Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Recommendations (formerly Front Light For Dark Country) Road Commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Lumen wrote: »
    I'll experiment with pairing with my Fenix TK11 or maybe sell that and use a second Ixon, fitted to point down a little.
    Potential buyer for the Fenix TK11 here.

You don't seem to be overly impressed with the Fenix. Why not? Apologies if you have already explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Potential buyer for the Fenix TK11 here.

You don't seem to be overly impressed with the Fenix. Why not? Apologies if you have already explained.

Short answer: because I'm never satisfied.

The Fenix is a good, practical torch, excellent if there's no oncoming traffic, certainly better built than the USE Joystick I bought last winter (and returned after water killed it).

I just can't be arsed dipping the thing when cars are coming, and in a perma-dipped position it doesn't light up the road very well.

I should probably just use a flasher whilst on busy lit roads, and the Fenix on quiet unlit roads, and deal with the dipping issue on the sections of trafficked, unlit roads, but I'd really just prefer a light with a bright, even spread and a horizontal cut-off that doesn't require any faffing, like a dipped car headlght, so I can just turn it on and ride my bike. The only light designed like that is the B&M Big Bang, but that's €600 and needs a €150 service every 1000 hours or so. If there was a LED-based version of that I'd be interested, but there isn't, and in the meantime I'll see how the Ixon IQ stacks up.

Lots of people are happy with the Fenix, so my opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt (as usual).

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

lads.
    2 most important things are batteries and no cables.

i have 2 fenix torches. the l2d and the ld20. ld20 has a better spot.
    both 180 lumens on turbo mode. the fit nicely with their hbar mounts.
    they are extremely well made waterproof and neat.
    2 hrs run time on max output.
    like someone else said tear open Velcro and use torch to fix your bike.

bought from
    www.thephotonshop.co.uk ( they were very helpful )

for road cycling they would be colossal. way bright enough at any speed.

they use 2 x aa rechargable batteries and a simple button click on at base of light.

AA rechargables are the way to go as they are plentiful, you'll have spares in your camera etc.etc. they are getting better in capacity all the time and chargers are everywhere. bring a few spares in your pocket and you have doubled your run time.

Dont forget that you will be throwing your lights into the wardrobe for 6 months of the year. lights that use any other type of proprietary battery will be an issue if you haven't kept the batteries charged on and off over summer time etc. thats pure hassle.

anything from 150 to 200 lumens is plenty on any road.

so with a weak sterling €50ish will have you up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Short answer: because I'm never satisfied.

The Fenix is a good, practical torch, excellent if there's no oncoming traffic, certainly better built than the USE Joystick I bought last winter (and returned after water killed it).

I just can't be arsed dipping the thing when cars are coming, and in a perma-dipped position it doesn't light up the road very well.

I should probably just use a flasher whilst on busy lit roads, and the Fenix on quiet unlit roads, and deal with the dipping issue on the sections of trafficked, unlit roads, but I'd really just prefer a light with a bright, even spread and a horizontal cut-off that doesn't require any faffing, like a dipped car headlght, so I can just turn it on and ride my bike. The only light designed like that is the B&M Big Bang, but that's €600 and needs a €150 service every 1000 hours or so. If there was a LED-based version of that I'd be interested, but there isn't, and in the meantime I'll see how the Ixon IQ stacks up.

Lots of people are happy with the Fenix, so my opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt (as usual).

Would it be possible to get rig a little reflective hood to sit around the end of the torch so it reflects more light downwards and away from motorist's eyes?

A thin piece of foil stuck to a plastic hood perhaps?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Would it be possible to get rig a little reflective hood to sit around the end of the torch so it reflects more light downwards and away from motorist's eyes?

A thin piece of foil stuck to a plastic hood perhaps?

Possibly. I tried taping over part of the lens on my 700-900 lumen torch, and discovered that I know absolutely nothing about optics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

200 lumen through the city center is not a problem. In fact, I've never been flashed at or complained to about a 200 lumen light on any road.

Gavin wrote: »
    200 lumen through the city center is not a problem. In fact, I've never been flashed at or complained to about a 200 lumen light on any road.

The centre spot of a TK10 illuminates about 14.5 lux at 25m (225 lumens in turbo mode).

Apparently the minimum illuminance for the high beam of a car headlamp is somewhere between 32 and 48 lux at 25m, depending on which set of regulations you look at.

Given that eye response to brightness is logarithmic, a TK10 on turbo probably looks about 70% as bright as a car headlight on high beam. Which is why it should be pointed down a bit in traffic.

