Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Check

Options
  • 09-10-2009 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Anyone know whats involved in a home check if you are adopting a dog from a shelter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Have done many of these myself and have had one done!

First off, I only do it for one spacific rescue group so there may be variations from rescue to rescue. This is what we look for when home checks are done:

Will the dog be part of the family? (not left alone all day)
    Where will the dog be sleeping? (outside/inside)
    Do these people have realistic expectaions for care of the dog? (for example, it would be rediculous to home a high energy, large breed puppy with an 80 year old)
    Is the garden a decent size for the dogs needs, is it fully enclosed?
    Does the home have small children?
    Are there other pets in the home?
    Is the home and garden a safe place for the dog to be?
    Training - are you willing to put in the work? (this all depends on the dog)

Usually, the checker will have a chat to you about how much excersise (walking, agility etc.) the dog will be getting, your general intentions for the dog and see if you have knowlage of how to care for a dog (some people haven't a clue!). Don't be too worried about scrubbing the floor or doing the flower beds, as long as your house isn't a contender for Kim and Aggies help then you're grand. The person wants to get an idea of what the dogs life is going to be like on a day to day basis, the rescue wants to home dogs in good homes, where they will be happy and the people living with them will be happy with the new pet. Be realistic and truthful about what you want and expect in the new dog, everyone will be happier in the long run.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

Thanks for that lorebringer!
    Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Be friendly and yourself. A lot of a decision is based on instinct too TBH. If you genuinely have a good home to give then there wont be a problem.

Homecheckers don't expect you to think dog ownership is easy all the time and would prefer to see that you have made allowances for harder aspects. Make sure you know who your local vet is. Know what you will be doing with the dog while you go on holiday. Have some idea what to do if your dog develops a behaviour issue. etc Make sure you let them know that no matter what, the dog will be yours for life. One guy asked me if he could return the dog if his "paws got too big" :confused:

A question sometimes asked is under what circumstances you might feel you need to get rid of the dog. I have had answers from "only under very exceptional...... can never imagine....family member...etc" to
    Father: Oh I wouldn't get rid of one, ever
    Son: Daddy, but you got rid of the puppy
    I swear that happened. When I asked why and how he rehomed the pup he replied that he would prefer not to say in front of the kids. :eek:

Really, have all the practicalities covered as lorebringer said and relax in knowing that it is in the shelters interest to rehome a dog so if you have a good stable home, then you should have no problems.

I know what you're going through though. I had done many checks myself ad was still nervous coming up to my own homecheck. :o

Advertisement