Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking/ Side Lights

• 09-10-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

So who uses them, and what are they for?
    I know they are required in some countries when parking on unlit streets at night, but I don't think that's the case in Ireland.
    Are they any use here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Use them whenever you think it would be helpful for your car to be visible.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

They should be used when parked in a dangerous position on unlit roads. Here in Ireland most people tend to park dangerously with no lights on or will park with their dipped headlights on which can be blinding to oncoming drivers particularly when the car is parked on the wrong side of the road and the lights are focused into your eyes:mad:.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

h3000 wrote: »
    They should be used when parked in a dangerous position on unlit roads. Here in Ireland most people tend to park dangerously with no lights on or will park with their dipped headlights on which can be blinding to oncoming drivers particularly when the car is parked on the wrong side of the road and the lights are focused into your eyes:mad:.
    dont know how many times ive seen that being done, when bringing hubbie to work one morning this tool was outside a house with full lights on coudnt see where i was going so i had to put my full lghts back on, he was parked. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF SAME HAPPEN TO YOU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Use them on wet, grey, dull, misty days, with lots of spray and especially at twilight.
    They will be be totally invisible to other road users, but will give you a warm sense of rectitude when you see your dashboard light up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

loobylou wrote: »
    Use them on wet, grey, dull, misty days, with lots of spray and especially at twilight.
    They will be be totally invisible to other road users, but will give you a warm sense of rectitude when you see your dashboard light up.

What's the point of using your lights if you're going to be invisible to other road users?! If you're driving, you should have your dipped lights on, for visibility/safety purposes.

What if someone, coming towards you (on a wet, grey, dull, misty day) decides to overtake and can't see you coming because you're "invisible"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

parking lights are useless

if you want to be seen use proper dipped beams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Poochie05

What's the point of using your lights if you're going to be invisible to other road users?! If you're driving, you should have your dipped lights on, for visibility/safety purposes.

What if someone, coming towards you (on a wet, grey, dull, misty day) decides to overtake and can't see you coming because you're "invisible"?

I think there was a touch of sarcasm in loubylou's post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I think there was a touch of sarcasm in loubylou's post :)

That's good sarcasm on her behalf then! - would help to use:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

There are plenty of idiots on the road who use their parking lights in poor lighting. There will be at least 30% of the drivers with only their parking lights on. I think this is even worse than no lights because the driver has obviously noticed the poor lighting but then decided to only use their parking lights. I don't get it. Then there's the even bigger muppets who use their parking lights with their fog lights when there's no fog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Parking lights are generally used at night by taxi drivers and scoobies so that they can drive around with their foglights on and dipped beams off so that they can, in their own opinion, look cool and not actually be able to see anything themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

LFCFan wrote: »
    There are plenty of idiots on the road who use their parking lights in poor lighting. There will be at least 30% of the drivers with only their parking lights on. I think this is even worse than no lights because the driver has obviously noticed the poor lighting but then decided to only use their parking lights. I don't get it. Then there's the even bigger muppets who use their parking lights with their fog lights when there's no fog.
    ah lads didnt you know they changed over to solar energey lights , you know the ones that soak up the sun and at night they come on to brighten up the car/garden, yes im in a silly mood.:P

Advertisement