Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those living in Town, or Raheen side of city

Options
  • 09-10-2009 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Just found this out today, am probably the last to find out too, but UL students have full library access at Mari I.

personally intend taking full advantage of that as it is near to where I live.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Billy i came in here for a look because the lit forum is dead,i must tell my ul friends that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Yeah it's a fantastic asset. I found it particularly useful for history because some of the core texts which were either on 3-day or even 3 hour loans in UL were on general lending (14 days) in Mary I and were usually available while they were gold dust in UL. They don't have everything - in particular they're not wonderful on politics - but the history section is quite good as would be the media section, I suspect, given the courses running there.

Only glip is that during my final year (07/08) they introduced a swipe system for the library with your ID cards; this needs to be activated and IIRC they only had activation periods for like, a week, or something. I'm not totally sure of the complete situation or whether it's changed now, but regardless as a UL student you should be permitted access.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

MarY I student here. I assume the politics section is weak because we don't have a politics course here. :P as for swiping system, just ask a passerby to let you in, we hate that system as much as anyone. It's actually a very silly barrier for this exact reason.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    MarY I student here. I assume the politics section is weak because we don't have a politics course here. :P

Yes, and that's why I said:
    ...given the courses running there
    :rolleyes:

But yeah, that's what I did too. It was only in my second semester of 4th year that it was introduced so it didn't affect me much but I used to just ask other students.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

You have to go up to Student Services (first floor of the main building) and they will program your card that will let you swipe it for you to gain entry to the library. Personally I don't think it was a bad idea, as it makes it more difficult for undesirables (from a certain area close enough to Mary I that shall remain nameless) to walk in and be light fingered. (theft in Mary I was getting worrying and that is supposed to be the reason why they brought it in.)

• Advertisement

You have to go up to Student Services (first floor of the main building) and they will program your card that will let you swipe it for you to gain entry to the library. Personally I don't think it was a bad idea, as it makes it more difficult for undesirables (from a certain area close enough to Mary I that shall remain nameless) to walk in and be light fingered. (theft in Mary I was getting worrying and that is supposed to be the reason why they brought it in.)

Eh as someone who is from 'close enough to Mary I' I think it's fair to say that these so-called 'undesirables' wouldn't be arsed stealing dusty old books from the shelves. Re-sale value would be zilch. Tbqh, I think you need look no further than the environs of your own cosy light-fingered student upper echelons to find the culprits. Students become ever-so 'undesirable' themselves at times, too, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Eh as someone who is from 'close enough to Mary I' I think it's fair to say that these so-called 'undesirables' wouldn't be arsed stealing dusty old books from the shelves. Re-sale value would be zilch. Tbqh, I think you need look no further than the environs of your own cosy light-fingered student upper echelons to find the culprits. Students become ever-so 'undesirable' themselves at times, too, you know.
    It wasn't 'dusty old books', it was laptops, phones etc. that were taken. A few were caught on camera and they weren't students. Also numerous bikes were taken in broad daylight, and they also weren't students. For some reason the powers that be in Mary I done nothing about it, even though they had video evidence, rumour has it, is that it might give the college a bad name.

I meant no offence when I said 'surrounding areas' and surrounding areas does not necessarily mean right longside the college, we could be talking a few miles even, but I should have said that in the original post, my bad. But the thefts were not student related.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

So, in summary, come to Mary I, but leave your valuables at home :p

eBooks ftw! :pac:

Advertisement