Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raider Fans

• 09-10-2009 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Just curious to see how many Raider Fans are here on boards.ie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

There seems to be more then I was expecting, we're probably second behind Pats as most supported on the forum, well out of the regularish posters anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

ye would be interesting to see how many support each team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

raiders fan be me anyway

maybe we could put up a poll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

There seems to be more then I was expecting, we're probably second behind Pats as most supported on the forum, well out of the regularish posters anyway.

Pity we're not second behind the Pats on the field too. Still at least you can't accuse Raider fans of being bandwagoners or fair weather fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I'm feeling ur pain lads. I'm a Charger fan who has to endure all that 'Commitment to Excellence' BS back when we were pure ****e. Until u have yourselves rid of Al methinks u are gonna struggle to get anywhere near competitive. Oh and ditch that NFL impersonator u have in the number 2 shirt. He is a joke. How long before your D starts a mutiny!?.

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I'm feeling ur pain lads. I'm a Charger fan who has to endure all that 'Commitment to Excellence' BS back when we were pure ****e. Until u have yourselves rid of Al methinks u are gonna struggle to get anywhere near competitive. Oh and ditch that NFL impersonator u have in the number 2 shirt. He is a joke. How long before your D starts a mutiny!?.
    Some, if not a majority of raiders fans do want rid of him! But he isnt the main problem. Give Al Davis his sanity back and wins will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

heyjude wrote: »
    Pity we're not second behind the Pats on the field too. Still at least you can't accuse Raider fans of being bandwagoners or fair weather fans.

Well that does depend on what age they are..

Well that does depend on what age they are..

well the majority of pats fans now a days are certified bandwagoners thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

well the majority of pats fans now a days are certified bandwagoners thats for sure.

True, same in all sports though really. Man Utd fans, lads from Leinster and Connaght supporting Munster. Fools.
    The thing about Nfl is that you can't tell where your team is gonna be in 5 years time,which i think is brilliant.
    It doesn't take a whole lot to turn a franchise around and get them at least competitive. Then, when a team like the Pats dominate for a few years, you can't help but being in awe of their brillance, no matter who you support, because you know how hard it is to be consistently good in this league.

Keep the faith Raiders fans(not that i'm in a position to be condescending:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Really? So Im 18 years supporting them and I introduce family members to the game and because of me they follow the team does that make them bandwagon? Because when I was 4 I followed Liverpool due to my Older Bro following them. So I guess that makes me bandwagon.

I wouldnt say majority without proof. I have met alot of Pats fans in recent months and yes some have been your arrogant dumbass bandwagon muppetts but some have made the effort to actually learn everything about the team, go to games or plan to go to games and know their stuff. So how do you define bandwagon?

• Advertisement

I wasnt saying you are a bandwagoner it is quite obvious you are not.

But there is no denying that over this side of the world the patrirats have more bandwagoners than any other nfl team, and wembley will be full of them.

I wasnt saying you are a bandwagoner it is quite obvious you are not.

But there is no denying that over this side of the world the patrirats have more bandwagoners than any other nfl team, and wembley will be full of them.

I wasnt asking you was I? I was using the example of family members. The reason its easier for me or any other Pats fan to sell the team to friends or family is because of recent success and Tom Brady :D

Successful teams will always carry a sh1t load of muppett bandwagoners and the Patriots success in 7 years will do that. Look at any other sport though Utd in Soccer being prime example.

But to say as you did the "majority" of Pats nowadays is just mad. Is it not better the sport gains interest from more and more people? Especially this side of the Atlantic. If a teams recent history is the reason they follow the team so be it but..

But once they dont become a$$holes like some Pats fans out there who have no idea of the teams history, or couldnt even name the full current roster, or who will never go spend money to watch them play but will be that a$$hole in the pub who will slag other follower of different teams. I think we can all agree those bandwagoners are the ones we all hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Doesn't apply to me.

Just picked the Patriots at complete random in one of the older Madden games, didn't have a clue if they won a superbowl etc or predicted their success.

So therefore, I'm not a 'bandwagoner' and bloody proud. Although trying to tell other people that is easier said than done and wrecks my head.

