Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Recommendations (formerly Front Light For Dark Country) Road Commute

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 milkybar

sonic.trip wrote: »
    how about this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CATEYE-R3-RECHARGEABLE-FRONT-LIGHT-RRP-299-99-/160446941703?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item255b620a07

:D

If your after a really good LED light, check out dealextreme, you would get a really good LED torch for $15-20 delivered and then just buy a fenix holder http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13004, have one on my bike and works great

But would the 900 lumens be a lot better for may a bit or road riding and moutainbiking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I dunno. Find out what light it is, and what the pattern it projects onto the road is. Some of them have lots of lumens, and you can see everything 10m down the road... but not what's in front of you right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

milkybar wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am looking for a really bright front light and wonder what the best one to get would be,

I have spoken to a guy from a site that has a 900 lumens light on special offer and they also told me it comes with warrenty

http://ultimatesports.ie/category/lights/

Thanks for the help

That's a lot of money for what looks like a MagicShine.

For less money you could get this from the UK, or even cheaper direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

seamus wrote: »
    The Terra 2 is €90 on CRC including delivery when you include the CRC discount.

Strongly considering it - I've been using the EL530 for nearly two years, it's taken a few bumps but I find myself replacing batteries all the time. The bracket also wrecks my head and I find that the power of the light will dim (or brighten) if the light is shaken. Which happens all the time on crappy Irish roads. I keep having to hit it like an old crappy TV to get the light back.

So I checked out the cost of getting a decent battery charger and rechargeable AA & AAA batteries, and by the time you get there, it's only a €20 jump to the Terra 2 lights...

Got these for EUR with 105 discount and tested last night. Hope to commute 1 day a week and continue with nightstuff I do which is pretty well lit. Will complement with helmet light using old bike light.

Took a spin up by Beasty demense last night with them and am very happy with my bang per buck with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

I got this email off Geomangear it may be important for anyone who bought a MagicShine light off them! Do ye think it will apply to all MagicShines regardless of where you bought them (for example Deal Extreme)?
    To Our Valued Geomangear Customers,

Geomangear temporarily has stopped selling Magicshine lightsets due to our
    concerns regarding the safety, quality, and performance of Magicshine's
    lithium-ion battery packs sold by Geomangear between July 2009 and November
    2010. We have determined that these Magicshine battery packs do not meet
    Geomangear's high expectations regarding product safety, quality, and
    performance. We have notified both the manufacturer of Magicshine lightsets
    and the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission that Geomangear
    intends to voluntarily recall all Magicshine battery packs sold by
    Geomangear.

We are actively working with the Safety Commission, outside engineering
    consultants, and a new battery pack supplier to evaluate product recall
    options for our customers. Geomangear will provide recall information and
    instructions directly to our affected customers after our final corrective
    action plan has been approved by the Safety Commission.

If you bought a Magicshine lightset from us between June 2009 and November
    2010, please discontinue using your lightset until we are able to provide
    you with an upgraded replacement battery pack. Despite our best efforts,
    this process will take some time, and we ask for your patience. You can
    rest assured that Geomangear has taken, and will continue to take,
    appropriate steps to protect the safety of our customers, and we will stand
    behind our products. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may
    cause you and appreciate your continued loyalty and support during this
    unprecedented situation our company is facing.

• Advertisement

I got this email off Geomangear it may be important for anyone who bought a MagicShine light off them! Do ye think it will apply to all MagicShines regardless of where you bought them (for example Deal Extreme)?

There apparently can be a bit of an issue with multi-cell battery packs where if the cells are not precisely "matched" in terms of capacity, then they finish discharging at different times, causing increased current draw to the cell(s) with the remaining capacity. It obviously depends on how the battery pack is regulated, but this is why most of the high-power lights come with sealed packs, so that the end user can't go sticking in any old cell and blowing the thing up.

Geomangear have a decent reputation on CPF, so I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of this.

I would think you'd have less comeback with DX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I have a set, and while they are (very!) good as Chinese developed electronics go, I would always be cautious with stuff that may not have gone through EU/American style safety and quality checks.

These would be my typical precautions on Shenzen goodies:
    A) Don't rely on them 100%
    B) Don't charge them overnight or leave charging in an unattended house.
    c) Don't use anything with the possibility of spontaneous combustion/detonation/chemical-leak near eyes or genitals. :eek:;)

I was reading more about dynamo lights last night, trying to understand how they compare to the likes of the MagicShine.

