Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Car?

• 08-10-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Need to get a car - no trade in and have a budget of about 20k.

Had an avensis, mondeo, volvo s40 and a few other cars before that - all family sesnsible diesel cars and BORING, althohugh the mondeo was fun for brief moments but lacked serious power that I want.

Im only 29 with thankfully no family or responsibilities so back seats are not important! Drive less than 15000 miles PA so I'm thinking maybe petrol although I always drive diesel as residual values seem better.

Want something fast, with decent residual values. Nothing too flash/showy ...ideally a sleeper of sorts maybe!

Reliability is essential, fuel economy is not as important, although I would like to avoid the 2000 road tax if possible as this will prob increase in december!!!!!!

Anyway this is my list so far in order of priority. - Looking for value for money and dont want a rep mobile or boy racer car

1. VW Golf GTI Mark V - looks great in black 3 door - is it value 4 money?
    2. Mazda 6 MPS - subtle but plain looking with cheap interior!
    3. Mazda 3 MPS - ugly!
    4. Focus ST - lot of cash for a focus!
    5. An R type volvo s60/s80 - don't know much about these reliability wise etc
    6. Honda Accord - petrol or diesel?
    7. BWM 3 series coupe - cabin is cramped for me
    8. 2008 mondeo titanium x sport - top spec
    9. Audi S3 - very expensive and a bit cramped too
    10. BMW 5 series
    11. Audi RS6 - old uk import!,

Suggestions anyone?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Octavia VRS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'd go for the Mazda 6 Mps or an Accord euro R maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

BMW 530i or 530d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

350Z

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭batperson

some interesting ideas there - 350z is getting on a bit but I love the deisgn of them although not exactly a sleeper of sorts!

VRS seems good but it looks too bland and old manish IMO and maybe a little too sensible!

Don't know anything about the bmws although I would have thought they are very heavy and therfore far from quick?

anyone know what cars are more expensive to import from the uk and which ones are worthwhile? with the VRT change last year i know 2008 diesels are better for resale due to road tax being cheaper but I dont know about anything pre 2008 or petrol cars...anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

cant go wrong with a jap car, go for the honda

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭batperson

Which Honda? engine? and is uk import more expensive re: road tax?

I forgot to mention the Volvo R60 on the list too!

Keep the ideas flowing!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

1.new mondeo is a truely excellent drive, and i love it, but def not a sports car,

2.mazda 6 mps is an excellent car very quick excellent handling but very very heavy clutch

3. 350z is brilliant fun and increadably quick

4.bmw 535d 3 liter twin turbo that can be easily brought over 300bhp with a standard 350 euro remap and still gives 37 mpg grat car unreal torque

5.bmw 330i or 330d both excellent the d gives 44 mpg cars or if your brave an M3

6.saab 9-5 2.3t Aero 250 bhp and reasonable tax, but front wheel drive

7. volvo C70 2.3t

8. audi s4 2.7 bi-turbo

9.alfa 159 gorgeous

10 maserati 3200 reasonably priced now and very rare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

If you're looking for something in a saloon format, try the accord euro r. The cl7 is available from 2002 up, and shares the same engine as the DC5 integra type r. 220bhp with LSD as standard. Definitely a bit of a sleeper, save for a more agressively styled front with subtle side skirts and a nice backend with the dual exhaust. Internals are okish, comes with Recaro's as standard and with upgraded stereo/climate control/sat nav as an option.

They were quite pricy up until last year, but have since come down. Expect around the 16k mark for the 2003 model. Theres one up on adverts right now, which is well specced. I have one myself so if you have any additional questions just drop me a message.

Advertisement