This thread is going to turn into a "JaMarcus Russell is a bust!/Al Davis is a nutter" epic! :D

This thread is going to turn into a "JaMarcus Russell is a bust!/Al Davis is a nutter" epic! :D

Nope Eagle Eye and Davyjose will hijack it and make it Brady/Manning, Pats/Colts thread :D:D:D:D:D

Because we all know JMR and Al Davis are a bust and a lunatic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

But once they dont become a$$holes like some Pats fans out there who have no idea of the teams history, or couldnt even name the full current roster, or who will never go spend money to watch them play but will be that a$$hole in the pub who will slag other follower of different teams. I think we can all agree those bandwagoners are the ones we all hate.

While I agree with your sentiments over who we hate, i think its a bit extreme to ask all "genuine fans" to know a 53man roster. I'm a giants fan (Aunt in NY when I was younger used to send back NY Giants stuff), and have been really following them pretty much since we drafted Eli but this year is the first year that I've been really active following them, as in watching pre-season games, watching all their reg season games so far etc and I know maybe 60% of the names on the roster. Does that make me a Bandwagon Fan?

I dont think so. I'm guessing here but I'd say the majority of posters on the Am football section of boards would not know the entire 53man roster of their team either.

And I think what Head Hunter ment when he said the "majority of patriot fans are bandwagoners" is that the majority of Pats fans outside America are bandwagoners, which is likely true. 6 people I know in my college course are "Pats Fans" but aside from Tom Brady few could name another pats player. I don't even support them and I could name more players than all of them. With being so successful you've got to accept the consequences, just like Man Utd have the ABU's the patriots have the ABP's, and just like United have the bandwagon fans so do the pats.

While I agree with your sentiments over who we hate, i think its a bit extreme to ask all "genuine fans" to know a 53man roster. I'm a giants fan (Aunt in NY when I was younger used to send back NY Giants stuff), and have been really following them pretty much since we drafted Eli but this year is the first year that I've been really active following them, as in watching pre-season games, watching all their reg season games so far etc and I know maybe 60% of the names on the roster. Does that make me a Bandwagon Fan?

I dont think so. I'm guessing here but I'd say the majority of posters on the Am football section of boards would not know the entire 53man roster of their team either.

And I think what Head Hunter ment when he said the "majority of patriot fans are bandwagoners" is that the majority of Pats fans outside America are bandwagoners, which is likely true. 6 people I know in my college course are "Pats Fans" but aside from Tom Brady few could name another pats player. I don't even support them and I could name more players than all of them. With being so successful you've got to accept the consequences, just like Man Utd have the ABU's the patriots have the ABP's, and just like United have the bandwagon fans so do the pats.

When I talk about roster I would expect them to at least know the start Offense and Defense. Why not? You would expect a Man utd fan to know at minimum the starting 11 in fact the regular 20 odd players they would use in any given season.

As for this
    And I think what Head Hunter ment when he said the "majority of patriot fans are bandwagoners" is that the majority of Pats fans outside America are bandwagoners, which is likely true

That makes every American Football fan outside the US bandwagon doesnt it? I know bandwagon fans living in the US especially in the younger generation.

As for you 60% to me means no you are not bandwagon. As you have made the effort to know your team. But as you explained some of your friends who are pats fans and only know Tom Brady? Yeah band wagon.

You missed my point while I say full roster i dont mean it literally and apologise for giving off that impression. But I would expect a real fan as I said to at least know a good majority of the players. Nothing worse than sitting beside a bandwagon in a pub watching a game and they dont even know the RB or WR with the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

True, same in all sports though really. Man Utd fans, lads from Leinster and Connaght supporting Munster. Fools.
    The thing about Nfl is that you can't tell where your team is gonna be in 5 years time,which i think is brilliant.
    It doesn't take a whole lot to turn a franchise around and get them at least competitive. Then, when a team like the Pats dominate for a few years, you can't help but being in awe of their brillance, no matter who you support, because you know how hard it is to be consistently good in this league.