I think a couple of posters have mentioned that they run SON hubs. There is good information on these at Peter White Cycles.

The graphs show that the drag when lights are off is negligible:

diag1.gif

..and when the light is on the drag is about 7.5W when drawing 3W at 30kph:

diag2.gif

Apparently you can run two lights off a single SON hub, and hang them off the handlebars like this:

r&mbracketdual.jpg

There is more info on Sheldon's site too.

The top-end dynamo lights seem to be the B&M IQ Cyo, which have both 60lux continuous mode for nighttime and flashers for daytime.

I think when using LED lights the drag will flatten out once they're running at full power, although I'm not sure what that power is for the B&M Cyos.

A wheel built with a SON hub costs £210 from Kinetic in the UK.

This would put the complete price of a single headlight setup at a little over €300, or a dual-light setup at around €370.

If I was starting again with lights I might consider this setup for road use. 120lux @ 10m is (I think) significantly more than the MagicShine manages at full tilt, there's no issue with blinding oncoming traffic and it'd be handy not to have to worry about batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

I have just finished setting up my bike with the B&M IQ Cyo and a Shimano Dynohub (The DH-3N80). The 3N80 is referred to as having 'Ultegra level' quality and it does seem pretty good. It is not that heavy and I think the drag is not noticeable at all. It is also very affordable - I got it from Rose Verand in Germany for 63 Euro: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-nabendynamo-dh-3n80 (but with 5 Euro delivery).

The Cyo cost 73 Euro also from Rose: http://www.roseversand.de/artikel/b--m-lumotec-iq-cyo-senso-plus-60-lux

I got a wheel built up with an Open Sport rim (to allow larger range of tyre sizes) which was about 70 Euro (I cannot recall the exact price) so I got the whole lot for something around 200 euro.

I am very happy with it. The Cyo light is very bright and it is well focused meaning you get a 'rectangle' of light which lights up the road but will not dazzle on-coming traffic.

Whilst coming home one evening lately on a twisty rural road I did notice that cars appeared to be dimming their headlights before they came around the corner - indicating that the Cyo was generating enough light for them to know I was coming :D

I also considered the SON but went for the Shimano as it is about a third of the price and I am not sure that the SON is 3 times the quality of the Shimano.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sh100

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29489
    This is great value for money and a great lamp. All spares available as well.

• Advertisement

Have only used the back lights which are pretty good in this (but it seems like a good deal): http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=X0908

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Quote: IMPORTANT, PLS READ!
    To Our Valued Geomangear Customers,

Geomangear temporarily has stopped selling Magicshine lightsets due to our
    concerns regarding the safety, quality, and performance of Magicshine's
    lithium-ion battery packs sold by Geomangear between July 2009 and November
    2010. We have determined that these Magicshine battery packs do not meet
    Geomangear's high expectations regarding product safety, quality, and
    performance. We have notified both the manufacturer of Magicshine lightsets
    and the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission that Geomangear
    intends to voluntarily recall all Magicshine battery packs sold by
    Geomangear.

We are actively working with the Safety Commission, outside engineering
    consultants, and a new battery pack supplier to evaluate product recall
    options for our customers. Geomangear will provide recall information and
    instructions directly to our affected customers after our final corrective
    action plan has been approved by the Safety Commission.

If you bought a Magicshine lightset from us between June 2009 and November
    2010, please discontinue using your lightset until we are able to provide
    you with an upgraded replacement battery pack. Despite our best efforts,
    this process will take some time, and we ask for your patience. You can
    rest assured that Geomangear has taken, and will continue to take,
    appropriate steps to protect the safety of our customers, and we will stand
    behind our products. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may
    cause you and appreciate your continued loyalty and support during this
    unprecedented situation our company is facing.

Lumen wrote: »
    Geomangear have a decent reputation on CPF, so I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of this.

I would think you'd have less comeback with DX.
    langdang wrote: »
    I have a set, and while they are (very!) good as Chinese developed electronics go, I would always be cautious with stuff that may not have gone through EU/American style safety and quality checks.

These would be my typical precautions on Shenzen goodies.....

Hey guys,

I ignored the email received from GeoManGear as I never bought my MagicShine light from them but DealExtreme instead and thought I might be ok.

