Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderlands

Options
  • 09-10-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderlands_%28video_game%29

This game is comming out this month it's developed by Gearbox Software same guys that did some of the Half-Life expantions and Brother in Arms.
    Havn't even read anything about till yesterday when a mate gave me a link, it's a sci-fi/first person/rpg my favorite genre along the lines of System Shock 2 and Deus-Ex....hopefully

it's out on consoles on 20th oct and 28th pc and it has a 18 rating :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

This is the one game I cannot wait for, it has everything I want (MMO-style progression, lots of randomness, big splosions)

Its also out here on the 23rd for Xbox/PS3 and 30th for PC, 20th and 28th are American releases.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Been waiting for this for a while cant wait for it to come out :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Their implenting something that could be very popular with future games random scenery popping up is something i don't think was done before, you get random npc's in games alright but this is something that really caught my eye, and 17 million types of guns :eek:

It has a Fallout 3 vibe but i felt that the rpg element in that was far too slow for me, i like it fps shooter first then rpg attached to it not the orther way arround.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well personally I loved fallout 3 so if its anything like that (bar the bugs of course) I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Not entirely up to date on this game but, listening to Rock-Paper-Shotgun's podcast made me concerned about the feel of the game. Combat seemed "ropey", weapons lacking a sense of immediate impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

If you can disable the flashing numbers then ill buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'll wait for the first wave of guinea pigs to pick it up. If the wailing and gnashing of teeth is great, I'll save money. If reports are positive, Ill try the demo.

Roll on october 30th :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

cant wait for this game :) 87 bazillion guns :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really wasn't looking forward to this. I think Gearbox are a poor developer and the millions of guns thing sounds stupid and I'm sure that every gun will be a slight variation of other guns. However looking at the new videos it's looking really interesting and I'm hoping this is the big surprise of 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

This game doen't appeal to me at all. It looks like the ugly bastard child of Fallout 3 and TF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Big surprise of 2010? It's out at the end of this month!

The game certainly has potential but the weapons things seems a little gimmicky to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm intrigued by the idea of it all, but I have been gaming too long at this stage to fall for hype and expectation. I'll wait for reviews & a demo, but I don't honestly see how you can combine a FPS and RPG and make it work.

Plus those promises of hundreds of guns, well let's say I'm sceptical at best. Plus they certainly know how to market the game, that's for sure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oops meant 2010. Must stop time travelling and confusing my dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm hoping this is the big surprise of 2010.
    silvine wrote: »
    Big surprise of 2010? It's out at the end of this month!
    Oops meant 2010.

Whaaaa?

I'm 50/50 on the game at the moment, I'll have to try it myself before considering parting with cash.

I did say I was confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

This caught my eye the other day. I'll have Brutal Legend to play while this is released so I won't be buying straight away, I'll see what others say and make one of them informed wassits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by the idea of it all, but I have been gaming too long at this stage to fall for hype and expectation. I'll wait for reviews & a demo, but I don't honestly see how you can combine a FPS and RPG and make it work.

Plus those promises of hundreds of guns, well let's say I'm sceptical at best. Plus they certainly know how to market the game, that's for sure

The guns are simply a clever bit of coding, see games like rogue, spelunker etc. which generate content within a set of rules, f-zero x even had a track generator. It will mix ammo, parts etc. and churn out different combo's of them, 500,000 is a big number, if done well it would add to the game.

FPS RPG wise, I think fallout 3 was a big hit in this regard, I'm a fallout 1 and 2 fan and feel they got the rpg element down well, if a little dumbed down. Shooting wise, I enjoyed my drawn out firefights in the ruins of DC, so the concept works. Stalker also, this is a genre crossover not done enough IMO, and one I will be hopefully see mature and produce more hits.

This games looks cheesy, graphics maybe taking away from the gritty feel of a barren waste, clichéd characters, christ, I bet one of them shouts hell yeah. Even the skills list looks a bit funny, invisibility? But if the mechanics of the game immerse me into a post apocalyptic survival world as did Fallout and Stalker it will entertain me, and an added co-op element could really blow me away, I have high hopes but no expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

its not post apoc, apperantly its sci-fi :)
    the only things annoying me about it at the moment is the wait and some reviews concerning the AI being idiotic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/borderlands-zombie-dlc-announced

So I see the Borderlands team have already started promoting (Halloween themed) DLC, for the princely sum of 10 dollars.

Pretty damn cynical if you ask me & doesn't bode well for the main game either; pushing DLC this early strikes me as a move to get as many dollars into the bank, as fast as possible, before the bad press kicks in & sales dip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

I liked the look of this game when it first came to my attention but now I don't know. It has a very cartoony look to it and what's with the giant "Level up" that pops up every time your character moves up a level? Seems a bit arcadey to me but i guess that was the feel the devs were going for but I may pass on it myself. Shame 'cause I was hoping for some STALKER style RPG/shooter style action seeing as that was delayed and the only available version of it is in Russian. Grrrrr.

briany wrote: »
    [...]. Shame 'cause I was hoping for some STALKER style RPG/shooter style action seeing as that was delayed and the only available version of it is in Russian. Grrrrr.

Huh? STALKER is available in English & has been since day 1:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/4500/

Pretty damn cynical if you ask me & doesn't bode well for the main game either; pushing DLC this early strikes me as a move to get as many dollars into the bank, as fast as possible, before the bad press kicks in & sales dip.

I wouldn't go that far. I don't think it's a way to beat bad press but it is a very cynical way of trying to get more money out of the consumer since it's obviously being developed in tandem with the game and should have been included with the main game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Huh? STALKER is available in English & has been since day 1:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/4500/

I think be means the new Call of Pripyat.
    http://www.n4g.com/pc/News-401771.aspx

I wouldn't go that far. I don't think it's a way to beat bad press but it is a very cynical way of trying to get more money out of the consumer since it's obviously being developed in tandem with the game and should have been included with the main game.

I dunno, the muttering coming from gaming sites is that it's not exactly stellar; in any case, dev companies seem to think the future is in bleeding the customer dry with DLC. I can't see how this will last in a global recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

I've heard some mixed things about this one so I'm waiting for the reviews before I decide if I'm going to pick it up. The co-op looks integral and I prefer to play these things solo.
    I've already got Dragon Age pegged as my big christmas RPG aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Playr gave it 8/10 this morning. Might pick this up for xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Official xbox gave it 8.5 – said it's not for everyone, as it's a bit of a grindfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Was watching people play this on justin.tv and it looked like a lot of fun. very fast paced. The co op looked like fun aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Advertisement