Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 10 - What Did You Want?

Options
  • 09-10-2009 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Little mini-rant of my own here. Just wondering what people actually wanted from FIFA 10 (and I don't work for EA ;) ). Many people complaining about quitters - but you're still getting the win; it's not that much of a pain to set up a game - ever play old online games with a 56k modem? To get them to quit, you must also have had the elation of scoring...

Picking Real Madrid, Barca, etc - of course. YOU picked to play with a lower standard team AND are playing a RANKED match. I don't know many people who play to lose. So of course, a good starting point is to play as the best. If you want to play casual games - there are unranked matches...or friends lists where you can agree on terms

Realism - If you hit the ball at the ref, it's going to hit him 9 times out of 10. If you pass it to the opposing team, they are going to take it 9 times out of 10. One touch passing - some teams can do it, some teams can't - if it's happening enough, you should be getting practice as to how to defend against it.

Some of the discussions on here remind me of a guy from work. He wants a "realistic" game...but yet, wants everything to work out perfectly (when did that happen last in a football match) which would essentially work out as a 24-0 scoreline!

*phew*

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Many people complaining about quitters - but you're still getting the win; it's not that much of a pain to set up a game - ever play old online games with a 56k modem? To get them to quit, you must also have had the elation of scoring...

That's cause they only really changed that last night.

I wanted a good game, I wasn't expecting it so haven't been too dissapointed. Its not bad but once the initial excitment of it is over it will hardly get played, and that excitment will be over just before PES comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Little mini-rant of my own here. Just wondering what people actually wanted from FIFA 10 (and I don't work for EA ;) ). Many people complaining about quitters - but you're still getting the win; it's not that much of a pain to set up a game - ever play old online games with a 56k modem? To get them to quit, you must also have had the elation of scoring...

Picking Real Madrid, Barca, etc - of course. YOU picked to play with a lower standard team AND are playing a RANKED match. I don't know many people who play to lose. So of course, a good starting point is to play as the best. If you want to play casual games - there are unranked matches...or friends lists where you can agree on terms

Realism - If you hit the ball at the ref, it's going to hit him 9 times out of 10. If you pass it to the opposing team, they are going to take it 9 times out of 10. One touch passing - some teams can do it, some teams can't - if it's happening enough, you should be getting practice as to how to defend against it.

Some of the discussions on here remind me of a guy from work. He wants a "realistic" game...but yet, wants everything to work out perfectly (when did that happen last in a football match) which would essentially work out as a 24-0 scoreline!

*phew*

Its not the people always picking the Madrids and Barcas its the fact that the gulf in team quality from a Madrid to a Liverpool is HUGE imo. Liverpool simply cant keep up with the speed of them teams because all their players are fast.

To much is place on speed in the game. Another thing I dont like is the game feels alot looser now. Needs to be more solid or something as defending is terrible.

Goalkeepers are shocking. Countless times they rush out and just stare at the ball.

Free kicks are daft. If you get a free kick around the box its a goal. And there so easy give away this year too. Quiters are still annoying because you want to play the game not necessarily just pick up winner points. And if you score in the first 5 minutes the chances are theyl quit and it doesnt get registered.

.....I think ive played to much fifa!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Its not the people always picking the Madrids and Barcas its the fact that the gulf in team quality from a Madrid to a Liverpool is HUGE imo. Liverpool simply cant keep up with the speed of them teams because all their players are fast.
    The gulf isn't any closer in real life ;) This is where tactics come into play. As MikeyT086 said in another thread - keep the likes of Messi out of the game.
    To much is place on speed in the game. Another thing I dont like is the game feels alot looser now. Needs to be more solid or something as defending is terrible.

To me, it is faster but still slower than PES6 which many people hold as the pinnacle of football releases. Saying "defending is terrible" isn't really a valid argument. Why is it terrible? What are you doing in defence? (Not a personal attack on you or your playstyle but I'm sure there are players out there with no problems in defence)
    Goalkeepers are shocking. Countless times they rush out and just stare at the ball.

Yes, sometimes they do. i.e. FIFA is a realistic football game. Talk to United fans over the last couple of years - Barthez, Foster...hmmm...It happens, and is therefore reflected in the game. Yes, it is annoying but these things happen!
    Free kicks are daft. If you get a free kick around the box its a goal. And there so easy give away this year too.

I haven't actually found them THAT easy to give away - and I have paid for giving free kicks away...However, I countered a friend by moving a defender back to the line.

Quiters are still annoying because you want to play the game not necessarily just pick up winner points. And if you score in the first 5 minutes the chances are theyl quit and it doesnt get registered.

.....I think ive played to much fifa!:o

I was mainly targeting those who only play ranked matches with the quitter point. If you don't play to get points, then there are more options open to you - playing custom matches, playing friends. Some people on here have written that they have gotten destroyed 6-0, not quit and gotten a message afterwards saying "thanks". So why not add that person as a friend - they should repay the favour and you improve by playing someone better.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

What I got

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Thank christ you said it. I'm so sick of hearing that crap from people. I always play as my beloved Arsenal though. Lucky for me we are pretty good :)

But if you have a problem with people playing as a better team and you can't find tactics that will help your weaker team. Then pick a better team and try new tactics!

And the guy above mentioning the gulf between 'pool and Madrid. There is a gulf in real life too. Also the point about the speed being of such an importance is odd. It's widely agreed that this game is probably one of the least speed whore football games in the last 10 years with perhaps strength playing an even bigger role than speed. Not saying that that's a great thing. I do think the balance isn't quite right and they've made strength trump speed on most occassions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

Have to say I'm loving the challenge this game presents to me. I have been a hardcore ps2 player for years and a casual ps3 player. This is my first ps3 proper experience (as in manager mode) so I'm still getting used to new buttons. I just completed my first season on World Class with Lincoln City, I finished 16th and just about avoided the sack but I'm improving as I go along and looking forward to starting season 2 tonight.

