Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Recommendations (formerly Front Light For Dark Country) Road Commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Any links to a decent dynamo one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

sullzz wrote: »
    Any links to a decent dynamo one ?
    https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057895134/2#107851293

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

ted1 wrote: »
    Honestly if it’s for daily use during the winter a dynamo is the way to go.
    I put mine on in about October and take it off in March. No worrying about batteries and riding about 2.5 hours a day
    I've got lights for commuting during the day/evening...
    I was looking for something more powerful and with a better lasting battery for the occasional Audax or specifically for an after dinner ride... 2/3 hrs exploring unlit back roads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I got a raveman pr1200 20 hours on a low but very usable setting. Comes with a handlebar mounted full power button. Can also charge other devices eg Garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

anyone use the cheapo ones with external batteries on the likes of aliexpress?

i wouldn't mind one for a couple of uses during winter but it's not likely to get used more than a handful of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    anyone use the cheapo ones with external batteries on the likes of aliexpress?

i wouldn't mind one for a couple of uses during winter but it's not likely to get used more than a handful of times.
    I have used a relatively cheap cree one, but I didn't appreciate (despite what people said on here!) the impact of the wide dispersal beam until I met a few salmon on my commute and got blinded.

They're great for off-road, but not appropriate for on-road, and potentially unsafe for you if you dazzle a driver.

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/bike-lights/front-bike-lights/magicshine-mj-902b-smart-usb-bike-light-bluetooth-app-version.html
    This one seems to get a good enough review here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DPyg5EIrA0 
    I like the fact that you can also plug in your Garmin. After 200 km the battery on my one goes...
    Not sure what to do... whether go with the battery pack or with a normal torch...

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I have a cheap cree one and tape off the top half of the light with black insulating tape.. Stops light from blinding peeps and driving into me. Battery lasts for hours and lights up everything on the dark back roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Traffic is back, the night is starting to claw its way back into mornings and evenings, and dull and wet days are ahead. It's time to resurrect the annual thread on lights.

I've seen a girl riding around Terenure in the evenings with multicoloured spoke lights. Obviously fnck all use for seeing, but incredibly conspicuous, looks like a really good augmentation to standard front and back lights, especially for commuting.

Anyone know the best of these? I've bought enough cheap lights in my time to know that spending €6 on a yoke from Halfords will need to replaced before Christmas after wrestling with it and hitting it for several weeks beforehand.

I think I'm convinced on the dyno hub. But I have a question - are all hubs created equal? I know resistance/ drag is probably not equal, but if it states 6v 3w, will it power any of the options?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mod: Threads merged, as they are basically the same and there's a wealth of info in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think I'm convinced on the dyno hub. But I have a question - are all hubs created equal? I know resistance/ drag is probably not equal, but if it states 6v 3w, will it power any of the options?

From the power point of view yes. 6V 3W is the same regardless of hub. There are 2.4W hubs available also so be aware of these.

From the product quality point of view, there are a host of options...

I have a cheap cree one and tape off the top half of the light with black insulating tape.. Stops light from blinding peeps and driving into me. Battery lasts for hours and lights up everything on the dark back roads...

recent purchase? any link to it? Suitable for dark roads at 26kph?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    From the power point of view yes. 6V 3W is the same regardless of hub. There are 2.4W hubs available also so be aware of these.

From the product quality point of view, there are a host of options...
    Is there any site that I can see comparisons/ reviews, or is it just get what you pay for? Nexus DH-C3000 was the hub I was looking at...

I've this one for 18 months now in all kinds of weather: https://www.rosebikes.com/shimano-dh-3n80-hub-dynamo-221788

The 3n72 is the previous version I think, still available and slightly cheaper.

I have this one too: https://www.rosebikes.com/shimano-deore-xt-dh-t785-1d-disc-hub-dynamo-742791 but it's as yet unused and unbuilt so not sure whether or not I'll get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Is there any site that I can see comparisons/ reviews, or is it just get what you pay for? Nexus DH-C3000 was the hub I was looking at...

That's a solid-axle hub rather than quick release. As I understand it, both solid axle and quick release hubs fit the same frame so I'd go for quick release as the preferred option.

If you're not up to building a wheel yourself (actually a fun task), I'd suggest buying a pre-built wheel rather than a dynamo by itself.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If you're not up to building a wheel yourself (actually a fun task), I'd suggest buying a pre-built wheel rather than a dynamo by itself.
    Yeah, I was looking at wheels rather than just hubs. I'm kinda still in the which bike to commute on dilemma from the flamme rouge thread. Very tempted by that offer from rose, but than that means better bike rather than current lower cost commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Order from gearbest.com, cree 3000 lumen front light, 30 quid with shipping.

I have a 3000 and 6000 lumen, both are absolute beasts.

italodisco wrote: »

They are overkill for roads here. You know when you think a driver is being dangerous when they have the full headlights on into on coming traffic?

These are worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Weepsie wrote: »

They are overkill for roads here. You know when you think a driver is being dangerous when they have the full headlights on into on coming traffic?

These are worse.
    Agree if you are on roads get a road specific light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    recent purchase? any link to it? Suitable for dark roads at 26kph?
    Definitely suitable for dark roads at 26kph, you won't believe the light that comes from this for the price.....Here ya go https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HI48VKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely suitable for dark roads at 26kph, you won't believe the light that comes from this for the price.....Here ya go https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HI48VKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for that, I pushed the button last night on it...
    For that price, you can't really go wrong... and even if the beam is total ****e, it will still do me at low settings for the commute in the next few months.

They Blind other road users and also aren’t focusing on the road.
    I’d say that they offer poor lux compared to lumen

ted1 wrote: »
    They Blind other road users and also aren’t focusing on the road.
    I’d say that they offer poor lux compared to lumen

if they're not focusing on the road, where are they focusing? :rolleyes:
    Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Broad scatter beam usually directing a lot of light upward which blinds drivers. Fine for MTB as there is no one else out there a real PITA on road for drivers and other cyclists.

clod71 wrote: »
    if they're not focusing on the road, where are they focusing? :rolleyes:
    Genuine question.

Every where, so you have no better visibility than a light with 100 lumens that is focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

I went for the CatEye 800 which is a nice slim light but powerful. Replacement batteries can be purchased, but are not as easy to get hold of tbh.

They are about €80 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I use the lidl lights which have a car headlight beam, EUR12 with a poor back light.
    use them
    work grand for long trips like Clogher head to Stamullin at night, or Slane to Lusk

@Justwinginit I don't know how to thank you enough for your input. The light came yesterday and last night I went out on some back roads, in total darkness it was like riding at noon even at 40 km/h
    I still can't believe the amount of light is coming out of that...
    Given the price of it, I'm thinking of buying a second one... with a spare battery in the jersey pocket I think you could easily ride all night!!!

• Advertisement

clod71 wrote: »
    @Justwinginit I don't know how to thank you enough for your input. The light came yesterday and last night I went out on some back roads, in total darkness it was like riding at noon even at 40 km/h
    I still can't believe the amount of light is coming out of that...
    Given the price of it, I'm thinking of buying a second one... with a spare battery in the jersey pocket I think you could easily ride all night!!!

is the beam focused enough to prevent dazzling on comers?? Need to sort one out for myself asap

Advertisement