Keep the faith Raiders fans(not that i'm in a position to be condescending:o)

Don't think you're 100% correct where Man Utd are concerned, they were the best supported team in England throughout the past 40 years, even when they were relegated in the 70s and went through 26 years without winning the First Division, though supporters of a 1992 onwards vintage would possibly qualify for the bandwagon label, as they've never known a situation where Utd weren't among the likely winners every season. I often wondered where all the Leeds and Blackburn fans from the early 90s went to and in the NFL, the numbers of 49ers and Cowboys fans seems to have slumped from the late 80s early 90s and been replaced by fans of the Patriots and Colts. The bandwagon seems to have stopped at several stations !

Because we all know JMR and Al Davis are a bust and a lunatic :D

Off The Marcus i agree with u there but hold on a second with regard to Al Davis. A lunatic?!?! are u for real? the man is a HOF'er and one of the GREATEST owners in NFL history! He is someone fans of the game owe a lot to if it weren't for him the NFL may not be what it is today.

Regardless of what you think of Al Davis, the man is no lunatic. I am not standing up for his actions in recent years with regard to the Raider organisation and i do believe it would greatly help us become competitive again if he hands over control to a GM. but to call him a lunatic is insulting to him and his legacy.

Off The Marcus i agree with u there but hold on a second with regard to Al Davis. A lunatic?!?! are u for real? the man is a HOF'er and one of the GREATEST owners in NFL history! He is someone fans of the game owe a lot to if it weren't for him the NFL may not be what it is today.

Regardless of what you think of Al Davis, the man is no lunatic. I am not standing up for his actions in recent years with regard to the Raider organisation and i do believe it would greatly help us become competitive again if he hands over control to a GM. but to call him a lunatic is insulting to him and his legacy.

Funny thing is I meant it as a joke hence the smiley face but Hold on a second a man can be the most sane man in the world for 60 years of his life and then go crazy? To go crazy and become lunatic can happen in a short space of time. Judging on recent years yes he is a lunatic. I have said many times before he was a great owner but has gone off the wall and become a loony. Sure he loves the Raiders and will most likely be buried in a raiders shirt I cant fault him there. But he is ruining a franchise because of his lunacy and the sooner the better some Raiders fans wake up and smell the coffee the better. F*ck if Bobby Kraft ever goes down this road I tell ya I will be the first calling for his head.

Seriously how do you take a Great Franchise and ruin them? So before saying im insulting him get off your high horse. One can become a lunatic over night regardless of how great you were in the past. Its clear he is not all there anymore. He is 80 years of age after all.

Funny thing is I meant it as a joke hence the smiley face but Hold on a second a man can be the most sane man in the world for 60 years of his life and then go crazy? To go crazy and become lunatic can happen in a short space of time. Judging on recent years yes he is a lunatic. I have said many times before he was a great owner but has gone off the wall and become a loony. Sure he loves the Raiders and will most likely be buried in a raiders shirt I cant fault him there. But he is ruining a franchise because of his lunacy and the sooner the better some Raiders fans wake up and smell the coffee the better. F*ck if Bobby Kraft ever goes down this road I tell ya I will be the first calling for his head.

Seriously how do you take a Great Franchise and ruin them? So before saying im insulting him get off your high horse. One can become a lunatic over night regardless of how great you were in the past. Its clear he is not all there anymore. He is 80 years of age after all.
    As a Raiders fan (not a bandwagoner :P) I agree with you Tallaghtoutlaws.

• Advertisement

Huh? al davis has been running the franchise the exact same way he has always done it. Draft athletic freaks and go vertical offense. The problem is Al hasn't be able to adapt to the changes that occur in the nfl. In my eyes that certainly doesn't make him a lunatic or that he's suddenly gone crazy. Nothing has changed with Al and that's the problem.

Spoiler on the giants game
    21-0 down already, with the Hanson incident coming out I can't see Cable lasting much longer. 3rd and 24 and they get 55yards. l-o-****ing-l.