Now in the post I receive a letter from The SingleTrackStore (4 pages scanned and attached below for you to read and in case anybody else needs to use them and send their battery back) a year and a half after I bought my light. Quite simply it says the same thing as the GeoManGear email, that the MagicShine battery could be faulty and is potentially dangerous. There is a returns form to send the battery to the US for a new one and a label to attach to the package, all of which seem can be also found on this website: https://magicshinebatteryrecall.com/

I know quite a few boardsies bought MagicShine lights around the same time so what is the general consensus? Send them back to be safe even though we didn't buy them from these websites making the recall and wait the 'several months' which it may take to complete the exchange or take the risk and hope ours are ok? Do you think MagicShine's bought off DealExtreme could have escaped the defective batch or are all these Shenzen goodies made in the same place and liable to be all faulty?

This looks good.

Supernova Airstream light £169.99
    http://road.cc/content/review/26007-supernova-airstream-light

Unusually for a torch-shaped light, it has a cutoff to meet German regulations.

At 67 lux this should be substantially brighter than my current favourite battery light, the Ixon IQ Speed (40 lux).

On the downside, it seems to require a special battery.

There is also an "international" version, which doesn't meet German regs (I assume this is a bad thing, if that means no cut off).

http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/products/airstream_2.html

Useful resource for bike lighting, including comparisons of Magicshine with various other battery and dynamo powered lights.

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html

Conclusion: the Philips LED bike light is worth investigating.

http://www.bike24.com/p214244.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Greenman wrote: »

HI
    having read nearly all this thread :) - I might go with dx for some of these lights.
    But the above list is from 2010. So does anyone have an upto date list from dx , that they have purchased recently. there are thousands of torches on the website.
    but got an email from dx during week with this uk based torch - with 3 day shipping and no customs - here
    will probably get 2 in the end - a bit of evening lite trail riding.
    thx
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

karltimber wrote: »
    HI
    having read nearly all this thread :) - I might go with dx for some of these lights.
    But the above list is from 2010. So does anyone have an upto date list from dx , that they have purchased recently. there are thousands of torches on the website.
    but got an email from dx during week with this uk based torch - with 3 day shipping and no customs - here
    will probably get 2 in the end - a bit of evening lite trail riding.
    thx
    K

The only issue you might have with some of those torches is run time. I bought a Uniquefire S10 which puts out 220 lumen and runs off of a 14500 battery. It lasts for about 30 mins before the battery is dead.

Thanks for that Kin,
    suppose they are cheap for a reason.
    Have about 120 to spend on a good light setup.

was thinking of a dual setup - either two Lenser P7's or Fenix tk15, or a mix or the two. Or even a Hope vision 1 or a Magicshine 816 (looks likes a runner)
    Mixing the two with different batteries though may not be worth it. AAA would be the easiest setup.

question ref P7 - does the button need to be held in for the 2nd power mode and is the first power mode enough ?

my head is wrecked looking at all the diff models :)

The Magicshine 816 - looks like it might be easiest setup - 3 good settings with a warning light for when it getslow on juice. UK delivery too.

k

I am not much of a MTBer, but for trail riding I would suggest a bar-mounted light with good throw running on an 18650 or 4 AAs (e.g. Fenix TK-11 or Hope Vision) and a smaller helmet mounted torch for looking immediately in front and round corners.

Or Ayups.

Fenixtorch.co.uk and thephotonshop.co.uk are worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

karltimber wrote: »
    Thanks for that Kin,
    suppose they are cheap for a reason.
    Have about 120 to spend on a good light setup.

was thinking of a dual setup - either two Lenser P7's or Fenix tk15, or a mix or the two. Or even a Hope vision 1 or a Magicshine 816 (looks likes a runner)
    Mixing the two with different batteries though may not be worth it. AAA would be the easiest setup.

question ref P7 - does the button need to be held in for the 2nd power mode and is the first power mode enough ?

my head is wrecked looking at all the diff models :)

The Magicshine 816 - looks like it might be easiest setup - 3 good settings with a warning light for when it getslow on juice. UK delivery too.

k

The Lenser P7 has 2 'run' levels and one very bright 'boost' level.
    When you push the button a little, you get the maximum boost level. So as long as you press the button slightly you are in Boost mode.
    As you push the button further in, it clicks and when you release your hand it stays in High power.
    Pushing the button fully in again gives another click and drops you to Low power.
    Pushing the button fully in again, gives another click and switches off.

