a notepad poking around everywhere and taking notes every so often as well as taking pictures. Who or what are they ?

Just saw a guy taking pictures today of circus posters on a phonebox.

Hi alan, they are 'street ambassadors' based on an american model of 'customer service agents' there purpose is to walk the streets of Dublin City (north & south) and report any concerns that arise within the Business District of Dublin City Centre.

They are paid 32,000e a year and work over 7 days working from 9.30am - 6.00pm (bank holidays they are paid triple time) they are based in 2nd floor of the O'connell Bridge House (heineken building).

http://www.dublincitybid.ie/

JJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I saw one yesterday walking down Frenchman's lane, taking pictures of kegs on the road behind Isaac's Hotel.

I was going to start this very thread.

It's all a bit Nineteen-Eighty-four-ish tbh.

32k though, nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Des wrote: »

Indeed.

Des wrote: »
    I saw one yesterday walking down Frenchman's lane, taking pictures of kegs on the road behind Isaac's Hotel.

I was going to start this very thread.

32k though, nice.

The reason they take pictures is because every day they report back to the office with 'evidence' of things that the DBID can bring to the of attention of the council.

Example; If you own a business in the city centre, you CAN NOT leave a rubbish bag outside your premises before 5.00pm, if you do leave your bag outside the 'ambassadors' will take a photo of it, make a copy of the number on the bag so the litter warden can come along and fine the premises!

The people behind the DBID company are the main players in the city centre,

ie: Arnotts, Jervis Street s/c, Eason & Son, Penneys, Ilac Centre, Clerys,

they all have a vested interest in the DBID company, by that I mean if something needs to be repaired outside easons on O'connell street the chances of that being done are sped up purely because it is easons and they are on the board of this company!

Great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I've seen people cleaning road signs the last few days. Is that part of it? First time I've seen that, ever.

Have seen quite a few of these guys about the place looking at graffiti and the like.

Larianne wrote: »
    I've seen people cleaning road signs the last few days. Is that part of it? First time I've seen that, ever.

Have seen quite a few of these guys about the place looking at graffiti and the like.

Yes they take pictures of graffiti and a 'rapid' response comes out and cleans the graffiti, only problem is it is sprayed again the next day, so nice that the company (Pmac) have got the contract for this!

Thet have their 'own' workers that are based in the council depots in Bow Lane and Moore Street who only clean the areas patrolled by the 'street ambassadors'

While in principle the idea is good, there is a lot of power being held by the DBID company when it comes to issues within the city centre (college green road closure for one)

The businesses in the city centre took a vote a few years back to introduce the 'street ambassadors' in the city, many of the businesses say they did not get any noticfication to vote on this and claim it had been passed by pressure form the big players in the retail sector in the city centre as mentioned above.

JJ

The CEO of the company has recruited his co-worker from the DCCC as his operations manager,
    she has recruited her friend as office manager,
    the CEO has his personal assistant employed (friend of his wife),
    they had a person employed with them actively working even though her work permit was revoked (worked for two weeks illegally),

Basically the company has power and connections within the business community which enable it to come down hard on those who are against paying the 5% on top of their rates bill (which is quite a lot)

Next time you see the 'ambassadors' ask them some questions, I can guarantee they won't have much to say (mainly because they are briefed each morning before they take to the streets Not to engage in any conversations with joe soap)

JJ

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

john-joe wrote: »
    Next time you see the 'ambassadors' ask them some questions, I can guarantee they won't have much to say (mainly because they are briefed each morning before they take to the streets Not to engage in any conversations with joe soap)

JJ

But that's not what their website says........ do you think they're fibbing? Surely not!

Gaspode wrote: »
    But that's not what their website says........ do you think they're fibbing? Surely not!

They are advised not to mention anything apart from directions and handing out maps etc...

There is a large part of the businesses in the cc that are against this company as they see it as an extra levy on top of high rates. They have a budget of 15million over five years to entice people back into the cc. What have they done so far?

Flower baskets, removal of graffiti, mmmm.... I think the dublin city council should/could do this out of the rates that the businesses pay already! thats why there is a lot of people against it...

• Advertisement

BIDs have received noteworthy criticism. For example, in Plymouth it has been claimed that vast amounts of taxpayers' money has been channelled into the promotion of the BID companies' directors business interests whilst their competitors has been left unsupported. Moreover, despite being forced to pay a BID levy, membership to the Plymouth City Centre Company requires the approval of its directors, who have been known to refuse membership due to an applicant having a business that might compete with their own. Critics argue that the BIDs provide services which should be provided by the government such as policing services. Critics also argue that there are services which should be paid for by the individual business owner such as sweeping/cleaning.[3] Other critics believe that BIDs are too large and wield too much power and are taking away power from neighbourhood community organizations. In some neighbourhoods there are now umbrella groups made up of commercial landowners, property management firms, and condominium dwellers which aim to stop the BIDs.
    BIDs have also become a powerful lobby group, lobbying government for improvements such as new sidewalks, trees, park benches and other restorations. BIDs can also lobby different levels of government for a complete facelift on their area if they feel its necessary to improve business.[4] The Rideau Street BIA in Ottawa has lobbied the city for years to give the entire street a face-lift because of its "run down" look.
    In addition, there has been some recent concern in social science literatures that critique aspects of the BID model.[5] It is argued that the devolution of limited political authority to the private boards of these districts effectively privatizes the public spaces of the city. This privatization is potentially problematic given the important role that is played by public space in a democracy as a site of free speech, association and protest. There is concern that overt control of BIDs by business and property owners results in the privileging of the interests of those people over the democratic interests of society at large. There has also been substantial attention to the manner in which BIDs have often attempted to rid the spaces they control of the homeless, ethnic minorities, and political activists who might frighten off potential shoppers.

Source; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_improvement_district

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Conspiracy theory forum is thataways
    >

:)

Conspiracy theory forum is thataways
    >

:)

:-)

Afraid not...

I have first hand knowledge..:pac::pac::pac::pac:

john-joe wrote: »
    :-)

Afraid not...

I have first hand knowledge..:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Please tell me its not from wikipedia though. That's where the internet takes its dumps!

Please tell me its not from wikipedia though. That's where the internet takes its dumps!

There is businesses in the cc who are very much against the DBID company,

can post names (companies) if needed?

Advertisement