Huh? al davis has been running the franchise the exact same way he has always done it. Draft athletic freaks and go vertical offense. The problem is Al hasn't be able to adapt to the changes that occur in the nfl. In my eyes that certainly doesn't make him a lunatic or that he's suddenly gone crazy. Nothing has changed with Al and that's the problem.

Well said man, couldn't agree more.

Maybe Lunacy was such a strong word to use but What about the stupid decisions like these:

$55 million for Javon Walker (who’s been a total non-factor), $72 million plus two draft choices for DeAngelo Hall (cut midway through his first Raider year), $39 million for Gibril Wilson (cut after one year).

Seriously though fair play to you two for standing behind him. Yes he has always made eccentric decisions but saying he "just hasnt changed with the game" in itself is stupid. There is changing with the game then there is being an 80 year old man medling with coaching decisions still and paying out even more ridiculous amounts of money to players who are flops or wasters or even cutting them mid contract. And blaming coaches he hired for their downfalls and not buying into his system or kissing his ass.

Oh and also saying things like he wont step down until the Raiders win two more superbowls as recent as 2007. Yeah Good man Al because thats ever going to happen in your lifetime again. Also trading a 1st round pick for Richard Seymour when you know if the uncapped season next year happens he will bounce elsewhere.

I once admired the Raiders as a club growing up watching football as the they were the eccentric team you loved to hate but nowadays when the raiders are mentioned in the media I cringe as you know its not for goo reasons.

But come on guys do you not think his mind is going and the older he gets the more rash he gets and how can you not throw the words lunatic at him, idiot, madman, moron, insane etc etc.

Maybe Lunacy was such a strong word to use but What about the stupid decisions like these:

$55 million for Javon Walker (who’s been a total non-factor), $72 million plus two draft choices for DeAngelo Hall (cut midway through his first Raider year), $39 million for Gibril Wilson (cut after one year).

Seriously though fair play to you two for standing behind him. Yes he has always made eccentric decisions but saying he "just hasnt changed with the game" in itself is stupid. There is changing with the game then there is being an 80 year old man medling with coaching decisions still and paying out even more ridiculous amounts of money to players who are flops or wasters or even cutting them mid contract. And blaming coaches he hired for their downfalls and not buying into his system or kissing his ass.

Oh and also saying things like he wont step down until the Raiders win two more superbowls as recent as 2007. Yeah Good man Al because thats ever going to happen in your lifetime again. Also trading a 1st round pick for Richard Seymour when you know if the uncapped season next year happens he will bounce elsewhere.

I once admired the Raiders as a club growing up watching football as the they were the eccentric team you loved to hate but nowadays when the raiders are mentioned in the media I cringe as you know its not for goo reasons.

But come on guys do you not think his mind is going and the older he gets the more rash he gets and how can you not throw the words lunatic at him, idiot, madman, moron, insane etc etc.

Everything with the Raiders is blown massively out of proporition, thats the problem. I certainly wouldn't say I'm standing behind him as I want him gone but I think people use the Hall, Wilson, Walker, Drafts etc to hammer him when they don't do it to other teams.

Everyone knows DeAngelo hall was only ever going to get $24.5m or a few million more of his $70m contract yet. I was pretty shocked how people wet themselves over such a big contract when the guranteed money is really the only thing that matters. But not only that, we signed him to a 7year $68m contract, the redskins turn around and sign him to a 6year $55m, $22.5m guaranteed!! contract(after he got humilated with his performances for the Raiders) and no one bats an eye lid? Halls contract would of been $9.7m every year in Oakland, in Washington he gets $9.1m yet there's no where near the level of media attention/hate thrown on the Redskins.

Gibril Wilson is pretty similiar. $16m guaranteed, $19.5 over first 3 years with the Raiders and he signed with the Dolphins for $8m guaranteed with $16.5m over the first 3 years. We did overpay on a signing bonus but when you're constantly bottom of the league that's what every team needs to do to attract players. Wilson wanted to leave after the season so Al has a choice between keeping a unahppy players or cutting him, cant argue with his cut.

No excuse for Javon Walker, shocking stuff. Tommy Kelly was way OTT but he's still a very good player though.

Advertisement