Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supinator - Calf Pain - Pain Gone???

Options
  • 09-10-2009 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

just thought I would share this.
    Been jogging for a while now - but around 3 yrs ago I had to sit out for a few months getting serious physio work on my left calf - really bad pain just behind the bone.
    My physio explained it was all due to how I run - basically I am a "supinator" - where I run rolling my foot from the outside in.

Anyway after being out of action for a while I got Asics runners from Arnotts that really helped on this. However as I have increased my distance from around 5k runs to 10k and 12k runs I have found that the pain over the last few months has returned.

Did all the usual - ice-packs - dove back into the stretches I was given - but I just resigned myself to experiencing pain here just as I began to ran and the following day as it eased out again.

So - back to the Pain Gone...
    There is another thread here called Vibram Five Fingers... Anyway as a kid I used to spend my summers without shoes and being in my "late" 30s I wanted to experience a 2nd childhood - so recently picked up a pair of Sprint.
    This Tuesday I went out for my first longish run in these around Phoenix park - just over 7k.
    Had to change how I run as heel to toe is not how you run barefoot - anyway - no pain while I ran but still expected to get up the next day in agony. But... Wednesday I got up for the first time in around 6mts with no pain in either calf...

Now - not sure if this is a fluke or what - but just wanted to float it out there for anyone else like me who has been surviving on anti-inflams and ice-packs - might be worth a look for you...

Advertisement