Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garlic from China?

Options
  • 08-10-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been posted before... But can somebody tell me why Irish shops are so hooked on Chinese garlic? I've lost count of how many times I've searched for garlic at the local shop and various supermarkets and ended up bringing home the white-netted three-pack of garlic that says very clearly on the label, 'Made in China'.

I've just had a quick look online and found this old Washington Post article from 2006 so we're not alone.

But do importers really need to go as far as China to source competitively priced garlic for us shoppers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tescos regularly have spring onions from Mexico, coriander from Israel (they do have Irish coriander at the moment) and their asparagus usually is from Peru.

I always look at where food is from and try to stick to stuff that hasn't traveled so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

I always look at where food is from and try to stick to stuff that hasn't traveled so far.

Why?
    We live in a world where nothing is more than 24hours away.

As for food from China...certified food from China---no probs...but outside certitfied companies..i wouldnt use them

Voltex wrote: »
    Why?
    We live in a world where nothing is more than 24hours away.

As for food from China...certified food from China---no probs...but outside certitfied companies..i wouldnt use them

Are you serious?
    You see nothing wrong with flying/shipping food half way around the world when it could be grown locally or substituted for something grown locally?
    No wonder the world is rapidly running out of oil with people like you around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Tescos regularly have spring onions from Mexico, coriander from Israel (they do have Irish coriander at the moment) and their asparagus usually is from Peru

I had Superquinn asparagus for my tea not three days ago - seeing as it's been out of season since July, I doubt that it came from these islands... :o

Despite this, I've been trying to cut down on my food miles and what irks me about the thought of garlic from China is that one doesn't have to fly halfway around the world to track it down.

Plus... After last year's tainted baby milk controversy, I'm not too comfortable trusting Chinese food standards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

'Made in China'.

You should stop shopping in the toy section, methinks.

• Advertisement

Are you serious?
    You see nothing wrong with flying/shipping food half way around the world when it could be grown locally or substituted for something grown locally?
    No wonder the world is rapidly running out of oil with people like you around!

Would you be willing to pay many multiple the current price of product just so its grown locally?..where as such ideals are nobel and may command the following of other faddy consumers, its not a realistic choice.

Would you be willing to pay many multiple the current price of product just so its grown locally?..where as such ideals are nobel and may command the following of other faddy consumers, its not a realistic choice.

But it's not either-or. It's not as if the only alternative to shipping it in from China is paying a crazy premium to have it grown a thousand or so miles closer to my kitchen. And I'm not fussy. I know I can't expect a farmer in Lusk to satisfy the demand for garlic year-round. It doesn't have to be that local, but surely farming practices within Europe are sophisticated enough to supply the Irish market?

Oh, and to answer your question... I would be willing to pay a multiple of what I pay now. What usually happens is I'll pay over the odds for 3 bulbs of garlic in a white plastic net, and I will end up throwing away between 2 and 2.5 heads because they will rot before I have the chance to use them.

I'd rather pay more, secure in the knowledge that the garlic had had a shorter journey and would last for longer in the vegetable rack in my kitchen

Oh, and to answer your question... I would be willing to pay a multiple of what I pay now. What usually happens is I'll pay over the odds for 3 bulbs of garlic in a white plastic net, and I will end up throwing away between 2 and 2.5 heads because they will rot before I have the chance to use them.

I'd rather pay more, secure in the knowledge that the garlic had had a shorter journey and would last for longer in the vegetable rack in my kitchen
    I think us consumers in Western Europe will have to get used to the idea that the produce we consume thats at the lower end of the value chain will increasingly come from far flung places. The trend in European farming is for ever increasing net value of the yield from framing land. We seem to have a dis-trust of GMO, which as far as my understanding goes has shown there to be no areas of concern after 30 years of research, which means farmers will continue to move away from the low margin products and into areas that will yield higher profits e.g Rapeseed and biofuels.

