Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple Extending

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Squats 5x5 : 179lbs
    Bench 3x5 2x3 : 109lbs
    Inverted Rows 3xF : 9,7,7
    Push ups 3XF : 15,12,10
    Reverse Ab Crunches 3x12

Farmer's walk : 45lb dumbbells 60, 60, 60

Squats were tough but enjoyable, almost lost it on the 4th rep of the 4th set but steadied myself. Bench was tough. First 3 sets were tough but doable, 4th set was a big struggle, was only able to get the bar about half way off my chest for the 4th rep so just lowered it and got myself out from under it. 5th set was the same as the 4th but I knew after the third rep that I was done. Inverted rows were fine, seeing a steady increase here, same applies to push ups. Reverse ab crunches were same as usual. For the farmer's walk the 50lb dumbbells were in use so used the 45lb ones. Despite the lighter weight, I still found these difficult

Friday 20th, Week 8 day 1

Squats 5x5: 184 lbs
    Overhead press: 4x5, 1x3: 84 lbs
    Deadlift: Blah
    Chin ups: 7,5,4
    Plank 3x30s

Squats were pretty good except in the last set I felt a tweak in my back. I know what I did to tweak my back so I need to be conscious of not doing it again. Overhead press was an improvement but failed once again, going to have to drop some weight on this and work my way back up. Deadlifts were horrible, it just felt all wrong. Was doing my warm up sets to 184 lbs and stopped at that. Back didn't feel right and I didn't want to push it. Did some chin ups that were an improvement.

Saturday 21st
    Played a soccer match and hurt my ankle, woke up Sunday morning and my ankle was huge. Walking was tough but it's getting better. Was supposed to do a charity run on Thursday morning but that's out of the question now. I'm hoping to get back to the gym on Friday afternoon. A weeks rest should do me the world of good. Never thought I'd say that I would miss the gym.

Saturday 28th, Week 8 day 1

Squats 5x5: 184 lbs
    Overhead press: 5x5: 84 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5: 214 lbs
    Chin ups: 6,4,4
    Plank 3x30s

Redid this day as i had taken a week off and this day was very poor the last day. Did a lot of warm up sets today for all exercises. Think I'm going to carry on doing more warm ups as I'm pretty sure I benefited from it today.

Squats were tough after the week off but I got through them, there is definitely some more in the tank. Dropped 10% off of my overhead press (8.4) and rounded up to the nearest 10 so went for 74 lbs today. Did it pretty easily and at a really quick pace too. Deadlifts were probably the best I've ever done. Big thanks to jayoo for posting this. Chin ups were fine, I think I could have squeezed out an extra rep on some sets, disappointed I didn't push myself to do it. Planks were planks

I've decided that I'm going to stop stronglifts after week 10. I'm going to move onto the 5/3/1 program many other people are using here. I've read the e-book and am planning out my assistance exercises as well. Will start practicing some of the assistance exercises as of Monday.

Delighted to be back after a week off.

Squats 5x5 : 189lbs
    Bench 5x5 : 109lbs
    Inverted Rows 3xF : 8,6,6
    Push ups 3XF : 15,11,9

Squats were tough but got through them. Bench was really good. Last time i attempted this I didn't even get 4 sets of 5 reps so was very pleased to do this. Inverted rows were down slightly as were push ups. I was in a hurry last night so skipped out on crunches and farmers walks. Not going to get near most of the targets I set myself a few posts back but i'll see what I can reach between now and going home for Christmas

Friday Week 8 Day 3.

Squats 5x5: 194 lbs
    Overhead press: 5x5: 79 lbs (did 74 the last day not 84)
    Deadlift 1x4: 224 lbs
    Pull ups: 3,2,2
    Plank 3x30s

Squats were very tough. Got through them though. I can see myself failing to get get 5x5 one of these days. Overhead press felt heavy, even though I've lifted more than this before. Deadlifts were really tough, last rep just would not go. My first time lifting over 100kg in anything though so at least something good came out of today! Pull ups were also horrid and down on what I can normally do. Planks were same as usual.

I had a horrible week at work this week so I'm going to blame today's poor performance on that combined with the terrible eating this week as well. 6 sessions left before I go home for Christmas and before I move away from stronglifts and onto 5/3/1.

