Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Recommendations (formerly Front Light For Dark Country) Road Commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I picked these up. Hopefully they're good, although I really fancy a set of the see sense lights

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B076PYZ63M

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

another question about hubs

Currently the only wheels I have are mavic aksiums - which are 622 x 17c... any of the wheels with dynanmo hubs seem to be 622 x 19c... I'm definitely not getting a new wheelset - would there be any real drawbacks from running two different wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Mc Love wrote: »
    I picked these up. Hopefully they're good, although I really fancy a set of the see sense lights

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B076PYZ63M

"100LM taillight"? That's horribly abusive to your fellow cyclists. You'd want to point that at the ground or you'll dazzle everybody behind you...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    "100LM taillight"? That's horribly abusive to your fellow cyclists. You'd want to point that at the ground or you'll dazzle everybody behind you...

It finally arrived this morning, will give it a charge and see what its like, but yeah I'll probably have to angle it towards the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Got this, this and this on Amazon recently. Absolute bargains. Super bright.

• Advertisement

Got this, this and this on Amazon recently. Absolute bargains. Super bright.

I was looking at those apace but decided to go for the ruby lite set and man they are bright!! That other light you got, jesus 1200 lumen on the front

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Mc Love wrote: »
    I was looking at those apace but decided to go for the ruby lite set and man they are bright!! That other light you got, 1200 lumen on the front

Tis savage alright. And that's without a battery pack. I have it pointed downwards as twud blind drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Nine years later, I'm wondering did the OP ever get a suitable front light for a dark country road commute.:confused:

Haha ... I did indeed. It was a MagicShine ... In fact packed in during the week - so I came back here to look for a replacement recommendation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm ready to commit to the dynamo set up. Have the lights and brackets picked from Rose, but preferring a wheel from Bike Discount ("better" hub/ lighter rim). As I'm splitting the order anyway, any other recommendations for sites that sell complete hub dynamo wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Can’t seem to find a thread on bike lights?

Anyone any recommendations for night spins / night commuting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This :
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/halfords-advanced-1600-lumen-front-bike-light-253334.html

1600 lumens, super bright when you need it.

Keep it in 250 when in the city and the battery will last fir a Long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Darc19 wrote: »
    But cyclists don't need lights especially when wearing dark clothing on dark nights.

Yaawwwnn

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ted1 wrote: »
    This :
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/halfords-advanced-1600-lumen-front-bike-light-253334.html

Have this and can recommend.

But cyclists don't need lights especially when wearing dark clothing on dark nights.

Hence no thread.

But fair play to you for being in the minority and wanting decent lights to keep yourself safe.

From a motorists point of view, the flickering lights are best as you know immediately that it is either a pedestrian or cyclist.

Not sure if it's something available, but having them built into a helmet would be a great idea. The moving head would give motorists an even clearer idea that it is a cyclist and prepare as necessary to slow down.

Correct... hi viz jackets protect cyclists from ALL danger ;)

Helmets are designed to crush/break in the event of an impact right? So putting a light in a helmet doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

From a motorists point of view, the flickering lights are best as you know immediately that it is either a pedestrian or cyclist.

Not sure if it's something available, but having them built into a helmet would be a great idea. The moving head would give motorists an even clearer idea that it is a cyclist and prepare as necessary to slow down.

Awful advice. A helmet attachment is what did the damage to Schumacher.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/unofficialnetworks.com/2018/10/09/michael-schumachers-brain-injury-said-to-be-caused-by-his-gopro-helmet-cam/amp/

Some countries have banned flickering lights. As it attracts drunk and tired drivers and gives poor depth perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Yaawwwnn

Yes, yawn yawn, but a significant number of cyclists don't use lights.

It's so frustrating for a motorist especially in badly lit areas.

And this 'yawn' attitude sort of explains it.

I'd be the motorist that has no problem waiting until it is very safe to overtake a cyclist, I don't have an issue with groups of cyclists either, or those who may take a little too much of the road.

But the number without lights at night is utterly ridiculous and they simply CANNOT be seen.

So yawn away, but maybe one day you will awaken from your yawning and notice the huge number of cyclists that don't use lights.

For the op, good lighting, especially rear lighting will keep you safe.

For the op, good lighting, especially rear lighting will keep you safe.

If only it was that simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

ted1 wrote: »
    This :

Are these available in Irish stores? Can only see a 1000 Lumen one listed on the .ie website?

ratracer wrote: »
    Are these available in Irish stores? Can only see a 1000 Lumen one listed on the .ie website?

Should be I got mine there. Ask on their chat tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yes, yawn yawn, but a significant number of cyclists don't use lights.

It's so frustrating for a motorist especially in badly lit areas.
    thank you for your input. don't post in this thread again, for two reasons - you're preaching to the converted, and your posting style runs foul of point 8 in the charter. we can't help with cyclists who don't use lights.
    any questions, PM me, do not respond in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

But the number without lights at night is utterly ridiculous and they simply CANNOT be seen.
    If a cyclist cycles down the road but nobody sees them, were they really there?

thank you for your input. don't post in this thread again, for two reasons - you're preaching to the converted, and your posting style runs foul of point 8 in the charter. we can't help with cyclists who don't use lights.
    any questions, PM me, do not respond in thread.

I'd suggest that some of the responses to that poster left a lot to be desired too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TheChizler wrote: »
    If a cyclist cycles down the road but nobody sees them, were they really there?
    folks, Darc19 can't post here again so please don't reply to him/her

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I got this https://www.brightbikelights.com/product/wiz-xp2-quality-mountain-bike-light/ about 2years ago. Great light.

And on the cheaper end of the scale I go one of these https://www.amazon.com.au/Bicycle-Headlight-Battery-Cycling-Flashlight/dp/B07SRQ8W3X for about €24 - also very good. I think I bought it from Gearbest or Geekbuying - (one of those anyway - can't remember_

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is/was the bike light thread. There are dozens and dozens of threads on lights, a cursory search brings them up. I'm going to merge and rename it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055705708&page=51

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Depends on the situation and finances. If you have theoney, dynamo with a shmidt edelux. Beautifully shaped light beams, always ready, no charging and we'll, for road riding, in my opinion, the gold standard. No dynamo but still have money, any of the Cateye Volt range. If money is a concern, the Aldi USB rechargeable set for just under 20euro are excellent. You can get really good lights for far cheaper than my first two options but very few have shaped light beams which is very important for on road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike-parts/bike-lights/battery-powered/headlights?brand%5B%5D=B+%2B+M&brand%5B%5D=Cateye

Any of the 80 lux or higher B&M options in list above. They work on AA rechargeable batteries, allowing you to keep lamp going when batteries eventually degrade.

Really nice light, works for 4 hrs plus on high setting.

I'm sure there are other options with German manufacturers also.

Using 1000+lumen mtb lights on a road is just acting the b0llix with other road users including other cyclists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/best-bike-lights/

A review of some front and rear lights.

Advertisement