For people having trouble defending I have found that using regular jockey high up the pitch to defend a break is pointless as if the opposition goes either side (particularly if it’s Barca or Real) then you won't have the acceleration to catch them. In previous years jockey was the main way to go but I personally am using it ALOT less this year.What works for me in this Fifa 10 is to pull back when defending using either just sprint of sprint jockey and only really come at the attacker if they a) go to a decent cross position b) look to be lining up a shot. If you mark up then I find they regularly attempt a pass which goes straight to you or turn back at which point you have regrouped and are in a better position to defend. I'm conceding very little goals compared to when I began the season and am improving all the time. The majority of goals I concede are stupid mistakes by me i.e attempt a pass to a defender in the first third of pitch and for it to go straight to opposition or failure to clear my lines when there are scrambles around the box. This is more lack of composure by me in vital areas as opposed to any glitch in the game. I am learning from my mistakes and determined to improve.

Just on the comment regarding keepers running out and starring at ball, if you don’t want them running out then there’s an option to force them to stay on their line. I have had no issues as yet with keeper reactions etc after a 50 game season and a handful of online games. Their actions are as close to real as I’ve seen yet.

I have to agree on the point on free-kicks though, I find the opposition scores say 60% of the ones just outside the box with a David Beckham style strike. I tend to avoid giving these away if I can and if I do then I’ll simply place a man on the line or try to time the jump of the wall which works sometimes.

I feel people should remember that this is a different game, alot of changes from the last Fifa. Give it some time, be patient accept you can't defend / play exactly the same way as you did in previous years and enjoy the challenge of learning to perfect your game on this version.

PSN= RaVeN737 add me

koHd wrote: »
    Thank christ you said it. I'm so sick of hearing that crap from people. I always play as my beloved Arsenal though. Lucky for me we are pretty good :)

But if you have a problem with people playing as a better team and you can't find tactics that will help your weaker team. Then pick a better team and try new tactics!

And the guy above mentioning the gulf between 'pool and Madrid. There is a gulf in real life too. Also the point about the speed being of such an importance is odd. It's widely agreed that this game is probably one of the least speed whore football games in the last 10 years with perhaps strength playing an even bigger role than speed. Not saying that that's a great thing. I do think the balance isn't quite right and they've made strength trump speed on most occassions.

Mate I would love you to play against some of the guys that are on the higher levels in this. All they ever pick are madrids. And what are you on about the gulf in real life? Its virtually impossible win a game against one of these players if there one of the top teams in the game while you pick liverpool.

Why should I have to pick a better team to get a win? It doesnt work like that in real life. I guarntee you if you played some of the fellas at the level im at youd start to say the same thing.

And I guarntee that. It was an enjoyable game up till around level 14ish. Once you come against the lads who are able to play once touch football they absolutely tear apart the slower sides.

And its nothing to do with being not as good as them or tactics as ive played many a rematch against these lads picking Barca or Inter and I can beat them. Yet as Liverpool I can let in 6 goals easy.

The gulf isn't any closer in real life ;) This is where tactics come into play. As MikeyT086 said in another thread - keep the likes of Messi out of the game.

And Xavi and Iniesta and Henry and Ibriamovich etc etc. The gulf isnt that big in real life.
    To me, it is faster but still slower than PES6 which many people hold as the pinnacle of football releases. Saying "defending is terrible" isn't really a valid argument. Why is it terrible? What are you doing in defence? (Not a personal attack on you or your playstyle but I'm sure there are players out there with no problems in defence)

Its ALOT faster than last year. But its not the speed ive a problem with its the "looseness" of the game. Balls go through players all to often. Believe me the defending is terrible...or maybe its the thing of the top 4 (inter chelsea barca and madrid just being too quick in the game. Id like to mention ive no problems in defence when I pick one of the top 4. But Always when i revert back to Liverpool or Ac milan they once again get ripped apart. And ive tried many many different tactics. Its all about speed.

Yes, sometimes they do. i.e. FIFA is a realistic football game. Talk to United fans over the last couple of years - Barthez, Foster...hmmm...It happens, and is therefore reflected in the game. Yes, it is annoying but these things happen!

Ah come off it. I cant count the amount of times ive called my keeper out he rushes out and doesnt dive on the bloody ball. That just doesnt happen. Or when the ball will be right beside him trickling out for a corner and he once again just stares at the bloody thing. Too much staring this year!
    I haven't actually found them THAT easy to give away - and I have paid for giving free kicks away...However, I countered a friend by moving a defender back to the line.

They are very easy give away imo. Any pressing you do maybe 5 out of ten times youl give away a free. And once that free is within 30 yards its a goal.
    You can beat the defender on the line by putting it in top corner...which is what ive seen happen alot.
    I was mainly targeting those who only play ranked matches with the quitter point. If you don't play to get points, then there are more options open to you - playing custom matches, playing friends. Some people on here have written that they have gotten destroyed 6-0, not quit and gotten a message afterwards saying "thanks". So why not add that person as a friend - they should repay the favour and you improve by playing someone better.
    [/QUOTE]

Indeed but if you do play to get points but also want to actually play the game the quitters are still there. Why not just take out the quit button and make them have to actually turn off the console instead of happily getting back to the menu. And the quit within 5 minutes is still there and the game never gets registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

only bad things in the game for me are giving away free kicks is a little too easy. and the the crowd atmosphere . would b nice if there was alot more anticipation from the crowd eh when you get a corner or something

Advertisement