Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Window/Doors

Options
  • 09-10-2009 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Our kitchen is at the back of the house and has a lot of glass (big windows and patio-style doors) which we haven't put any curtains or blinds on (we are not overlooked!). But Im concerned about losing heat through the glass so would like to put something up. I had thought of thermally-lined curtains but as its the kitchen I would think a fabric solution would mop up smells from cooking. Venetian-style blinds would be fiddley as its such a long area. Any ideas for a not-very-expensive option that would look nice and help insulate the room?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

tripple glazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Thanks for your reply. When we installed the windows we were told that the triple glazing (which was v dear!) was not going to give much more insulation than the double that we chose. I will investigate again though think this may be expensive!

Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Thermal blinds

I'm getting some fitted shortly (getting them supplied then when I get around to it I'll install them)

The company I'm getting them from gets them from the States.

The use a track down the 2 sides of the reveal which the blind runs and stops heat loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Thanks - Where are you getting them from? Is there a way to stop them from absorbing kitchen smells (which is why I'm avoiding regular or thermally lined curtains)?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

muckety wrote: »
    Thanks - Where are you getting them from? Is there a way to stop them from absorbing kitchen smells (which is why I'm avoiding regular or thermally lined curtains)?

I would post the name but then I'd get my a$$ kicked by the mods.

I'll PM you the name and number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement