Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

must have been a slow year in peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

well he did send more soldiers to Afghanistan in a "surge"

Nobel would be spinning in his grave if a war now starts with Iran

i dont get how he can earn a nobel prize so quickly, they are still over in iraq

do they have to give out an award every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Can anyone actually name any piece of definate progress he has got in regards to peace, absolute disgrace to hard working volunteers if you ask me. Ian Paisley has probably done more for peace this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

A bit early alright, like at least give him a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Looks like the Nobel committee were also drawn in by the savvy presidential campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

This post has been deleted.

I don't at all agree with him getting this, but ffs. If he was to win the war quickly and cleanly he'd do far more for peace than withdrawing would.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Bizarre.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

It seem a bit odd - I always thought the nobel peace prize winner had to actually achieve something. I like Obama, he has tried to get the the Middle East peace process going but he hasn't achieved anything yet and is a long way from achieving anything.

Its not enough to come out and beg for peace. I mean I would love peace but it doesn't mean I deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.

Plus, who knows what he might do in the next three/seven years! They should at least wait until he is no longer president.

The good thing is he might try hard to live up to his reputation, now he has this award.

And I don't think there is anything odd about the US Commander in Chief winning this award in principle, although they could have waited until he was ex-US Commander in Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Thats affirmative action at its best!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

A bit odd, Obama seems like a nice sort, but the US is still involved in a couple of wars, and while he seems to have taken steps to change things, he still hasn't exactly achieved anything just yet.

I am more than willing to give the guy a chance, but see no reason to sing the man's praises, when he hasn't achieved a whole lot.

Don't be haters...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I think it's a shrewd move- he has made all the right noises and giving him the award now will spurn him on to achieve something concrete in his presidency in Israel, Iraq, Afganistan etc.

The reduction of nuculear arms for example-
    The full citation read: “The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama’s vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

“Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama’s initiative, the United States is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

im glad its just me but all sorts like you boardsies - some brits - cusomters ive dealth with today and your 1 up the north ect.

Everyone seems to have a problem with him getting it - and i thought it was just me for an hour or so until i started asking people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The good thing is he might try hard to live up to his reputation, now he has this award.

That's an interesting way to look at it. It kinda puts him under a bit of pressure now to actually achieve something concrete while in office, he won't want to go down in history as the Nobel Peace Prize winner who won the award for....hmmm...not much. He has his work cut out for him though. The problems in the Middle East will never be solved while the US continues to be so biased towards the Israelis, and speaking of Israel, their nuclear stockpile needs addressing also, that seems to be the great big elephant in the room where nuclear disarmament is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Even economists are taking the piss out of this (courtesy of irisheconomy.ie)

Most people I've talked to are a very amused at this. I think it doesnt do much for the credibility of the award. Its a political award of course, but does it have to be so blatant? Even Obama seems embarrassed by it. It wont do him many favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Sand wrote: »
    Even economists are taking the piss out of this

Good analogy but for the fact there is no such thing as a Nobel Prize in Economics :pac:

Its actually the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics and it was founded by a Swiss bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I think it's a shrewd move

Indeed. It makes it harder to be a war mongerer like many of his predecessors, with a Nobel Peace Prize under the belt.

Still can't believe Bono hasn't got one yet. Or two. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Lets make criminals Policemen now so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

turgon wrote: »
    Good analogy but for the fact there is no such thing as a Nobel Prize in Economics :pac:

Its actually the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics and it was founded by a Swiss bank.

I reckon Mankiw probably knows that, don't you? Also it is actually the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics and Social Sciences. But I digress.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think they gave it to him for managing to be US president for 11 months without starting a war, which is some achievement.

Reading the article earlier about 3 other US presidents winning it - Woodrow Wilson I can understand, but Teddy Roosevelt and Jimmy Carter? Its almost like in times of crisis they keep the US sweet by giving its president a prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

totally racist....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I believe Roosevelt got it for negotiating a Russo/Japanese peace treaty, and Carter (officially) got it for the Egypt/Isreal peace deal. (According to the Chief Judge, the decision was supposed to be 'A kick in the leg for Bush', which kindof I think kills it).

Why didn't Neville Chamberlain get it? He was kindof fond of World Peace. (So's Miss America, come to think of it). He even negotiated a treaty for Peace In Our Time, so he got further than Obama did.

Lech Walesa seems not to be too pleased, he was awarded it in 1983.

http://blogs.wsj.com/new-europe/2009/10/09/lech-walesa-on-obama-peace-prize-who-what-so-fast/
    When Lech Walesa received the honor in 1983, he had been an anticommunist dissident for more than a decade, kept in custody by the communist regime in 1981 and 1982, fired from his job, with his name banned by communist censors.

It was given to him in the darkest period of Poland’s 20th century history, at the height of the Cold War that could at any time transform into a very hot and nuclear conflict.

In 1983, the prize went to someone who was a global symbol of anticommunism with an impressive record, a complicated present and an uncertain future in a country oppressed by the Soviet tyrant.

And now? Poland feels the prize goes to a big question mark.

Not -really- a comparison between the two, is there?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Not the first time that the nobel peace prize was given for motivational reasons:D
    The prize was awarded joinly to:

YASSER ARAFAT , Chairman of the Executive Committee of the PLO, President of the Palestinian National Authority.

SHIMON PERES , Foreign Minister of Israel.

YITZHAK RABIN , Prime Minister of Israel.

for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East.

Not the first time that it was a bit "off" either:
    The prize was awarded jointly to:

HENRY A. KISSINGER , Secretary of State, State Department, Washington.

LE DUC THO , Democratic Republic of Viet Nam. (Declined the prize.)

for jointly negotiating the Vietnam peace accord in 1973.

http://nobelprizes.com/nobel/peace/peace.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

Indeed. It makes it harder to be a war mongerer like many of his predecessors, with a Nobel Peace Prize under the belt.

Still can't believe Bono hasn't got one yet. Or two. ;)

SuSurely that's reason enough for Obama winning the thing. Bono must be seething. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

gar32 wrote: »
    Lets make criminals Policemen now so.

Like the Guards have never committed any crimes!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,326 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Current Nobel Peace Prizes for Fmr. President Ronald Reagan (R): 0
    We welcome change and openness; for we believe that freedom and security go together, that the advance of human liberty can only strengthen the cause of world peace. There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace. General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization, come here to this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

this choice says alot more about the givers than the recievers , this award will hurt obama in the usa , americans dont like to see their leaders being honoured by foreign orgs like the nobel

Advertisement