Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Recommendations (formerly Front Light For Dark Country) Road Commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I also use the B&M "Cyo Premium T" with a Shimano Hub Dynamo. Excellent light.

Me too, I use the Dynamo on my winter wheel. Put it in the bike in October and havn't had to worry about it getting dark since. And havn't had to worry about batteries or charging.

I really don't understand why bike shops/suppliers don't offer them as an option when selling bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ted1 wrote: »
    Me too, I use the Dynamo on my winter wheel. Put it in the bike in October and havn't had to worry about it getting dark since. And havn't had to worry as much about batteries or charging.

I really don't understand why bike shops/suppliers don't offer them as an option when selling bikes.

Fixed your post.

Dynamo is no use when wheel isn't turning and you need to fix a mechanical

ford2600 wrote: »
    Fixed your post.

Dynamo is no use when wheel isn't turning and you need to fix a mechanical

Wouldn't say no use, I get 7 minutes of light from the smaller LEDs on the front. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I use a leyzene 800 XL and it's perfectly fine for 3 hrs at high beam on the country roads I use....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Orderd the SuperNova. It was the exact same price as the B+M IQx, but smaller form factor, it matching the bike better, and possibly a better mounting bracket made me go for it. A 5 year warranty too helps.

Now the waiting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I'm curious, do any of these options have concepts of a Full beam and dipped beam?

I know a lot of them have strengths including eco, low, medium, high etc... but do any of them have a simple way of toggling between high and medium without going between other options?

basically I'm worried about the possibility of blinding a oncoming car(some of the lights being discussed here seem to be brights enough to worry about this) and would like to be able to quickly "dip" the full beam and then switch back without selecting various other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

CatFromHue wrote: »
    be careful with a 1000 lumen light as you will blind people with it

Agreed. Totally OTT to use a 1000lumen light on a bicycle on public roads. You may as well shine a laser at motorists. Same effect!

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Agreed. Totally OTT to use a 1000lumen light on a bicycle on public roads. You may as well shine a laser at motorists. Same effect!

Yep poorly designed lights tend to measure in lumens where as well designed , purpose built lights tend to use lux.

For cycling Good lux beats high lumens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Takca wrote: »
    I'm curious, do any of these options have concepts of a Full beam and dipped beam?

I know a lot of them have strengths including eco, low, medium, high etc... but do any of them have a simple way of toggling between high and medium without going between other options?

basically I'm worried about the possibility of blinding a oncoming car(some of the lights being discussed here seem to be brights enough to worry about this) and would like to be able to quickly "dip" the full beam and then switch back without selecting various other options.

The Lezyne lights in "over drive" mode will cut out all the other options and leave you with two choices, max and economy outputs. Cuts out the other 4/5 modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ted1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't say no use, I get 7 minutes of light from the smaller LEDs on the front. ;)
    Yeah but you can't shine that on the rear mech as you try to fix it. I carry a small Fenix E12 torch strapped to my helmet. Useful for reading speedo/route sheet/map in the dark and very handy for mechanicals. Takes one AA battery.
    Takca wrote: »

Have a look at lighting on Rosebikes.com . Being a german firm, they pretty much only stock street legal in Germany lights. These are designed to light the road much like a car's dipped beam. You don't really need a high beam on the bike except for night-time descending and many of the higher-powered street-legal lights will suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/

For value for money hard to beat this guy. Great follow up service. Triple Cree light with long life battery gives you all night light, middle setting about 15 hours, top setting over 4 hours.
    When I got mine I switched it on to fully discharge before fully charging, it took over 24 hrs to empty....

So I picked up this one:

http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/product-black-1000-lumen-bike-light-kit.html

Ordered on Friday and it landed in parcel motel on Saturday night. So far my first impressions are good. Nice quality light, seems well built, and it came with a couple of mounting options which was nice. I have it mounted to my bars with the battery pack velcroed to the top tube as far forward as it'll go. I'll probably try a few options with the battery pack positioning, but so far so good. The light is very bright, I have it dipped and pointed down to keep it from dazzling drivers. The middle setting seems to be the sweet spot for me.

So far I'm happy, nice light for not too much money. And plenty bright for even the darkest of stretches. :)

Somehow managed to not complete my order.

Is it worth getting a rear light as the supernova I was ordering has a rear wire as standard so I'd nearly need one.

I'm back to the drawing board a bit. Supernova are not compatible with other brands either

Weepsie wrote: »

Is it worth getting a rear light as the supernova I was ordering as a rear wire as standard so I'd nearly need one.

I'm back to the drawing board a bit. Supernova are not compatible with other brands either

"It is Weepsie who are Hamlet"

ford2600 wrote: »
    "It is Weepsie who are Hamlet"

I'm not nearly that complex, I'm just overthinking it all as ever.

Is it worth getting a rear light as the supernova I was ordering has a rear wire as standard so I'd nearly need one.

Yes. Absolutely most hubs are 6V and 3W. Front lights are generally 2.4W and the back is .6W

For the fit and forget convinence it's worth it.

When you say not compatible how do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I went through that a couple of years ago, couldn't be bothered to work out the compatibility issues so went back to Shimano and B&M.

A rear dyno light is handy, mostly as a backup to a rechargeable flasher.

Completely changed my mind and ended up grabbing the B + M Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium T and a Rear brake light. Threw in the USB-Werk charger and came to roughly same price as the Supernova lights on their own.

Might regret the charger however if I don't get some good cycling in

Ordered last night at 10.30 PM Shipped today at 9.12 AM. It's a stereotype, but those German really are bloody efficient sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I'm looking for something suitable for riding at night this Winter without breaking the bank and without going into the dynamo market. I wouldn't mind a battery pack attached to the top tube. I'd like to have at least 1000 Lumens to ride comfortably even at 30 km/h for
    Use would be mostly Road, around rural roads. 
    Can anyone suggest a particular light? 
    This one on CRC seems to tick all the boxes, but I'm not sure about the Lifeline brand... 
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-ara-2000l-external-battery-front-light/rp-prod161246

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If your OK with spending that much on one light, i'd recommend this one...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/hope-r2-vision-led-front-light/rp-prod140450

I have the older version (R4) and it's a great light. Battery life might also be a consideration...with my R4 on the Medium setting i get about 2 hours out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

CatEye Volt 1600 / 1700 works for me.

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/headlights/HL-EL1020RC/

Places like Probikekit should have the newer version (1700) for around €130. You may find the 1600 for less

Single piece unit, huge range of brackets available, can get a spare battery (though disproportionately expensive) and a known brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

I used this below for the night leg of the 24HR TT recently, no problems riding at up to 50 km/hr on the downhill bits using the 450 lumen setting and got 6 hrs 37 mins from the combination of light and battery pack (supposed to be 9hrs according to the brochure), it died just as dawn broke.

In fairness I'd be very happy with it for what I paid for it, which was a bit less than the current price.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories/lezyne-power-drive-1100i-loaded-front-light-black/11509389.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

CatEye Volt 1600 / 1700 works for me.

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/headlights/HL-EL1020RC/

Places like Probikekit should have the newer version (1700) for around €130. You may find the 1600 for less

Single piece unit, huge range of brackets available, can get a spare battery (though disproportionately expensive) and a known brand.

used over the winter in the pitch black wicklow hills. could see deer miles ahead. brilliant light but takes a day to recharge fully so recharge as soon as home.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cateye/Volt-1200-Lumens-USB-Rechargeable-Front-Light/2V9H?&co=IRL&cu=EUR&glCountry=IE&id=133829&gclid=CjwKCAjwwo7cBRBwEiwAMEoXPBvfwO2QqdmsVTf24e6R8JYXCJA8p_POT056wk_mwnyApsBd0lOOJxoCzdQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

clod71 wrote: »
    I'm looking for something suitable for riding at night this Winter without breaking the bank and without going into the dynamo market. I wouldn't mind a battery pack attached to the top tube. I'd like to have at least 1000 Lumens to ride comfortably even at 30 km/h for
    This one on CRC seems to tick all the boxes, but I'm not sure about the Lifeline brand... 
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-ara-2000l-external-battery-front-light/rp-prod161246
    For that sort of money you'll get a decent 80lux front light and dynamo wheel and you never have to worry about charging or running out of battery again. You also get a light that will put all the light on the road rather than on the hedges and treetops...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

cdaly_ wrote: »
    clod71 wrote: »
    For that sort of money you'll get a decent 80lux front light and dynamo wheel and you never have to worry about charging or running out of battery again.  You also get a light that will put all the light on the road rather than on the hedges and treetops...
    I want something that I could easily move between different bikes...
    Are you saying that type of light is more for off-road use (symmetrical) or are you referring at the position of the light (close to the fork crown rather than the bar) ?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You also get a light that will put all the light on the road rather than on the hedges and treetops...

That's not power source dependant....

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike-parts/bike-lights/battery-powered/headlights?sort=price_desc&brand%5B%5D=B+%2B+M&brand%5B%5D=Trelock

There's a list of StVZO approved battery powered lights from B&M and Trelock.
    100 lux B&M lights are really good. I'd love to see the 150 lux in action.

You'll get a lot of light if you are prepared for top tube battery for a lot less than your budget

I'm wary of fixed battery rechargeable lights, particularly those with micro-usb connectors as these have plenty of opportunity to corrode or short. You also have to stop for recharging which doesn't work in audax.

I used to use a Fenix BT20 which uses 18650 replaceable, rechargeable batteries. On a long ride, a second set of batteries keeps you going for 24+ hours without having to stop for a few hours to charge your lights. I've stopped using it since I got the dynamo but then again, I don't suffer from N+1...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Exposure Strada, second hand if it's above your budget (they also do factory seconds with full warranty).

Excellent kit with excellent support.

Edit to say, factory second currently on sale for £212, either duff anodising or etching on brand name.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Exposure strada is job expensive but works.

• Advertisement

Honestly if it’s for daily use during the winter a dynamo is the way to go.
    I put mine on in about October and take it off in March. No worrying about batteries and riding about 2.5 hours a day

Advertisement