Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 bus stop

Options
  • 09-10-2009 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I want to get the 17 bus later from UCD, does it leave from the bus stops over nearish the engineering building?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yup, rightmost one is for the Dolphin's Barn one, middle is for Blackrock.

Greatest work of fiction ever, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Thanking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I would reccommend you check the timetable and get there maybe 10 minutes before hand.

They are the most unreliable buses I've ever used, and the drivers tend to have a greater than average (even for an Irish bus driver) lack of giving a sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I've only had the bus not turn up for me once so far which is a lot better then I was expecting. As mloc said turn up 10minutes before the scheduled time and you will be grand. I think the reason it's considered unreliable is because the 17 travels such a distance it's nearly impossible for them to get the timing right due to traffic reasons. The evening schedule sucks cock though. And the fact they use the old style buses mean on wet days like today upstairs deck has a mini river liffey running down either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

mloc wrote: »
    I would reccommend you check the timetable and get there maybe 10 minutes before hand.

They are the most unreliable buses I've ever used, and the drivers tend to have a greater than average (even for an Irish bus driver) lack of giving a sh*t.

+1

Is this going in the Dundrum direction?
    No, get the next one.
    Half an hour later, is this the Dundrum direction?
    No, get the next one.
    No, get the next one.
    Listen, I've been told that twice already, where are you going?
    Dundrum direction.
    Thank you.

• Advertisement

muffinman wrote: »
    +1

Is this going in the Dundrum direction?
    No, get the next one.
    No, get the next one.
    No, get the next one.
    Listen, I've been told that twice already, where are you going?
    Dundrum direction.
    Thank you.

Can you not just read the front sign on the bus? Nothing more annoying then some prat going up and asking the bus driver "Is bus going the dundrum direction" then being told no only for him to shove himself back past you trying to get off the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

God i hate the 17. I hate the 10 far more though. Does there really need to be that many of them??

Such a pain waiting expectantly for the 17, hearing a bus approaching only for it to be yet another number 10. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Reason i learned to drive was the 17 on ly in ucd 5 weeks and bein a broke student i had no money for insurance so i got the bus off at 4 gettin home at quarter past 6 disgustin bus.had it break down twice in the same journey aswell once

Can you not just read the front sign on the bus? Nothing more annoying then some prat going up and asking the bus driver "Is bus going the dundrum direction" then being told no only for him to shove himself back past you trying to get off the bus.

Doesn't say dundrum of the front and i dont know which way is which. Nothing more annoying than some prat talking s***e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Sometimes they have no sign on the front of the bus at all.

Once, around 5ish - waiting for almost an hour on the N11 (Montrose side). Finally 17 pulls up. No sign - didn't ask where it was going (sure it must be going to blackrock). It was going to Churchtown. Got off at Foster Avenue just in time to see the 17 I had been waiting for zipping off towards Blackrock. :mad::mad:

The 17 changes route at night due to traffic management - which can be very confusing.

Sometimes the 17 drivers do not realise that there is a different route out of Blackrock than the one going into it (going straight to Merrion Avenue) which can leave people stranded waiting for buses that never turn up (although that seems to have stopped now - for the moment).

But the main thing - the god-awful thing about the bus is that it only comes once an hour late at night. And it usually comes about 10 minutes EARLY late at night.

But I will just say that when it comes on time it is a god-send. It takes only 10 minutes to Blackrock (apart from when the bus actually stops working which has happened to me more than once). But I have now come to the conclusion that it just too damn unreliable and will either walk back to Blackrock from Stillorgan - or more likely - just cycle.

Be careful if you have exams in Smurfit :cool:

Oh - and the drivers are generally prats. I had to stand in front of the bus in the traffic once to make the ****er open the door because it was five meters past the bus stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Doesn't say dundrum of the front and i dont know which way is which. Nothing more annoying than some prat talking s***e
    there lies your problem! it's not that hard to figure something like that out

This should happen much less often now, as Dublin Bus had their fleet cut this year, they got rid of a lot of the older buses which don't have the green/orange lights destination thingys. So the buses on the 17 should nearly all have the destination clearly marked, and if it isn't, just ask the driver!

lol, so it's dublin buses fault you're to thick/lazy to find out? Simple logging on to the Dublin bus site and you will be able to find out.

Haven't once seen a 17 this year without a sign, but if it doesn't and you're getting the bus early you can simply tell what way the bus is going by which direction it comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I only use the 10 and it is regular so I have no issues with the service.

But I have only ever seen 3s and 10s there, I didn't even know the 17 stopped there.

Does it go past Dundrum Town Centre, cause then it would be handy :D

Kournikova wrote: »
    I only use the 10 and it is regular so I have no issues with the service.

But I have only ever seen 3s and 10s there, I didn't even know the 17 stopped there.

Does it go past Dundrum Town Centre, cause then it would be handy :D

You're the enemy! The 10 from the point of view of 17 folk is like a plague. Plentiful and irritating.

Yep the 17 goes close enough to dundrum town centre. leaves you about a 5 to 10 minute walk from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hoffle

the worst is when the 10 decides to park infront of the 17 stop so you have to jump out infront of the 17 to stop it otherwise it wont see you.

Ye i hate that. Its terrible when you're standing where the bus usually stops and a 10 parks there so when the 17 comes and stops behind it you're at the back of the queue and you dont get a seat.

Jesus i've ranted about this enough. I think its time to let it go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

The 17 bus times for 3.00 onwards seem pretty nice now. As now when I am done a lecture at 4/5 o clock it comes at about 5 past 4/5 where as last year I was waiting ages at the stop. Nothing worse than a cold wet morning just missing the 17....