• Advertisement

5.75 mile slow run

December has been atrocious! I've been ridiculously busy with work the last two weeks and when I haven't been so busy i've been exhausted from being so busy. Finally got back to the gym last night. I'm bored with Stronglifts, I want a bit more variation so I'm moving to 5/3/1. Been reading the ebook a bit lately so i'm going to start it saturday. Had a 1 rep max day yesterday. Probably not the smartest to try my 1 rep max for all 4 lifts on the same day but it's what I went with :)

Squat (previous max 194lbs)

Bar x10
    94lbs x 5
    134lbs x 5
    184lbs x 3
    224lbs x 1
    264lbs x 0
    244lbs x 1 = 110.67Kg
    254lbx x 0

Overhead Press (Previous max 84lbs)
    Bar x 10
    64lbs x 5
    84lbs x 3
    94lbs x 2
    104lbs x 1 = = 47.17Kg
    109lbs x 0

Deadlift (Previous max 224lbs)
    94lbs x 5
    144lbs x 5
    184lbs x 2
    234lbs x 1
    274lbs x 0
    254lbx x 0
    244lbs x 1 = 110.67Kg

Bench Press
    Bar x 10
    64lbs x 5
    94lbs x 3
    114lbs x 2
    134lbs x 1 = 60.78kg
    144lbs x 0

Started with squats, felt really good, 224lbs was easy so decided to go for 264. What I noticed that I didn't really have control of the weight coming down. It was more the weight forced me down rather than me lowering the weight so momentum seemed to stop me from being able to stop and push myself up. Went for 244 and remained conscious of not descending too rapidly and was able to complete the rep. Went for 254 and just wasn't focused enough when trying to complete the rep. 244 was quite an ugly rep so didn't want to try and force 254 with awful form. 50lbs heavier than I had ever lifted before though, I was pretty pleased.

Next up was the overhead press, this is my least enjoyable lift. So warmed up nicely and went for 104lbs, was a struggle to get it up over the head but got it in the end. Was happy with this and thought I should be able to get 109lbs, got stuck about half way up. Pretty pleased with this. I had never lifted more than 84lbs in this lift.

Moved onto deadlifts after this and this is where I got a little disappointed. Warm ups were fine, 224lbs was the heaviest I had lifted before. Got to 234 pretty easily, stupidly made a big jump up to 274lbs and it wouldn't come up over my knee, went for 254 and it only got to around the same level. Went for 244lbs and managed to get it up without hitching it. I was a little disheartened here because my deadlift was the same as my squat. There are two things that I can put this down to; 1) tiredness from testing squat and ohp maxes (I'm not sure how likely this is, in fact I'm not even considering this is the reason) 2) I've not had the same amount of practice deadlifting with good technique as i've had with squats. I'm going to try a deadlift max day before my very first day of 5/3/1 on saturday. I think I'll have a better idea of things then. Still a 20lb improvement on anything I had done before.

Finally I moved onto the bench press, again warmed up nicely, went for 134lbs and I had no doubt I was going to be able to do this. Didn't have to struggle too bad getting the bar up either. Found a spotter and went for 144lbs, got the bar about half way up and that was that. Again this was a 20lb improvement on anything I had done before.

Looking forward to starting 5/3/1. Also did two hours indoor soccer on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Molly wrote: »
    December has been atrocious! I've been ridiculously busy with work the last two weeks and when I haven't been so busy i've been exhausted from being so busy. Finally got back to the gym last night. I'm bored with Stronglifts, I want a bit more variation so I'm moving to 5/3/1. Been reading the ebook a bit lately so i'm going to start it saturday. Had a 1 rep max day yesterday. Probably not the smartest to try my 1 rep max for all 4 lifts on the same day but it's what I went with :)

Squat (previous max 194lbs)

Bar x10
    94lbs x 5
    134lbs x 5
    184lbs x 3
    224lbs x 1
    264lbs x 0
    244lbs x 1 = 110.67Kg
    254lbx x 0

Overhead Press (Previous max 84lbs)
    Bar x 10
    64lbs x 5
    84lbs x 3
    94lbs x 2
    104lbs x 1 = = 47.17Kg
    109lbs x 0

Deadlift (Previous max 224lbs)
    94lbs x 5
    144lbs x 5
    184lbs x 2
    234lbs x 1
    274lbs x 0
    254lbx x 0
    244lbs x 1 = 110.67Kg

Bench Press
    Bar x 10
    64lbs x 5
    94lbs x 3
    114lbs x 2
    134lbs x 1 = 60.78kg
    144lbs x 0

Started with squats, felt really good, 224lbs was easy so decided to go for 264. What I noticed that I didn't really have control of the weight coming down. It was more the weight forced me down rather than me lowering the weight so momentum seemed to stop me from being able to stop and push myself up. Went for 244 and remained conscious of not descending too rapidly and was able to complete the rep. Went for 254 and just wasn't focused enough when trying to complete the rep. 244 was quite an ugly rep so didn't want to try and force 254 with awful form. 50lbs heavier than I had ever lifted before though, I was pretty pleased.

