Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Overheal wrote: »
    Current Nobel Peace Prizes for Fmr. President Ronald Reagan (R): 0

When you get caught offside for conducting a covert war (Nicaragua), have backed some of the most notorious regimes in Latin American history, declare the ANC a 'terrorist' organisation, blocked sanctions against South Africa and a number of other 'minor gaffes', thats going to go against you, believe it or not....

(In all honesty, there must have been some one less dubious than Reagan you could have used for an example.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Obama's arse hadn't even warmed the presidential seat when he started ordering airstrikes against an ally and murdering children.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5575883.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I'd imagine quite a lot of it stems from what his election signifies for race relations in the Western world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Since he entered the office, foreign relations, and opinion of America have thawed. His continued involvement with Guantanamo (which was not closed on the first day of his premiership, although it was clear that could never happen), and Iraq may suggest that he is not a suitable winner. However, American foreign diplomacy has been far better then it has been for the past 6 years.

Im still cynical, but I think I can see the rational behind the award.

Advertisement