Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Recommendations (formerly Front Light For Dark Country) Road Commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭pprendeville

There are so many good suggestions on this that it's hard to know what to get. Would anyone be willing to show me a light in use in the dark? I'm considering one of the finix light and just mounting it to my helmet as shown on the site with a velcro strap. Anyone else do this.

Flagged down a cyclist in Merrion Sq on Turs eve. He had a light from full-beam.com. It was unreal. He said sometimes motorist flash there lights at him to dim it. His was flashing as well so I presume there were different modes on it.

I'm in the Finglas area but would be willing to travel to check out a light. PM me or whatever suits.

For cheap high powered lights look no further

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/index.php

Just saw a video on Youtube about thse. Look pretty decent alright. The guy was even dipping them into his pool and they still worked although I don't think I'll be doing that as I have no pool in the back garden.:D

on a seperate note, does anyone own a lupine tesla 4? these come higly rcommended by the guys on full-beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Hmmm....

resize?sq=280&uid=950482545+ a couple of those blue lights above. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

FISMA wrote: »
    Does anyone Use Hokey Spokes?

They look really good :)

Get some nice side visibility. Can you get them in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

There are so many good suggestions on this that it's hard to know what to get. Would anyone be willing to show me a light in use in the dark? I'm considering one of the finix light and just mounting it to my helmet as shown on the site with a velcro strap. Anyone else do this.

I'm in the Finglas area but would be willing to travel to check out a light. PM me or whatever suits.

Could be worth getting to the start of the Dying Light on Baggot St next Sat for around 07:45. There'll be a large number of cyclists (20+) and lights will be compulsory so should be able to see plenty in the flesh. The route goes up through Finglas village but might be a bit bright by then.

I bought the Fenix TK12 R5 recently after reading reviews on here. Haven't done any pitch black remote routes with it yet so can't vouch as for it's suitability but it seems plenty bright enough for road cycling and looks like a very robust piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hmmm....

resize?sq=280&uid=950482545+ a couple of those blue lights above. :D

I used to have one of those on my Burner when I was a kid, deadly !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Sorry to hijack the thread but can anyone recommend a decent set of lights? Budget around 100e, most of my cycling is done in urban, street-lit areas so I won't need a particularly high-powered light. Something durbale with a good mounting bracket preferably!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Sorry to hijack the thread but can anyone recommend a decent set of lights? Budget around 100e, most of my cycling is done in urban, street-lit areas so I won't need a particularly high-powered light. Something durbale with a good mounting bracket preferably!

I have a light from deal extreme myself but just noticed wiggle are going 20% off all lights for the next 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

ajk24 wrote: »
    just back from a spin from cork city out into the countryside (crossbarry) and back by way of south link ring road - the ayup lights are savage. 2 independently adjustable leds - better than most cars dipped beams, even
    had a pedestrian comment "those are an awesome set of lights" (it was a yank) as I pulled back into carpark at work.

they are reviewed on bike radar at the moment as well
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/roadie-kit-32400

will def be ordering - if anyone wants to get one there is a decent saving to be made on postage for a group order. :D

Have you ordered these yet ajk24?

Would be interested in getting a ste of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

logistic wrote: »
    I have a light from deal extreme myself but just noticed wiggle are going 20% off all lights for the next 3 days.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking the Cateye set with the HL-EL530 and TL-LD1100. Seems to be well-regarded from the reviews. Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

murf85 wrote: »
    Have you ordered these yet ajk24?

Would be interested in getting a ste of them!

just back from a spin using them. went out for 30km at 6.30 with @funkyzeit.

I thought they were great for hte first 25km until I realised that I had them on half power - so ended up thinking they were brilliant. If you have any sort of lights at the moment you should join us some evening to see what you think. should be out at least 2 evenings a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking the Cateye set with the HL-EL530 and TL-LD1100. Seems to be well-regarded from the reviews. Any thoughts?
    I have the HL-EL530. I think you could cycle on an unlit country road with it, but only quite slowly. It's much brighter than most white 4xAA-powered LEDs, but I've used one beside a Fenix and the Fenix is very much brighter.

I'm very happy with the HL-EL530, but the only poorly lit roads I use are the ones in the Phoenix Park. It's adequate to deal with those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I agree with tomasrojo. I bought this mainly for the Phoenix Park too. Its just bright enough for my slow commute. I was thinking of upgrading mine to a 2watt SMART myself.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/2w-front-light-35728

BostonB wrote: »
    I have the Cateye HL-EL530 along side another 5 led flasher. The HL-EL530 is only just bright enough on a unlit road. A bit brighter would be better if you're on dark roads a lot. I'm only on a completely unlit road for 5 mins or so, as the rest of the my route has street lights. The EL530 does pickup up the path/road better than other 5 led light. I notice cars noticing a bit earlier with it too. But if I was on unlit dark roads a lot I'd get a really serious rechargable light.

