Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's that time again.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I'd go for a TRUE instead of the Noctua .Those Noctua fans make rusbbish HSF fans

low RPM, but generate a huge amount of static pressure to compensate. I've seen some reviews where a Noctua bettered a TRUE for high overclocks (4.0GHz+). I personally love the Noctua though for it's balance of quietness and cooling, important for a case with as many openings as the HAF.

if i were to recommend a HSF over the Noctua though, it would have to be the Primotech megahalems (sp?). Destroys the Noctua, TRUE and pretty much everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

zomg link ?

Anti wrote: »
    zomg link ?

link to what? the Noctua? the Primotech?

The unspellable thingy !

The unspellable thingy !

took me a while to find the correct spelling, so be thankful.

http://www.prolimatech.com/products/megahalems.html

gimme a wee bit and i'll try find some of those reviews i was on about.

edit: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=316&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=7

as you can see the prolimatech is untouchable.

another: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=316&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=9

the Noctua is way down on what i thought it'd be there though :/

edit edit: here's one of those reviews I'm on about where the Noctua beats the TRUE: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/880/11/

edit edit edit:
    never saw this one before, one where the megahalems doesn't come out on top:confused:...
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/core-i7-coolers-roundup_21.html#sect0

anyway, google's yer man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

The Prolimatech Megahalems is about the same in terms of performance to my IFX-14 but its slightly smaller.Take your pick :D

I just want a simple low noise cooler that will do the job and handle a bit of a OC. Same with the mobo/cpu and ram. nothing too fancy, especially as i seen a P6T delux in work today which looks like it was put together by a downsyndrom kidy with epilepsy. So i think ill stay away from asus this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

I just want a simple low noise cooler that will do the job and handle a bit of a OC. Same with the mobo/cpu and ram. nothing too fancy, especially as i seen a P6T delux in work today which looks like it was put together by a downsyndrom kidy with epilepsy. So i think ill stay away from asus this time.

Just go with the Xigmatek Dark knight then :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

heh, i never said you harp on about it. Only everytime i mention how good my 932 is you always seem to pop up saying how much better the 922 is :p

call it the pre-emptive strike. :)

it's a HAF 922 with handles and €50 excess.

But it is! Okay, the side fan is optional on the HAF922 and its missing the castors and the big rear fan but its smaller, cheaper, the 190mm units (for they have 190mm impellers regardless of the frame size) are a bit more refined (read: quiet), the front has dust filters and thumbscrews >> dodgy PCI clips :P
    and the Xigmatech's just a rip off of the 900. Albeit a damn good one!

More "cut-price competitor". Its actually a rip-off of the CM690! But with more filters. And a free fan controller (although not a spot on the one on the lovely albeit overpriced Strom Sniper). And a badder-assed window :D
    Solitaire wrote:
    Now i just need the rest, some help sil vous plait :D

I never said that! :P
    edit: alternatively an i7 860 on LGA1156 would do just as good

+1. Getting an LGA1366 ATM is a bit like getting a Beemer instead of a Ford or Opel; you think its the clever e-penis option judging by the urban myths then start to wonder why everyone's laughing at you... :P

The x8 CF and no triple-channel just aren't big issues. They may make 1% difference 1% of the time, but the rest of the time the i7-860 is simply the better choice; it just seems so much better optimised than even the D0 i7-920 and its only a 95W part to boot ;)

Solitaire wrote: »
    But it is! Okay, the side fan is optional on the HAF922 and its missing the castors and the big rear fan but its smaller, cheaper, the 190mm units (for they have 190mm impellers regardless of the frame size) are a bit more refined (read: quiet), the front has dust filters and thumbscrews >> dodgy PCI clips :P

For the record, the PCI clips are optional. There's a single little metal bar holding the whole mechanism in place, takes all of 30 secs to pull out and revert to the normal screw system.

edit: secondly, the casing on my GTX285 is too large for both the PCI clips, and indeed the thumbscrews! normal screws only for me please :)
    More "cut-price competitor". Its actually a rip-off of the CM690! But with more filters. And a free fan controller (although not a spot on the one on the lovely albeit overpriced Strom Sniper). And a badder-assed window :D

It's actually a really nice case. Friend of mine built a PC using it recently (using a Solitaire spec i linked him too btw :)), and i was very impressed by the features of such a cheap little thing! Fair bit of room inside too.

I never said that! :P

Apologies, my good man. I may or may not have had one or two glasses of wine earlier, and may or may not have been paying full attention to my posts.

+1. Getting an LGA1366 ATM is a bit like getting a Beemer instead of a Ford or Opel; you think its the clever e-penis option judging by the urban myths then start to wonder why everyone's laughing at you... :P

The x8 CF and no triple-channel just aren't big issues. They may make 1% difference 1% of the time, but the rest of the time the i7-860 is simply the better choice; it just seems so much better optimised than even the D0 i7-920 and its only a 95W part to boot ;)

One question though, do they over-clock as good as the LGA1366 variants? I know they should perform better with the lower draw and temps, but i haven't seen many (if any) benches go beyond that of LGA1366.

