Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phones ruining gigs?

Options
  • 09-10-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or have mobile phones taken away some of the unique joy of being at a live gig?

In the last few years mobile phones and such have really started to bother me at gigs. I dont really mind the fact that people get their phones out for certain songs or if the singer is near you or something. But this constant recording is totally unnecessary, I just feel sorry for these people because I dont think they are really experiencing the moment as it should be. It seems that people are more intent on capturing the moment on video than actually experiencing it. I cant understand it. I'm a purist, I like to be at a gig and enjoy it from start to finish without any distractions between me and the music.

If you're going to watch the gig through a filter, like a phone, then why not just watch clips on youtube instead of shelling out on a concert ticket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I agree with you. Was at the Editors last night and was constantly tortured by stupid f***s beside me taking pics and videoing constantly, not to mention the flash taking the eye out of my head. Ah mebbe I'm gettin old :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Could n't agree more with this. A recent gig I attended was almost ruined when the idiot in front of me insisted on standing in my line of vision for most of the night recording with his mobile phone. When I challenged him, I was told where to go in no uncertain manner :mad: The message must have got through though, as later, the recording stopped.

Unfortunately, except for depending on people's sense of sparing a thought for others (and I'm not holding my breath here), I dont think there is much you can do, except having an airport type search of people on the way in, which would not be practicable. Maybe if venues adopted a rule of ejecting anyone using a mobile phone, it might help, though again, it would be hard to enforce.

I totally agree when you say that people would be better off looking at a dvd or clip of the artist, if they are not interested in experiencing it "live".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

was at a doug stanhope gig (comedy) last week, he went on a rant at a group of lads taping the gig, something about "video taping their entire lives to watch when after their dead". im inclinded to agree.

mobile phones have ruined quiet bus journeys too.

Advertisement