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/345

I'm not crazy about the CAT mounting bracket. Both of mine aren't rock solid, slowly slipping around, so I have to adjust every so often. I probably wouldn't buy another for that reason. Though maybe theres a knack to it. I have no other problem with my other lights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

ajk24 wrote: »

I thought they were great for hte first 25km until I realised that I had them on half power - so ended up thinking they were brilliant.k.

Yea - here I was thinking my lidl torches and my ebay mounts were as good as your fancy set up... In fairness they were very bright when looking back at ya....;)

I went with a Tumble and Fall (hope I won't be doing any tubling or falling) Pro900L. Hope it's as good as the website says.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

BostonB wrote: »
    Staggering beams. And prices!

I think I'll just have to draft wealthier cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I went with a Tumble and Fall (hope I won't be doing any tubling or falling) Pro900L. Hope it's as good as the website says.

Looks like a rebadged magic shine?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

The Exposure Six Pack looks awesome...................stay away from the credit card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mosiki wrote: »
    The Exposure Six Pack looks awesome...................stay away from the credit card

For that money I'd just get a Big Bang.

No point in having lots of light on a road bike if you have to point it at the ground ten feet away to prevent crashing into oncoming traffic.

Lumen wrote: »
    For that money I'd just get a Big Bang.

No point in having lots of light on a road bike if you have to point it at the ground ten feet away to prevent crashing into oncoming traffic.

Why point it at the ground, wont be much traffic in the hills at night. The Maxx-D mk3 is another option, looks pretty good too.

Why point it at the ground, wont be much traffic in the hills at night. The Maxx-D mk3 is another option, looks pretty good too.

Well OK. But what do you do when traffic comes? Turn it off? Point it down? Does the mount provide for that? Do you have to run a separate "dipped" light for when there's traffic?

I already have a hope vision 1 adventure on teh helmet and a hope vision 1 on the bar for ascending, and then the exposure for descending.

screw the traffic:)

whats better about a big bang?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have the Maxx D and have it directed slightly down and towards the kerb to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. It gives me plenty of light, illuminating my side of the road for probably 15 metres or so (I also supplement it with a helmet light)

Tawfee wrote: »
    i've the Cateye EL135 which has the same bracket & i have to agree with you BostonB, it's hard to get it very tight & even though it sounds contradictory, it's also a nuisance to remove it altogether from the bars. Apart from that the EL135 is a good one, surprising how much light it throws out.

As an update apparently these brackets are better and work with the 530...dunno about the 135

H-31 or H-32 Bracket

http://www.cateye.com/store/parts.php?cid=2_74

This mod might also be of interest...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=167551

I already have a hope vision 1 adventure on teh helmet and a hope vision 1 on the bar for ascending, and then the exposure for descending.

screw the traffic:)

whats better about a big bang?

In my opinion, obviously...

For powerful lights on trafficked roads, beam pattern is everything. There's no point in having loads of lumens if they're directed at the ground 5m in front of you to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

If you can't have a dipped beam pattern you need to be able to easily dip and undip the light as you go. Blorg mentioned that he does this to his Fenix with one hand as he rides along. Doesn't appeal to me really, I'd rather have a properly designed light in the first place.

None of this is an issue with ~200 lumens, since oncoming cars can deal with the spill. Past that, I think it's antisocial and dangerous to be using MTB lights on the road. Unless they're pointed down, which makes the extra throw pointless.

This is my conclusion from using a few torch style lights.

If I could justify spending €600 or whatever on lights I'd have a Big Bang, no question. Or something with a similar pattern (I saw one on a couple of weeks back BikeRadar, can't remember what it was since I don't trust their reviews).

Using multiple lights is a reasonable workaround: one for dipped, one for main beam. But then you need a suitable switch, i.e. not a tailcap clicky that changes into "kill everything" strobe mode when you hit a bump.

Big Bang:

BigBang_Str.jpg

Lupine Betty:

Lupine7_Str.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Staggering beams. And prices!
    The Terra 2 is €90 on CRC including delivery when you include the CRC discount.

Strongly considering it - I've been using the EL530 for nearly two years, it's taken a few bumps but I find myself replacing batteries all the time. The bracket also wrecks my head and I find that the power of the light will dim (or brighten) if the light is shaken. Which happens all the time on crappy Irish roads. I keep having to hit it like an old crappy TV to get the light back.

So I checked out the cost of getting a decent battery charger and rechargeable AA & AAA batteries, and by the time you get there, it's only a €20 jump to the Terra 2 lights...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 milkybar

Hi All,

I am looking for a really bright front light and wonder what the best one to get would be,

I have spoken to a guy from a site that has a 900 lumens light on special offer and they also told me it comes with warrenty

http://ultimatesports.ie/category/lights/

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

how about this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CATEYE-R3-RECHARGEABLE-FRONT-LIGHT-RRP-299-99-/160446941703?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item255b620a07

:D

If your after a really good LED light, check out dealextreme, you would get a really good LED torch for $15-20 delivered and then just buy a fenix holder http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13004, have one on my bike and works great

Advertisement