So the boost level requires you to keep your finger lightly on the button, the other two will stay on unattended. Boost is only intended to be used for short periods I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I bought a TK-11 and gave it its first proper country road outing last night. It had previously performed well in my children's 'let's make animal shapes on the wall (oh that looks like something rude) challenge'.

It did the job well although belting down a country road in the dead of night was still an unnerving (but fun) experience. It lit up a nice clear circle and threw a good bit down the road. All the same, I could have done with a little more power but that might be a case of me needing to get used to the overall experience. I would have preferred a button to change the high/low setting rather than the awkward one-handed twisty operation.

The Great Product Tester in the Sky decided to bestow a puncture upon me. There were no problems but it made me think a helmet mount would be worth investing in.

• Advertisement

I would have preferred a button to change the high/low setting rather than the awkward one-handed twisty operation.

FWIW I've had bad experiences with mode-changing tailcap clickies. They're fine for the guntotingtinfoilhatwearingsurvivalist types who buy a lot of these "tactical" torches, but on a bike the batteries can bounce on the spring and change mode when you hit a bump. 250 lumen tactical strobe into oncoming traffic isn't a great idea.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

They're fine for the guntotingtinfoilhatwearingsurvivalist types who buy a lot of these "tactical" torches.
    Hey?!!

I bought a TK-11

yeah - was looking at the tk15 for that reason - it has a new side button too.

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-tk15.html

Philips led bike light - some ok reviews.
    Hope 1 vision - ok reviews.

helmet mount here

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/helmet_mount_mod.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39 void2500

I plan to start cycle to my work out in Leixlip from Clonsilla, as the fastest route would be along the canal I need some better light

I currently have something similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/76-LED-Bicycle-Bike-Light-Torch-Flashlight-Flash-light-/130569397313?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item1e668ae441

I plan to get two lights on the bike, as it is pitch dark out on the pathway there in the morning. I might even consider a head lamp aswell.

what is your suggestion to get to have good enough light to see where I'm cycling?

void2500 wrote: »
    I plan to start cycle to my work out in Leixlip from Clonsilla, as the fastest route would be along the canal

I bet you'd be faster on the road:

http://g.co/maps/ky53n

• Registered Users Posts: 39 void2500

I bet you'd be faster on the road:

http://g.co/maps/ky53n

I tried that route once during a Saturday around 14.00
    It is quite heavy traffic there unfortunatelly. It took me 50 minutes out to Castletown in Leixlip that route. Took along the canal home, was 10 minutes faster and I didn't had to queue at the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I bought a TK-11 and gave it its first proper country road outing last night. It had previously performed well in my children's 'let's make animal shapes on the wall (oh that looks like something rude) challenge'.

It did the job well although belting down a country road in the dead of night was still an unnerving (but fun) experience. It lit up a nice clear circle and threw a good bit down the road. All the same, I could have done with a little more power but that might be a case of me needing to get used to the overall experience. I would have preferred a button to change the high/low setting rather than the awkward one-handed twisty operation.

The Great Product Tester in the Sky decided to bestow a puncture upon me. There were no problems but it made me think a helmet mount would be worth investing in.

I use mine with a helmet mount. Handy for pointing at drivers in the city and the twist mode switch is relatively easy to use one-handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi all

I in the market for a good set of light for the morning and evening commutes this winter and wonder what your views are on this set??

http://kulshancycles.com/product/bontrager-ion-2-headlight-flare-3-taillight-set-76179-1.htm

Its 60 euro (this includes a 10% discount) in wheelworx on the fonthill rd. Would anyone else be able to recommend a better one at a lower/same price???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Or for an extra 20 euro you can get a set of half way decent lights

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-flashflare-light-pack-with-disposable-batteries/

the light you posted claims 20 lumen.

The Flash is 40 with disposable batters for for another tenner 110 lumen with rechargeable batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If you're going for lights in this price range you're far, far better off looking at getting cheap lights from China. Never be able to beat the price and the LED's used in these are the newest generation, high efficiency and high output.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterproof-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82510
    or
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-wf-502b-xm-lt6-5-mode-510-lumen-memory-white-led-flashlight-with-clip-1-18650-55238 + a few batteries (there's more powerful torches but you only want something about this output with a single battery)

These lights will be more than bright enough to light up the road infront of you, if you're only going to be cycling in lit urban areas you'll get away with a cheaper and smaller set. Something like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64513

Advertisement