Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's that time again.

Options
  • 09-10-2009 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

So through work ill be ordering my 5870... for 289e including vat and delivery ;)

And since this card wont fit in my Nzxt rogue case i've decided its time for a bit of an upgrade. But not all in one month.

So this is what i have that i will keep for the first month, but will need to be replaced:

Q6600 B3 stepping and e2140
    Asus p5e-vm hdmi
    8gb giel blackdragon 9200
    Scythe zipang
    Hdd's
    dvd drive
    fan controller

What i neeed right away is:

Case
    psu

I dont want a big case again, my tj07 was awesome, same with my v2000a but just far to big for the space i have. I'd like something that looks nice and has nice features inside like hidden HDD compartments, cable management. Good cooling while being silent with stock fans and the ability to fit 1 or 2 rads in it as a few months down the line ill be adding in some watercooling. For me the only option ive found so far is the HaF cases, the CM HaF 922 seems a good option for this The 932 is a bit big i think
    Ideally i would like to replace the old components with a I7/I5 chip, atleast 6gb of ram and a nice board for overclocking. Ive got a few in mind, but i'd like to see other peoples oppinions. Oh, board has to have a minimum of 6 sata ports. Psu has to be modular and im thinking 650w minimum as i'll probably ass in another 5870 since i can get it so cheap.

Anyway, looking forward to your oppinions. Oh, i'll be using komplett only as its stupidly close to where i work ;)

Pic of the pc now:

ja03uyl5cmoilc65z575.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i have a HAF932. Lovely piece of kit, loads of room, pretty quiet for something so open and keeps all my i7 stuff lovely and lukewarm. I wouldn't recommend it to you obviously though, as it's massive!

the 922 should do the job for you though. Solitare keeps harping on how much better and quieter it is (only because it's missing that lovely side fan though that keeps my GPU frosty ;)). Overall it's identical to the HAF in most respects, except it's about 4 inches shorter. It also has a few dust filters, and that additional PCI slot that are missing on the 932.

It's still a big case though. There's still loads of room, and it has almost as big a footprint as it's brother, so even that may be too big for you.

as for a PSU, those modular Corsair's look good. the HX750 (i think) should do the job (although knowing you, you'll want to stick a 400W in there ;))

btw, what platform are you gonna go with? LGA1156 or 1366? cos i think on average there's more features to be found on the 1366 boards (although don't quote me on that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I'm not sure to be honest, i don't want to spend to much money on this. But i'd like to get a good 18 months out of it like i have with my current system. I'm open to sugestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

What about the CM Cosmos 1000.It's about the size of the HAF's but has those hidden HHD bays that you want.Do note that standard air cooling sucks on these apparantly lol

cosmos_case_inside.jpg

Not a fan of the cosmos myself. they look a bit to 1950's for my liking. I think im gonna get the HaF 922, now i just need the cpu, mobo, ram, cpu hsf and psu.

Oh and i just placed the order for my 5870.. 280euro all in :D and ill have it on tuesday woop \o/

• Advertisement

well i know the Asus P6T's come pretty highly rated for 1366, and have the 6 Sata ports you require (have one meself). they normally can be had for decent value. The only thing about the P6T is that the cooling on them isn't great, but they still overclock pretty well. The P6T Deluxe would be much better in this regard, but reading up on them they seem to give a bit more trouble. I have a feeling you're not Asus' biggest fan though...

Anti wrote: »
    Not a fan of the cosmos myself. they look a bit to 1950's for my liking. I think im gonna get the HaF 922, now i just need the cpu, mobo, ram, cpu hsf and psu.

Oh and i just placed the order for my 5870.. 280euro all in :D and ill have it on tuesday woop \o/

You'll have the same case as me ! :D

I want my 5 series card by tuesday lol

Where are you getting the 5870 from ?

well i know the Asus P6T's come pretty highly rated for 1366, and have the 6 Sata ports you require (have one meself). they normally can be had for decent value. The only thing about the P6T is that the cooling on them isn't great, but they still overclock pretty well. The P6T Deluxe would be much better in this regard, but reading up on them they seem to give a bit more trouble. I have a feeling you're not Asus' biggest fan though...

Tbh, im not particularly loyal to any manufacturer, i've problems with them all at some point. Yah ive read the p6t is pretty good, im not going to be going for any mad overclocks, just enough to kep me happy.

@ Deano, I ordered it through work, but cant say where that is sorry :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was looking at those 5870s today - was wondering about the size alright as I have the Rogue case too. Balls :)

Yarp, the 8800GTX barely fits, and the 5870 is anothe inch longer. Imagine how big the 5870 x2 is going to be.

• Advertisement

Yarp, the 8800GTX barely fits, and the 5870 is anothe inch longer. Imagine how big the 5870 x2 is going to be.