Next up was the overhead press, this is my least enjoyable lift. So warmed up nicely and went for 104lbs, was a struggle to get it up over the head but got it in the end. Was happy with this and thought I should be able to get 109lbs, got stuck about half way up. Pretty pleased with this. I had never lifted more than 84lbs in this lift.

Moved onto deadlifts after this and this is where I got a little disappointed. Warm ups were fine, 224lbs was the heaviest I had lifted before. Got to 234 pretty easily, stupidly made a big jump up to 274lbs and it wouldn't come up over my knee, went for 254 and it only got to around the same level. Went for 244lbs and managed to get it up without hitching it. I was a little disheartened here because my deadlift was the same as my squat. There are two things that I can put this down to; 1) tiredness from testing squat and ohp maxes (I'm not sure how likely this is, in fact I'm not even considering this is the reason) 2) I've not had the same amount of practice deadlifting with good technique as i've had with squats. I'm going to try a deadlift max day before my very first day of 5/3/1 on saturday. I think I'll have a better idea of things then. Still a 20lb improvement on anything I had done before.

Finally I moved onto the bench press, again warmed up nicely, went for 134lbs and I had no doubt I was going to be able to do this. Didn't have to struggle too bad getting the bar up either. Found a spotter and went for 144lbs, got the bar about half way up and that was that. Again this was a 20lb improvement on anything I had done before.

Looking forward to starting 5/3/1. Also did two hours indoor soccer on Monday.

Hi, I am actually thinking about moving to 5/3/1 after new year possibly too, from Starting Strength rather than Stronglifts, but same reason, getting bored and looking to mix it up a bit - can you post a link to where you were reading about it so I can get some more info? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

if you want jaggie i can email it to you, pm your email

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

if you want jaggie i can email it to you, pm your email

pm on it's way, cheers.

• Advertisement

I bought the ebook, was only 20 dollars as far as I remember.

Went to the 'gym' on Sunday at home, the only free weights they had were dumbbells (they had a nice selection of these mind :p). I had intended to begin 5/3/1 that day but when i was unable to find a barbell this plan failed! I just did some dumbbell military presses. I also did some sets of pull ups, chin ups and neutral grip pull ups.

My one rep maxes were

Military Press 104lbs
    Squats 244lbs
    Benc 134lbs
    Deadlift 244lbs

Squat 2Week 1, Cycle 1 Military Press and Deadlifts (combined session as I want to get a full week in this week) before I go home for Christmas.

Military Press
    44 x 5
    49.6 x 5
    60.6 x 3
    60.6 x 5
    71.6 x 5
    82.6 x 9
    44 x 5 x 10

Lat pulldown
    66.1 x 5 x 10

Deadlift
    88 x 5
    110 x 5
    132 x 5
    154 x 5
    165 x 5
    187 x 7
    88 x 5 x 10

Hanging Leg Raise

After sundays experience I was on the lookout for a decent gym, so I went to fitnessworx in douglas. Very impressed with this gym, 2 squat racks, 2 power cages and one set of squat stands plus about 10 olympic bar bells and a large array of dumbbells. They even had a set of monkey bars! The only thing I saw missing was a glute ham raise bench.

I operate in lbs because i'm based in the states so I made a few errors with my lbs to kg calculatons I made in my head! I have already made some secondary calculations for Thursday's visit. Looking forward to getting back to using lbs :p

Military press was fine until boring but big where I really struggled. Have never really done anything near the volume of them I did today. Really happy I started at 40% rather than 60%. Cheers for that advice BossArky. I hadn't done lat pulldowns before so looked at a view videos online recently to see what to do. I started with 30kgs (a small bit under half bodyweight). I'll probably move this up a bit next time I do these.

