Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Recommendations (formerly Front Light For Dark Country) Road Commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Any chance you happened to compare the 3 mode (2400mA output) against our 5 mode (1000mA) versions at any stage to see if there are any major differences besides the different modes and battery pouch style or if it is indeed a typo? (No worries if you didn't as I know the mount broke on you a while back. Any luck/news in getting that replaced or fixed?)
    No, as I said I have only used it out on a single spin and some commuting. Some back and forth with DX on what to send back, as it is after all only the bit of plastic that is damaged. Waiting on their response now a few weeks. All a bit frustrating. Think I may just send them back the plastic bit and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

blorg wrote: »
    No, as I said I have only used it out on a single spin and some commuting. Some back and forth with DX on what to send back, as it is after all only the bit of plastic that is damaged. Waiting on their response now a few weeks. All a bit frustrating. Think I may just send them back the plastic bit and see what happens.

Is a DIY option not a go-er?

EDIT:Just had a look a mine. I was thinking cable tying it to the underside of the stem might work. (put the screw back in to make it waterproof)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Its almost this time of year again, but I just came across the popular Fenix TK11 R2 edition on sale for £49.95 which is good for this torch if anyone is interested!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Errm, how do you mount these to the bike? And how do you go about charging the batteries? Another battery charger or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Errm, how do you mount these to the bike? And how do you go about charging the batteries? Another battery charger or what?

The magicshine comes with a mount built in but for the Fenix torch style lights you use stuff like this which work perfectly!

The batteries are often 18650 which you remove from the torch and charge using a charger like this top one or other styles available!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Ok 23 pages later..."I think I'm blind"

Any idea if the fenix mounts or the DX magicshine fit wingshaped/O/S bars?
    and how quick/easy are each one to remove?

Mine are here
    http://www.velomakak.com/parts/pics/bar_itm_MillenWingShape.jpg

Also any recommendations for rear lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd imagine you'll get lockblox on those bars although it might be a bit of a faff.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Anyone seen the new BuM Lumotec IQ Cyo LEDS? Looks powerful, 60 lux with daytime running lights / stand light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

rp wrote: »
    Anyone seen the new BuM Lumotec IQ Cyo LEDS? Looks powerful, 60 lux with daytime running lights / stand light.

I run a hub-dynamo powered one of these, on unlit roads at light. You can get more powerful lights, but it's fine up to about 30kmph, and no batteries is a major bonus.

actually, correction, I have the 40 watt "Fly" one, that one may be better, I don't think it was released when I got my one.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I run a hub-dynamo powered one of these, on unlit roads at light. You can get more powerful lights, but it's fine up to about 30kmph, and no batteries is a major bonus.
    Yeah, for commuting in winter, hub dynamo is the only option: I've done it all, batteries, rechargebles, side-wall dynamos, but the SON hub dynamo has been the only reliable thing.

I think this is a brand-new(*) light from BuM, brighter and not as odd looking as the 40 lux IQ Fly. The SON Edelux claims to be brighter, at 80 lux, but this one is half the price.

(*) From the BuM site "Ab Ende September 2010 im guten Fahrrad-Fachhandel erhaeltlich."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Great thread and very informative and insightful, big thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Currently on the market for some lights for the upcoming winter with the aim of doing some audax events and training spins. I've sufficient flasher lights on my commuter bike for city cycling as is so these would be solely for the road bike. Based on all I've read my thinking is to initially go for the Fenix and then possibly at a later date add the MagicShine or alternatively the Hope Vision 1 LED ( I do like the idea of a contained unit without the battery pack of the MagicShine and SuperFreak's review looked impressive)

Anyway my real question is concerning the Fenix. I see most people have the TK11 with the occasional LD20. Does anyone have the TK12 or how would this compare with the TK11 for cycling purposes? The TK12 looks more versatile with diff power options as below:

TK12 R5
    Modes / Outputs with 2 x CR123A batteries:
    • Low mode: Output A, 120 lumens (5.5 hours) Output B, 11 lumens (120 hours)
    • Default mode: Output A, 65 lumens (12 hours), Output B, 280 lumens (1.5 hours)
    • High mode: Output A, Strobe (3 hours) Output B, 280 lumens (1.5 hours)

TK11 R5
    • Turbo Mode: 285 Lumens, 2.7 hours (18650 Li-ion)
    • General Mode: Constant 60 Lumens, 14 hours (18650 Li-ion)

Size and weight wise the TK12 is slightly smaller and lighter
    TK12 R5 = 137.5 mm x 25.4 mm with head 34.0mm. Weight = 119g excluding batteries
    TK11 R5 = 135.0 mm x 25.4 mm with head 34.0mm. Weight = 152g excluding batteries

The one major concern is the reported run time on the TK12 but this is with the CR123A batteries and it does take the 18650 Li-ion so it appears to be an overall better light in every sense? Granted it's 5 lumens lower at 280 max instead of 285 but I doubt that's noticeable and the additional output of 120 lumens and even 11 lumens for reading or something if camping would be handy.