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Was anyone ever on the 17 when it runs out of diesel?

The drivers sometimes try to canonball themselves to UCD. They literally start the engine and get as much a roll using momentum as possible. It's amusing.

I've been a veteran of this bus since I was 12 (9 years ago) and the buses they used then were even considered out-dated at the time!

Also, when there is a shortage of drivers for town-bound routes, they usually pull one of the 17 drivers to do it, because it's only considered a 'suburbian' route...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

The 17 bus often doesn't say it's going via Dundrum. You're easily annoyed.
    lol, so it's dublin buses fault you're to thick/lazy to find out? Simple logging on to the Dublin bus site and you will be able to find out.

It is their fault for not having clear information at their stops or on the bus destination display. By international standards Dublin Bus is awful poor. For any tourists it must be very difficult to know a) which bus to get, b) how much to pay, c) when it's their stop d) how many "stages" they need to go. They've gotten better in the last few years with maps on some of the bus stops, but it's still below what I would expect for a capital city. The 17 is one of the worst examples in my experience...
    Haven't once seen a 17 this year without a sign, but if it doesn't and you're getting the bus early you can simply tell what way the bus is going by which direction it comes from.

Not in UCD. After 4pm both the Rialto bound and Blackrock bound buses pull up coming from the same direction and quite often stop half way between the two bus stops, which are on the same side of the street - very unusual, I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I've waited one hour, fifteen minutes for that bus before. Not before a 17 drove past me despite the fact i was nearly out on the road waving my hand at it. I'm still bitter everytime one drives by. Were never as frequent as they seem to be now, when I don't need them

• Advertisement

The 17 bus often doesn't say it's going via Dundrum. You're easily annoyed.

It always says 17, Rialto or Blackrock underneath it. then usually via UCD. It shouldn't be difficult to figure out which one is going to Dundrum. Simply checking the bus timetable at the bus stop he should realise what bus he needs to get on.

It is their fault for not having clear information at their stops or on the bus destination display. By international standards Dublin Bus is awful poor. For any tourists it must be very difficult to know a) which bus to get, b) how much to pay, c) when it's their stop d) how many "stages" they need to go. They've gotten better in the last few years with maps on some of the bus stops, but it's still below what I would expect for a capital city. The 17 is one of the worst examples in my experience...

Actually it does have clear information at the bus stop. The bus states the time of different destinations it arrives at Rialto, kimmage west, chruchtown, ucd, blackrock station. By looking at the front of the bus where it says via Rialto he should know that bus will go to Dundrum. Sorry but the only time I've been abroad and known how much to pay on a bus was because I looked up the information before hand. I'll be away this weekend so I'll look to see if they give a price list at the bus stops. From international standards it might not be great but every Irish person should know what the Bus service is like. If people are to lazy to log on to there site to find out about fares, destinations etc then what do they expect?

Not in UCD. After 4pm both the Rialto bound and Blackrock bound buses pull up coming from the same direction and quite often stop half way between the two bus stops, which are on the same side of the street - very unusual, I know!

Again, reading the front of the bus FTW. As I said I've never seen a bus without it so I've never had to ask so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

What started out as a simple question is now a massive rant at the 17, yay!

Muffinman you'll be delighted to know the karma gods viciously raped me last night when the last bus never bothered to show up and left stranded in UCD, rofltastic.

Muffinman you'll be delighted to know the karma gods viciously raped me last night when the last bus never bothered to show up and left stranded in UCD, rofltastic.

Ring Donnybrook and complain! 01-7034420

stop wrote: »
    Ring Donnybrook and complain! 01-7034420

Thanks for that, I asked in the transport forum if the head office or local garage is the best place to complain. I'll ring the local garage anyway, probably fire off on both place.

When it comes to a bus like the 17, coming say from Blackrock to Belfield at night, if I was waiting in Belfield longer than 15mins I'd ring the garage (it'll ring for about a min but eventually a chap answers) and ask if the service operated or not. They may tell ya the bus broke down or summit but it beats hanging around in hope!

Different routes obviously operate from different garages, but the garage number is always listed at the bottom of the route's timetable.

I saw the number last night, but I jsut thought it would be closed(or no one would answer). Handy to know for next time though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

On foot of this thread, getting this bus today I decided to wander up to the stop 10 minutes early.

I arrived just in time to catch one - having subsequently looked at the timetable I reckon I got an earlier bus that was maybe 10 mins behind schedule. I was happy though!

hate that :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sponge-97

It always says 17, Rialto or Blackrock underneath it. then usually via UCD. It shouldn't be difficult to figure out which one is going to Dundrum. Simply checking the bus timetable at the bus stop he should realise what bus he needs to get on.

Actually it does have clear information at the bus stop. The bus states the time of different destinations it arrives at Rialto, kimmage west, chruchtown, ucd, blackrock station. By looking at the front of the bus where it says via Rialto he should know that bus will go to Dundrum. Sorry but the only time I've been abroad and known how much to pay on a bus was because I looked up the information before hand. I'll be away this weekend so I'll look to see if they give a price list at the bus stops. From international standards it might not be great but every Irish person should know what the Bus service is like. If people are to lazy to log on to there site to find out about fares, destinations etc then what do they expect?

Again, reading the front of the bus FTW. As I said I've never seen a bus without it so I've never had to ask so far this year.

Heads up lads, the 17 towards Rialto timetable is wrong, it hasn't been updated yet. My recent 17 timetable leaflet and the internet have different times. I often feel bad for all those poor people going up to the bus stop to check, but I can't just tell every single person it's wrong. I feel compelled to laminate a copy of mine and stick it up.

Advertisement