Deadlifts were fine except my hands are now ripped to pieces. Like military press, I had never performed anywhere near this volume before. My hands actually blistered up doing boring but big! I would have liked to do GHRs but there was no bench for it in the gym. I had decided that I would do hanging leg raises if this was the case. I was doing these on the monkey bars in the gym as the dip station was in use, one of the blister's on my right hand burst on one of the sets. I'm not really a fan of this exercise.

I'm expecting to be sore tomorrow. Squats and bench on Thursday then a few days off until I go back to the states.

Week 1 Cycle 1 Squats and Bench

Squat
    88 lbs x 5
    110 x 5
    132 x 3
    143 x 5
    165 x 5
    187 x 7
    88 x 5 x 10
    Leg Press
    143 x 5 x 10

Bench

44 lbs x 5
    60 x 5
    71 x 3
    77 x 5
    88 x 5
    99 x 8
    44 x 5 x 10

Dumbbell Row
    22lbs x 4 x 10
    27.5 x 1 x 10

Night out last night and not a whole lot of sleep so this was a tough session. Got through everything though. 3 days off now before I go back to the states.

On another note I woke up wednesday and I could barely get out of bed. My abs were in pieces. Having originally thought Hanging Leg Raises did nothing I'd like to retract that statement :p

Cycle 1 Week 2 Day 1

Military Press
    44 lbs x 5
    47 x 5
    54 x 3
    64 x 3
    74 x 3
    84 x 8
    44 x 5 x 10

Lat pulldown
    80 x 10
    70 x 10 x 4

Pull ups/Chin ups/Neutral Grip
    5/5/5

Pretty easy day today. Nothing to say about military presses really. Lat pulldown I started with 80 but felt I was moving my elbows in a non vertical path so moved back to 70. Need to schedule an appointment with a physio, left shoulder/arm giving me a bit of hassle during lat pulldown and assorted pull ups. Same thing as before, just ignored it for a while.

Cycle 1 Week 2 Deadlift Day

Deadlift

89 lbs x 5
    109 x 5
    134 x 3
    154 x 3
    174 x 3
    199 x 7
    94 x 5 x 10

Hangling Leg Raise

Glute Ham Raises

Much tougher than military press day. My hands are ripped to pieces now, just about avoided another blister I'd say. The volume of deadlifts is definitely helping me I think, with stronglifts I wasn't really doing them that often or that much. Hanging leg raises were tough due me struggling to actually grip the bar. Glute Ham Raises were an interesting exercise, my first time doing them really and I'm pretty confident I'll be suffering in the morning. Will definitely keep them up though.

Cycle 1 Week 2 Bench Day

Bench
    49lbs x 5
    59 x 5
    74 x 3
    84 x 3
    94 x 3
    109 x 8
    49 x 5 x 10

DB Row
    30lbs,30,30,30,30

Not much to say. A pretty easy day today really.

5/3/1 Cycle 1 Week 2 Squat Day

Squats
    84 x 5
    104 x 5
    134 x 3
    154 x 3
    174 x 3
    199 x 7
    95 x 5 x 10

Leg Press
    165 x 5 x 10

Squats felt heavy today, possibly due to a lack of food and being a bit tired. Focused on trying to get my breathing right. I think i'm getting there. Not much else to say

5/3/1 Cycle 1 Week3 Military Press

44lbs x 5
    49 x 5
    54 x 3
    69 x 5
    79 x 3
    89 x 7
    44 x 5 x 10

Lat Pulldowns
    80 x 5 x 10

Pretty quick day today. In and out in about 40 minutes. After I get my shoulder looked at next Monday I'll probably add in some chins and pulls as well.

5/3/1 Cycle 1 Week 3 Deadlift

94lbs x 5
    109 x 5
    134 x 3
    164 x 5
    189 x 3
    209 x 5
    94 x 5 x 10

Hanging Leg Raises
    8 x 5

Glute Ham Raises
    10 x 3

Deadlifts were tough, lower back was fried after them. I would have liked another rep or two. Hands were pretty sore after too. Hanging Leg Raises were tough and further ripped my hands. No blister's today though so happy with that. Glute Ham Raises were really tough as well. I enjoy these a lot though for some reason. Deadlift day is definitely the toughest for me.

• Advertisement

5/3/1 Cycle 1 Week 3 Bench/Squat Day

Was away from Thursday evening until this afternoon so did a combined bench & squat day to keep every 'week' to a week.