Price wise they're similar also
    TK12 R5 = £65.95 on FenixTorch.co.uk and TheTorchSite.co.uk
    TK11 R5 = £65.95 on TheTorchSite.co.uk
    TK11 R2 = £49.95 on TheTorchSite.co.uk
    TK12 R2 = £49.95 on TheTorchSite.co.uk

Am I missing something between the TK11 and TK12 or would anyone have any reason why the TK12 wouldn't be the preferred option over the TK11?

Also I see some of you have mentioned mounting the Fenix to your helmet and using the likes of the MagicShine on the bars. How heavy/awkward would the fenix be on a helmet in comparision to a more evenly weight dispersed headlamp like the Fenix HP10?
    Thanks

rp wrote: »
    Yeah, for commuting in winter, hub dynamo is the only option: I've done it all, batteries, rechargebles, side-wall dynamos, but the SON hub dynamo has been the only reliable thing.

Yes, but there's one big problem. If your bike breaks down, (like flat tyre) then you don't have lights any more, so you need to carry a small torch or spare light in your bag.

Once its on your bike. the IQ Fly doesn't look wierd at all. It's designed that way so that they gear and brake cables can pass behind the light.

@Dr C: in my experience with lights you want as few modes as possible. A 280 lumen strobe would likely be dangerous in traffic if you accidentally select it.

Also, the TK12 and TK11 both take the same batteries.

Regarding helmet mounting, I think the TKs are too big. The smaller AA or AAA models would be better for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 orlaf

Hi All,

I was on my way home last night and spotted somebody on a bike and when I passed I was amazed at the front light. It almost appeared like a moped coming along in the dark, the front light was that good.

I am running a Smart Half Watt LED on the rear of my bike. Can anyone recommend a really good front light and one at a reasonable price?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055708710

These are still going strong after a year and lots of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I have 2 x the Hope Vision One, as linked to by superfreak. They are good, and like superfreak i like the idea of them using readily available batteries. Biggest negative is that they cut out without warning at the end of the battery life.

I have one of the deal extreme "Magic Shine" lights (mentioned in the other thread) on the way for the craic - 60 odd euro? I just have to see how good it is.
    Biggest negatives on these seem to be delivery time, short standard cable and the need to improve waterproofing yourself and possibly some build quality issues. I'm confident enough about fixing up some of the niggles myself, so I'm gonna give em a shot.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Beasty

This looks interesting for anyone who was thinking of getting a Fenix or equivalent from China, but didn't fancy the shipping time

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14556.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

langdang wrote: »
    This looks interesting for anyone who was thinking of getting a Fenix or equivalent from China, but didn't fancy the shipping time

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14556.htm

Interesting..
    Wonder what the dimensions are and if it's waterproof casing? Either way for 12 might be worth a punt.

I'd say the quality would be at least as good as random Hong Kong Fenix clones, so "weatherproof" at least but as to how waterproof - who knows?

Collected my mail this morning to see that Customs have taken an interest in my DealExtreme MagicShine. :( Anyone know what the typical charges and duties are on these all in?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

I got one of these in aldi and can compare to an ultrafire fenix clone. They're sold by a company called "Illumination" and the design and build quality are much better. No clicky tail button, so no mode shifting on the bike. Threads are deep and accurate, no overspill of anodisation (which can also cause contact breaks and mode shifts). Feels quite substantial and definitely looks waterproof!

But, its bigger and heavier than my ultrafire - 162g compared to 110g including batts. Biggest problem is the beam - although bright, its narrow and focussed. The beam pattern on my ultrafire spreads out a bit - due to its orange peel reflector. This yoke has some kind of magnifier built into the perspex lens.

After a go around the block, its not bad at all, especially when used with another wider-field light. Its better than my ultrafires, but only because the ultrafire build quality is so bad resulting in constant mode shifts in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

plus 21% VAT and a 6euro fondling handling fee by Customs if they stop it.:(

plus 21% VAT and a 6euro fondling handling fee by Customs if they stop it.:(

aw cr*p sorry forgot about that

my one got through last year, just dont order before xmas

It's still excellent lumens per buck compared to the competition. (I'm waiting on the single light version)

• Advertisement

It's still excellent lumens per buck compared to the competition. (I'm waiting on the single light version)

what like this, its what i bought last year

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44459

or with the new battery pack ?

Advertisement