Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskers for the Dog

Options
  • 09-10-2009 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Its lashing rain, I have no diesel, and I have swine flu. So a trip to the shop is not exactly on the cards for the day, or the next couple of days...
    Is it ok for me to give my cocker spaniel, cat food if we've run out of dog food...
    For some strange reason I have sachets of whiskers cat food tucked away here in the pantry and no cat... :rolleyes:

Iv already given him the end of a tin of dog food this morning but he's going to be looking for more later and I literally have ZERO food in the house except for the Whiskers... He wont die will he? Or get the poopys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well he could get sick, potentially, because if you change a dogs food straight over like that they usually end up sick/with the runs, changing food needs to be done gradually.
    I've honestly no idea if a dog should/can eat cat food though. But changing food like that anyway (if it was even dog food) might not sit well.
    Is there no one who could run to the shops for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sure you can feed him Whiskas pouches, no problem. Stretch them out with some boiled potato or better still some boiled rice, he' ll be grand.

Poop might look a bit different from normal, but that should be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jimmyn

I agree with peasant. If it's only for a couple of days, he'll be grand. Cat food has more protein and fat in it than dog food, so it's not advisable to feed it to a dog for too long, but he should be fine till you can get to the shops.

Mix it with some spud or rice, as peasant says. See if you have any raw veggies (not onions or garlic) and mix them in too. You could also give the dog a bit of raw mince mixed in, if you happen to have any.

Get well soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Thank You! Its only for today and potentially tomorrow morning until the family come back from holidays!

Was just checking in case it was like a baby eating a chicken vindaloo or something :D:p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive often given mine Whiskas when Ive run out.

She loves it especially any of the ones with fish or rabbit.As peasant says mix it with boiled rice or potatoes to bulk it up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Learn something new everyday :) (didn't think they'd be ill ill, but wasn't sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hope you feel better soon op.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Would a neighbour/friend/family member not drop a bit of dog food near your doorstep for yah? If not as long as the dog hasn't an overly sensative tum mixing it with plain boiled rice or potatoe will help stretch it out. For a couple of days it's not going to do any harm other than possibly stinkier poop.

You can use rice or potatoe and grate in a carrot or courgette or both and throw in a spoon of Marmite, there's a buch of stuff you might be able to make with stuff lying around the press if you're stuck. Just check on the net there's tons of recipes for treats and food might help relive some of the boredom of being stuck in as well.

Oop just read the family are on hols do you have any curtain twitchers in your area they might be able to drop some food over, there's usually at least one nosey ould biddy on a road lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

lol, unfortunatly i live in the middle of nowhere....

The neighbors would want to have some serious 20/20 vision to get a look over here. Dog seems happy enough.... No complaints yet anyways.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I've been told that, while a cat shouldn't be given dog food because it lacks a nutrient that a cat needs, cat food is very good for dogs. A friend of mine has fed her dogs exclusively on cat food for the last 25 years and they have all lived til the late teens or early 20's

• Advertisement
Advertisement