Bench Press

49lbs x 5
    59 x 5
    74 x 3
    89 x 5
    104 x 3
    114 x 6
    49 x 5 x 10

Dumbell Row

30lbs x 5 x 10

Squats

94lbs x 5
    109 x 5
    134 x 3
    154 x 5
    189 x 3
    209 x 7

Leg Press
    230 x 5 x 10

I wasn't planning on squatting today cos I was tired from the weekend but once I got to the gym I said I might as well. This caused a miscalculation on one of my lifts, should have been 164 x 5 not 154 x 5. Bench was fine, I think I may have had a rep or two more in me but was conscious of preserving energy for squatting. Dumbbell rows had me pretty tired. Squats were pretty good. I had a pain in my knee as I fell on a nasty bit of ice snowboarding on Friday but suffered through it. I was happy to hit the 7th rep. Again I was concentrating on my breathing. Leg press was tough due to the pain but was fine to actually move the weight.

Looking forward to a deload week.

5/3/1 Cycle 1 Week 4 Day 1+2

Shoulder dislocations and band pull aparts to warm up

Military Press
    44lbs x 5
    49 x 5
    54 x 5

Lat pulldown
    80 x 3 x 10

Bird Dogs to Warm up

Deadlift
    94lbs x 5
    109 x 5
    134 x 5

Hanging Leg Raise
    6 x 3

Glute Ham Raise
    10 x 2

Lots of foam rolling after.

Went to the physio on Monday. She looked a tmy shoulder and she reckons i have a small tear in the cartillage in my shoulder. Will be going once a week for the next 4 weeks. Got some rehab exercises to do with my shoulder as well, just using bands for flexion/extension/rotation. Hopefully this sorts everything out and i'll be able to do pull ups/chin ups again.

Cycle 2 Week 1 Day 1

44lbs x 5
    49 x 5
    59 x 3
    64 x 5
    72 x 5
    82 x 9
    49 x 2 x 10
    44 x 3 x 10

Lat pulldown

80 x 5 x 10

Military press day is always really quick. Flew through this. Wasn't able for 49 x 5 x 10 on the big but boring, so did 3 sets of 44 plus the 2 at 49. Next week on Military press day i'll try do 5 sets at 49.

Missed the squat and bench deload days but i'm not really worried. I didn't do much other than my shoulder rehab. Feeling nice and refreshed after having most of the week off.

So I don't have access to my old account, but it turns out I have this old account

5/3/1 Cycle 2 Week1 Day 2

Squat

94lbs x 5
    112 x 5
    135 x 3
    146 x 5
    168 x 5
    191 x 10
    94 x 5 x 10

Leg Press 230 x 5 x10

Might have been able for another rep on the squats but would have been pushing it and wasn't able to use the power cage today so left it at that.

5/3/1 Cycle 2 Week1 Day 3

Bench

49lbs x 5
    62 x 5
    74 x 3
    80 x 5
    92 x 5
    105 x 10
    49 x 5 x 10

DB Row

Bench was pretty easy today, decided I was going to up the dumbbell rows a bit.

Sunday

Spent about an hour and a 1/4 one of the personal trainers at the gym. Spent most of it focusing on my deadlift and fixing the issues I had. Did a lot of reps at a low enough weight(114lbs). An extremely beneficial session. Also gave me some pointers on squats (keeping my upper body a bit more upright)

Monday

5/3/1 Cycle 2 Week 1 Day 4

Deadlift

94lbs x 5
    112 x 5
    135 x 3
    146 x 5
    168 x 5
    191 x 8
    94 x 5 x10

Did this at lunch time today so didn't have time to do GHRs today unfortunately. My hamstrings haven't been this sore in a long time. Tried to take on board everything that was said to me yesterday, confident I got most of it on board. Will need to keep the focus up until I have the technique nailed down.

I have also been continuing with the shoulder rehab that has been perscribed to me. Hope I get my other account back soon!

5/3/1 Cycle 2 Week 2 Military Press

44lbs x 5
    49 x 5
    59 x 3
    67 x 3
    77 x 3
    87 x 8
    49 x 5 x 10

Lat pulldown
    90 x 4 x 5
    90 x 7

Really tired and was really busy with work so was in no mood for this today. Everything was just really tough. Lat pulldowns started hurting so stopped. Did some squats focusing on keeping my body upright and a load of foam rolling on my upper body.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Whats with all the lbs? Its confuddling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Sangre wrote: »
    Whats with all the lbs? Its confuddling!

The numbers look bigger!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Savage deadlifting Molly.

Advertisement