Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar work europe

Options
  • 09-10-2009 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hey guys,Its october and its raining so im starting to plan for summer 2010!Have been working abroad for summers for 4 years now and reckon i can do one more before i grow up!have done j1 and 3 summers in the south of spain which was brill.would not rule out going back to these places next summer but would like to try somehere else eg other parts of spain,greece the islands etc. The main criteria is near the beach with a decent nightlife(doesnt have to be 24hr ibiza style just as long as i can finish work and sit back on a bar terrace with a few beers and cool people)so if anyone can tell me about their experiences with tips on jobs and accomodation,and locality etc!

also i may be travelling solo so if anyone is in the same boat let me know
    !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 outta_here

Anyone??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Indy Travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SonicC

heya ive done two summers in ayia napa, Cyprus,
    brilliant place im sure it would be similar to the south of spain were u wer working, anyway i loved Cyprus.
    Locals are really sound, they love the irish, work is always easy to find all summer, but for a better job go earlyr, first year i worked in an irish bar, done bit of p.r. nd barwork, tink i was gettin €30 a night plus tips on top that, which is the average for small bars nd resturants arond the town.

Anywho second year i came back, landed a brill job in one the biggest nightclubs on the island was gettin €1000 a month, worked 12-4 every nite, which is really good for resorts like that, actual came home with gud few quid. :)

Cyprus has eqaul mix of irish, brits nd scandanavians, everyone gets on great aswell.

ull get on an aparment easy nuf too, payin avergae around €60 a week, but can be alot cheaper the earlyr you go nd plan to stay ye know!

anyway hope that helped you out abit!

wow thats alot of €€€€'s for 4 hours a nite! seven nights a week??how much were flights? im tied up till the end of may with college is that still plenty of time to sort something out?lots of questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SonicC

ye i know i got lucky there! Serious nightclub though. yup it was seven nights week for nearly 3months, but i always went out before and after work, so i didnt mind

ah ye end of may is grand, sure the first year i went over on the 2nd of july (didnt know a soul in the place or my way around) and i got job the second day i was there! started within in a week, luckly enough caz i only brought €200 with me at that time, madness lookin back on it now but i survived.

eh flights usally around €150-200, id recomend you book ur self into holiday aparments for a week, like do a deal with budget travel or one them or just book the flight nd aparments separate, be alot cheaper. just so u can find your barings around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 danners

hey guys,
    just hit on ye'r thread via google, was thinkin ov a summer abroad working this summer aswell, i'v never done it b4 tho so its a bit daunting, dunno where 2 start! few q's...
    when u get a job is ther any legal red tape or anything like that or can u just start working away?!
    are the apartments ye'r on about staying resorts or are they private apartments or whatever?
    would the money u make cover ur living expenses 4 the summer?!
    sorry bout all the q's but i really wana try get organised and actually go..not just talk bout going!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Work is scarce.

Identify with the country you would like to live in. Be as realistic about it as the car you would like to drive.

Start studying the Language.

Television and internet technology are excellent skills in Sports Bars.

Place some ads in Irish Free ads paper.

Aer Lingus have three scheduled winter flights to Gran Canaria each week. Ryanair also have started on this route.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

hey danners work is scarce as has been mentioned but by no means impossible to find.had u a particular country in mind? Its v.hard to find work before u travel,just type the name of the area and barwork into google and hound every irish/english bar website with emails.only a tiny fraction will reply,usually to say that they are not hiring or that they only hire people who show up in person.But u can get lucky,i did on my first summer in spain.re: accomodation,it depends on where u go but it is usually easy enough to find others to bunk with at a reasonable price. when it comes to spending money and expenses, u will need at least a few hundred €'s till u get settled down with a place,job etc. but if u can afford to bring more u will likely enjoy the summer more as u are not scraping by from one week to the next.hope this helps!regardin red tape its fairly minimal for an eu citizen.most places pay u in cash,if not u might as in spain need a NIE number and a residencia,both simple and inexpensive to get

p.s. when it comes to europe just go for it! if things go awry u are only a ryanair flight from home!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 shaneoreillyo

Thinking about working abroad for the summer and seen all this advice just wondering are things much different 3 years on in this recession? Which places would be relatively easy to get a job and which places difficult? Im guessing Portugal, Greece, Spain are no goes with unemployment rates, thanks.
    Not picky on where i go, just work, sun and if possible near the sea.

Advertisement