• Advertisement

I was all for LGA1156 but the one big issue I was worried about around 18 months back seems to have come true to an extent: some peeps are saying that without an unlocked multi (which Intel charge €900+ for) Intel have used the tied-in PCIe controller to hard-limit the OC ceiling: without (lots) more voltage they just won't stay stable. So i7 and its convenient Giant Price Premium is the only road for hardcore users to go down.

Nice one Intel. You giant bunch of twazzocks. :mad:

Got the 4870 installed in my nzxt rogue today, loads of space left over too. didnt even have to take the mobo tray out to install it. What a ****in beast of a card ! I think ill need another for CF now tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Surely that's overkill!!!

Got the 4870 installed in my nzxt rogue today, loads of space left over too. didnt even have to take the mobo tray out to install it.

You sound surprised. How? :confused: We're talking about a case the size of Leitrim here :D

You sound surprised. How? :confused: We're talking about a case the size of Leitrim here :D

Yeah yeah, i know :D

I have a 850w modular corsair psu on the way, a few f3 1tb drives, a haf 922 and a ocz ram cooler on the way. Then next month when i get paid its time for a cpu/mob/ram upgrade. Just need the haf to come back into stock with komplett.

I think if a microatx board that could do CF would easilly fit in this case with 2 cards. I just cant get over the room at the back of it really. Good thing is there are 2 120m fans blowing right onto the card too.

And the killer, i paid 260e for the card ;)

If any of you are looking to pick up some stuff, soon ill have this case, a 8800gts 512mb and some other goodies on adverts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah yeah, i know :D

I have a 850w modular corsair psu on the way, a few f3 1tb drives, a haf 922 and a ocz ram cooler on the way. Then next month when i get paid its time for a cpu/mob/ram upgrade. Just need the haf to come back into stock with komplett.

I think if a microatx board that could do CF would easilly fit in this case with 2 cards. I just cant get over the room at the back of it really. Good thing is there are 2 120m fans blowing right onto the card too.

And the killer, i paid 260e for the card ;)

If any of you are looking to pick up some stuff, soon ill have this case, a 8800gts 512mb and some other goodies on adverts.

What's your current power supply? Is it modular?

What's your current power supply? Is it modular?

Nah its a TT toughpower 550w non modular. Ive been very supprised with this psu, didnt think the 12v raid would be powerful enough for this card. Guess out of all of thermaltakes products one of them has to be a winrar, eh ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

just out of interest, do you think the 5870 would fit in it too??

Thats what i have in it now mate, loads of room

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ah sorry my bad. thought you said 4870 :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nah its a TT toughpower 550w non modular. Ive been very supprised with this psu, didnt think the 12v raid would be powerful enough for this card. Guess out of all of thermaltakes products one of them has to be a winrar, eh ?
    Bugger. I want a modular power supply.

Aye me too, thats why im getting the 850w corsair one. Have been reading a few reviews which have tested it and rated it at 1056w with 91-93% efficency.

Some of the Toughpower models were actually good - not surprising given they were based on the guts of the Odin and Corsair. Yep, Channel Well ;)

Im starting to consider if i actually need a i7, my Q6600 went tits up on friday and i had to use my e2140. I cant notice the difference in games at all. Certainly not at 1650*1080 which is what my nativ res is. Crysis still played maxed out no probs, dirt 2 is just as good as it was too. Granted the chip is at 2.8ghz up from 1.6ghz. Maybe a cheap i5 will do me?

course an i5 will do. The only reason i suggested i7 was because you sounded like you wanted an uber l33t system :p

i5 750 + healthy overclock to 3.5 - 4GHz and you'll be very happy. The i7 is really only worth if you are doing parallel programming (like I was). That's where you start to really notice the HT kicking in and benchmarks shooting up.

and since the ATIs don't seem to be bandwidth limited in CF due the on chip controller there's no real gain from an i7 system for games. Maybe in a few years time you might see some games that will benefit from HT, but it's no reason to get an i7 really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Im starting to consider if i actually need a i7, my Q6600 went tits up on friday and i had to use my e2140. I cant notice the difference in games at all. Certainly not at 1650*1080 which is what my nativ res is. Crysis still played maxed out no probs, dirt 2 is just as good as it was too. Granted the chip is at 2.8ghz up from 1.6ghz. Maybe a cheap i5 will do me?

A Cheap i5 is more than enough mate. You can Overclock them to 4GHz easp peasy and you can get them up to 4.5GHz Stable if you are lucky :)

Add to that the onboard PCIe Link and the P55 chipset is a lot better than the X58 for games.

Thanks guys, thats saved me a few hundred euro I see komplett have a nice i5 upgrade kit atm, shame the page is down atm. I know it has an intel board as in intel branded. Anyone know if they have any overclockign options in the bios?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Thanks guys, thats saved me a few hundred euro I see komplett have a nice i5 upgrade kit atm, shame the page is down atm. I know it has an intel board as in intel branded. Anyone know if they have any overclockign options in the bios?

Intel most likely does not. I would go for a Gigabyte Board in all honesty.

Advertisement