Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype + Video

• 09-10-2009 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

To use skype plus the video..would you get away with using a 1mb download package?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

when sending video, it's the upload you'll be concerned with. eircom 1Mbps has 128kbps on the upload. This makes for very low quality video settings. Depends on what you want to get out of it.

Also, you'll not actually get 128kbps anyway, it'll be lower (probably doing well to get 100-110kbps), making it a little bit lower quality again. You also have to fit the voice communications in there too, which doesn't take much, but it does use something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭thebourke

yeah basically want to have the webcam on when i am skyping..so 1 mb line would be useless then...

Not useless, just poor. If you have broadband already then give it a try. If you get it in, and it's not very good, you could upgrade (if your line allows).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Condi wrote: »

That's 240kbps, much faster than the 128kbps max. i.e., impossible. He might be getting 30kbps, that's certainly possible, and would make any kind of video chat all but impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

Condi wrote: »

30kb(bits)ps upload would be piss poor, equivalent to dial-up (56k download has about 28k upload from what I remember), and would be absolutely useless for video links.

If you're only getting 30kbps upload, when you should be getting 128kbps, then I'd have a look at your line stats, to see if that's it. If you run a speed test, what to you get for upload and download?

Advertisement