I've seen pics of it.It looks to be over a foot in size :O

Tbh, im not particularly loyal to any manufacturer, i've problems with them all at some point. Yah ive read the p6t is pretty good, im not going to be going for any mad overclocks, just enough to kep me happy.

@ Deano, I ordered it through work, but cant say where that is sorry :(

Fair enough :)

Check out the Gigabyte UD series boards.They overclock like beasts.Or an EVGA board....yum. :p

In other unrelated news,komplett have the 5870 in stock...im tempted to buy...must resist urge.... :o

Thanks, will have a look :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

what about the CM690? I have the nvidia edition and found theres plenty of room to spare with a gtx260 thrown in

CM690.jpg

what about the CM690? I have the nvidia edition and found theres plenty of room to spare with a gtx260 thrown in

poor man's HAF :P

Lol,harsh :p

Thanks for the sugestion Cherry, but i don't really like the look of the case. Now if i could get one of the smaller lian li's i'd be very happy but komplett don't stock them.

Thanks for the sugestion Cherry, but i don't really like the look of the case. Now if i could get one of the smaller lian li's i'd be very happy but komplett don't stock them.

Pixmania do IIRC

them new Lian Li's are but a knockoff of the HAF :eek:

nice sleek cases, but they seem pricey for what you're gettin.

them new Lian Li's are but a knockoff of the HAF :eek:

nice sleek cases, but they seem pricey for what you're gettin.

You pay for the Name/Quality

• Advertisement

If it was plain black it would be alot nicer, but seriously a dragon on the side? I'm not 12, or asain.

515783434_bda35b0776_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Not to mention that they say that it supports cards of 285mm in length. That's not a foot...

Although it may fit?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

suggestion to mods: make an enemy list.

If it was plain black it would be alot nicer, but seriously a dragon on the side? I'm not 12, or asain.

Jaysus Anti... and you a former mod. Could have at least resized the feckin thing :p

it's the matt black version of the armour-somethingsomething that I was saying looked like the HAF. the Dragon tis a bit "OMG LOOK AT ME!!!!111 ME SO 133333333333333T!!!!!1111" alright.
    suggestion to mods: make an enemy list.

done and done

<.<
    >.>
    <.<

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Scout_14.jpg always like this

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Armorsuit isn't particularly HAFfy; its got more in common with the cheaper Xigmatek Midgard or the Antec 900 only its made of aluminium... and thus unerringly expensive :rolleyes:

And I can't believe someone with a NZXT Rogue would cast aspersions on full towers... those things are fuppin' massive :D A HAF922 is more of a wide midi-tower than a full, and I can't think of a smaller case that could take a HD5870. Stupid fixed HDD bays! :P

And for future reference I don't bang on about the HAF that much; its only because its cheaper than the 900, only just over half the price of the 900-2 or 1200 and manages to have a ton of airflow without the Portable Wind-Tunnel noise warnings on the side :P I was only speccing it for hot-n-heavy high-end 130W+ CPU rigs anyway finger.gif

Oh, and Anti? FFS that pic has broken Boards!! :eek: Horizontal scroll bars FTL :P

Solitaire wrote: »
    And for future reference I don't bang on about the HAF that much; its only because its cheaper than the 900, only just over half the price of the 900-2 or 1200 and manages to have a ton of airflow without the Portable Wind-Tunnel noise warnings on the side :P I was only speccing it for hot-n-heavy high-end 130W+ CPU rigs anyway finger.gif

heh, i never said you harp on about it. Only everytime i mention how good my 932 is you always seem to pop up saying how much better the 922 is :p

call it the pre-emptive strike. :)

as for the amoursuit; I suppose when you look head on it at it it's more 900, but the whole thing inside and out feels pretty much like a HAF to me, (the dodgy screwless design included).

and the Xigmatech's just a rip off of the 900. Albeit a damn good one!
    massy086 wrote: »
    always like this

it's a HAF 922 with handles and €50 excess.

My pic, it made baby jesus cry :(

I almost deserve a ban for that !!

Right, so im sorted on the case. Graphics card somes on tuesday. Now i just need the rest, some help sil vous plait :D

Solitaire wrote: »
    Now i just need the rest, some help sil vous plait :D

p6t
    i7 920
    OCZ platinium 6GB kit
    Noctua HSF

laughin'

(this may or may not be my exact specs :))

edit: alternatively an i7 860 on LGA1156 would do just as good. Only thing is the PCI controller is integrated into the CPU or some**** which can limit SLI/XFire (8 lanes each, although i hear that's not an issue for the new ATIs), and it only has dual channel (not that you'd notice a difference, but the e-penis you know? :)).

• Advertisement

p6t
    i7 920
    OCZ platinium 6GB kit
    Noctua HSF

laughin'

(this may or may not be my exact specs :))

I'd go for a TRUE instead of the Noctua .Those Noctua fans make rusbbish HSF fans

Advertisement