My question, Voltex, was not if you think it is economically viable or, perhaps, inevitable that basic vegetables are flown half way around the globe.
    It was; You see nothing wrong with flying/shipping food half way around the world when it could be grown locally or substituted for something grown locally?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its very depressing when you go into the fresh veg section full of good intentions and can't bring yourself to buy the stuff you want cause of where its from. For instnace the mange tout and lots of other greens in dunnes are not only wrapped in too much plastic but also from Kenya. Just feels wrong to be buying this stuff.

Its very depressing when you go into the fresh veg section full of good intentions and can't bring yourself to buy the stuff you want cause of where its from. For instnace the mange tout and lots of other greens in dunnes are not only wrapped in too much plastic but also from Kenya. Just feels wrong to be buying this stuff.

Oh but it's such a good way of exporting water from arid countries!

I think us consumers in Western Europe will have to get used to the idea that the produce we consume thats at the lower end of the value chain will increasingly come from far flung places. The trend in European farming is for ever increasing net value of the yield from framing land. We seem to have a dis-trust of GMO, which as far as my understanding goes has shown there to be no areas of concern after 30 years of research, which means farmers will continue to move away from the low margin products and into areas that will yield higher profits e.g Rapeseed and biofuels.

Well, you raise a valid - if depressing - point. It makes me wonder where the loose garlic I buy in my over-priced deli-cum-supermarket of choice is coming from

It would be great to think we could source all our food requirements here in Ireland..but the reality is that we cant and certainly not at the price we, as a consumer nation, are willing to pay.

Why??.. if its of a higher quality to that that could be produced locally?
    I have direct dealing with many of the multiples operating here in Ireland, and I have to say qulaity is always ahead of price on target points.

Why??.. if its of a higher quality to that that could be produced locally?
    I have direct dealing with many of the multiples operating here in Ireland, and I have to say qulaity is always ahead of price on target points.

But by quality do you mean taste or appearance?
    For every perfectly shaped, perfectly red pepper how many misshapen, non-uniform examples are rejected, pushing up the price to the consumer/reducing the price to the producer?
    But do they taste better?

But I guess the consumer gets what the consumer deserves!:(

But by quality do you mean taste or appearance?
    For every perfectly shaped, perfectly red pepper how many misshapen, non-uniform examples are rejected, pushing up the price to the consumer/reducing the price to the producer?
    But do they taste better?

But I guess the consumer gets what the consumer deserves!:(

Well...the term "quality product" is subjective and different from product to product. But my personal opinion is that a a quality prouct meets, at a minimum, the full expectations of the consumer.
    My point is that in the main, people in Ireland want quality food...but they dont want to pay for it, except for the "faddy consumers" as i like to call them...now thats by no means an inslut to them, its just that its a trend they buy into fo a time....a fad....but at the end economics dictates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It would be great to think we could source all our food requirements here in Ireland..but the reality is that we cant and certainly not at the price we, as a consumer nation, are willing to pay.

I think you are underestimating our potential here, 80% of Irish beef is exported for instance, clearly at the very least we are capable of producing all the meat products we need but we are still importing from Brazil and other countries-why?
    The aforementioned garlic is another example of something which can be easily produced here, there's no reason for it to come from China, nor is there any need for spring potatoes from Israel, etc, etc. Food production needs to move back in sync with the seasons and will be forced to do so sooner than you think.

I think you are underestimating our potential here, 80% of Irish beef is exported for instance, clearly at the very least we are capable of producing all the meat products we need but we are still importing from Brazil and other countries-why?
    The aforementioned garlic is another example of something which can be easily produced here, there's no reason for it to come from China, nor is there any need for spring potatoes from Israel, etc, etc. Food production needs to move back in sync with the seasons and will be forced to do so sooner than you think.

I dont think i could agree with you on the food in season opinion.
    What you also have to remeber is that the multiples will also have to ensure availabilty on this produce as well.

Advertisement