Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yes to jobs...

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

This post has been deleted.

Seriously do you honestly believe the government didnt know that jobs where going at aer lingus. Are Yes voters that naive?
    Of course the announment was held back until after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Dob74 wrote: »
    Seriously do you honestly believe the government didnt know that jobs where going at aer lingus. Are Yes voters that naive?
    Of course the announment was held back until after the election.

I take it you missed this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... with the exception of some "No" advocates who were so distracted by the effort of making dire predictions of what might happen in the future that they lost sight of what was actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

That was bonkey's phrase, not kryogen's, and I don't think it was taken as a direct quote,
    With more of that pedanticism that someone mentioned...it wasn't my phrase at all. I took it from the person (and post) I was responding to at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

bonkey wrote: »
    pedanticism

To beat the rush...

Pedantry, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

bonkey wrote: »
    To beat the rush...

Pedantry, actually.
    Oh look, irony:)[1]

[1] Or ironicalness:p.

Besides, pedanticism is a real word, it's just everyone's been using the shorter one instead since round about the Regency period

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

sceptre wrote: »
    Oh look, irony:)

Besides, pedanticism is a real word, it's just everyone's been using the shorter one instead since round about the Regency period
    I really shouldn't even try to be pedant-in-chief, when I know sceptre's lurking around the corner... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    bonkey asked where yes voters have claimed that "the EU will step in and aid us" and kryogen's reply gave not only articles that did not contain that direct quote but articles that did not in any was suggest that the EU would aid us. Instead he gave articles that talk about investor confidence, a more efficient and dynamic EU, attractiveness which stems from a positive approach to EU membership etc.

"Creating a link between Lisbon and jobs" =/= "the EU will step in and aid us"

I'm not the one erecting straw men here.

sigh, make of these what you will. people only ever see what they want to see anyway i guess

"Europe provides an essential foundation for recovery"

"The IDA, the organisation which is responsible for attracting industry form abroad to provide jobs for our people have said a yes vote is essential if we are to continue to attract those jobs"

"A Yes vote will support confidence in Ireland as a place to invest."

"the No arguments have been reduced to saying "there's nothing in the Treaty about jobs". This is nonsense. Economic growth and full employment are set out as explicit objectives of the Union "

"For those who are concerned with sustainable economic recovery a Yes on Friday is essential"

"Junior Minister and Clare Deputy Tony Killeen has said that Ireland's acceptance of the Lisbon Treaty in the upcoming Referendum would greatly assist Irish economic recovery"

"we can be sure that voting Yes to Lisbon is a vote for economic recovery in both Ireland and Europe"

""Voting Yes will enhance Ireland's ability to attract investment."

"Investment, growth and job creation for Ireland are not possible without membership of a dynamic EU."

"Ireland needs a reformed EU to tackle the Economic Crisis:"

"• By dispelling any uncertainty about its status in Europe, Ireland will enhance its attractiveness as a destination for Foreign Direct Investment."

"• Ireland’s attractiveness as a destination for Foreign Direct Investment stems directly form its positive approach to EU membership, which offers a secure gateway to a market of 500 million people."

"• At a time when competition for foreign investment is very strong, Ireland needs to show that it is fully committed to supporting a dynamic European market."

"This will improve Ireland’s competitiveness and drive employment as Ireland strives to become a knowledge-based economy."

"Voting Yes will create more trade opportunities for Ireland:"

"Ireland will reap the benefits of being part of a more influential and better functioning power bloc."

didnt realise you had to spoonfeed info to adults

T
    But where does it say in that,that overnight aerlingus would become profitable as a result of the last ballot being counted or any other airline in Europe for that matter?

where did i say that was what i was providing information on?

I merely asked the question vis a vis the op's stupid comments.
    I think I'm already on record as understanding what the yes to jobs slogan was about and which you are helpfully assisting with those quotes.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    sigh, make of these what you will. people only ever see what they want to see anyway i guess

Seems so....

Could you point out the one where the EU steps in and financially aids us because I can't see it

Maybe we need some clarification. I'm talking about financial aid in terms of the EU just giving us money, not increased attractiveness, confidence, opportunities and stability that comes as a result of committed membership of a more efficient post Lisbon EU.......because that's not financial aid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

I couldnt be arsed reading the last 15 pages of sh*te. So a quick synopisis in where these jobs ye yes voters voted on are will sufffice??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I couldnt be arsed reading the last 15 pages of sh*te. So a quick synopisis in where these jobs ye yes voters voted on are will sufffice??

Plenty of job announcements in the last week.

Aer Lingus was shedding jobs anyway, a link was provided in the thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Software giant Citrix is to grow its workforce in Ireland by 20 additional workers, bringing its total headcount in the country to 120 people. Ireland’s recent Lisbon Treaty "Yes" for Europe was a decisive factor, says Citrix management.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/14101/business/citrix-creates-20-new-jobs-at-irish-operations

Looks like the "Yes" vote did actually create some jobs (Cue: wailing that it's only 20 jobs..)

Heard about aer lingus alright.

I couldnt be arsed reading the last 15 pages of sh*te.

How do you know if it's sh*te if you don't read it? And what are you doing in a discussion forum if the discussion does not interest you?
    So a quick synopisis in where these jobs ye yes voters voted on are will sufffice??

In the pipeline, dear boy, in the pipeline.

How do you know if it's sh*te if you don't read it? And what are you doing in a discussion forum if the discussion does not interest you?

In the pipeline, dear boy, in the pipeline.

Because Im sure its like any other discussion to do with Lisbon the same people repeating themselves over and over and both sides accusing each other of lies and peoples bias opinions etc.
    If you dont want to answer me dont bother, It was a simple enough question I wasnt taken the mick just wondering were there concrete jobs not peoples opinions alright. Clearly it does interest me if I asked :rolleyes:

Because Im sure its like any other discussion to do with Lisbon the same people repeating themselves over and over and both sides accusing each other of lies and peoples bias opinions etc.
    If you dont want to answer me dont bother, It was a simple enough question I wasnt taken the mick just wondering were there concrete jobs not peoples opinions alright. Clearly it does interest me if I asked :rolleyes:
    If it interests you, read the thread. If you don't want to read the thread, don't bother "contributing".

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If it interests you, read the thread. If you don't want to read the thread, don't bother "contributing".

I`ll contribute if I like Oscar and Ill read what I do and dont want and I wont have you dictating to me so you may get that into yer head right now.

• Advertisement

I`ll contribute if I like Oscar...
    Not for the next week, you won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

taconnol wrote: »
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/14101/business/citrix-creates-20-new-jobs-at-irish-operations

Looks like the "Yes" vote did actually create some jobs (Cue: wailing that it's only 20 jobs..)

Paypal announced a few too.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1012/breaking13.htm

No idea if it was "Yes" affected or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

taconnol wrote: »

And ya just lost 119
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/1014/jobs.html

Yes.

Next question?

Well isn't it? I thought article 27 said "There shall be 20 jobs created at Citrix" and article 68 said "There shall be 119 jobs lost at Harris".

I thought that the only possible interpretation of "yes for jobs" was that they were explicitly spelled out in the treaty :confused:

Have I been reading the wrong treaty? :eek:

Advertisement