I really ought to buy a light meter ride my bike more. :)

The centre spot of a TK10 illuminates about 14.5 lux at 25m (225 lumens in turbo mode).

Apparently the minimum illuminance for the high beam of a car headlamp is somewhere between 32 and 48 lux at 25m, depending on which set of regulations you look at.

Given that eye response to brightness is logarithmic, a TK10 on turbo probably looks about 70% as bright as a car headlight on high beam. Which is why it should be pointed down a bit in traffic.

I really ought to buy a light meter ride my bike more. :)

lux my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

My light arrived today so just thought I'd throw up a few shots to give an idea of it's size. For comparison I've left my Led Lenser P7 on the bike.
    Build quality is seems quite good,mounting system is a simple rubber O ring,which you get two of,one large and one small.No instructions but you don't really need any.
    Charger has flat two pin plug so adaptor thingy needed.
    (Cheers for the offer Blorg but I found one lying around.;))

The battery pack again is quite small so mounting it under a stem on hanging from the top tube should be fine so it won't get in the way. Not too sure about the velcro being enough to hold it secure so I'll probably use a cable tie just for piece of mind.
    The length of power lead on the light unit 18 inches and 10 inches on the battery pack.
    It's still bright out so pointless taking any beam shots just yet.
    Light has 3 modes,high,low and fast strobe.

th_IMG_0264.jpg

th_IMG_0262.jpg

th_IMG_0250.jpg

th_IMG_0242-1.jpg

th_IMG_0241.jpg

th_IMG_0240.jpg

th_IMG_0270.jpg

th_IMG_0269.jpg

th_IMG_0268.jpg

(sorry I couldn't get pics going across screen)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thanks for that taxman - let us know what it's like in the dark! Ordered mine from dealextreme last monday - and the thing hasn't even begun to ship from hong kong!

• Advertisement

Right so,headed out for a few shots of this light in action. First thing to say is that you can ride at a fair aul lick with it in either mode. Even in low mode it lights up more than enough road in front of you. I had it the pointed slightly downwards,like you would for road use and it's throws a nice wide beam with a sweet spot about 2/3 metres in front of your wheel. You'll certainly see anything on the road that would cause you concern. In high mode....well it just turns things into daylight.

I must apologise for my crap photography skills. Nothing like the polished pictures that Superfreak offered on his review of the Hope lights.
    Didn't use a tripod and it's cold out so pics a bit shaky.
    All shots where 8 second exposure at F2.8(whatever that means)...

Led Lenser P7 rated @200 lumens

Led Lenser on flood (high)
    th_IMG_0280.jpg th_IMG_0285.jpg<---(high) th_IMG_0286.jpg <---(low)

Led Lenser on spot(high)
    th_IMG_0281.jpg

Magicshine (high)
    th_IMG_0278.jpg th_IMG_0283.jpg

Magicshine (low)
    th_IMG_0279.jpg th_IMG_0284.jpg

If anyone with better photography skills(wouldn't be hard) wants to do a comparison test between lights let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Looks good Taxman,

How long did it take from ordering to delivery? I was very tempted to get one of these (I might still get one), but I have heard that if they are out of stock it can take ages for delivery.

Kieran

I ordered mine on the 18th sept through eBay and it only arrived today.:eek:
    Seller did say delivery would take 10-14 days so I knew I was in for a wait.

That MagicShine looks awesome for the money.

Looks like it takes 4 x 18650, running at 8.4V which would indicate two parallel sets of two in series (i.e. twice the runtime and twice the power of a single cell).

I have a 900 lumen torch which uses the same emitter, but it's pretty much useless for cycling due to the weight of the thing - it's too heavy for a lockblock - and the tail mounted clicky which makes it cut out on anything but a mirror-smooth road. The MagicShine wouldn't have this issue because the tail clicky is in the head unit away from the batteries.

I'd be interested to see how much glare this produces for oncoming traffic, but at that price I'm tempted to get one to pair with my Ixon IQ, and use it as a full beam for when the road is clear.

I feel a boardsie lights group test coming on....

edit: is the battery pack on that MagicShine just plastic wrapped around the 18650s? In other words, no electrical connections so you could replace the pack with four fresh cells duct taped together.

edit: is the battery pack on that MagicShine just plastic wrapped around the 18650s? In other words, no electrical connections so you could replace the pack with four fresh cells duct taped together.

The battery pack is four batteries wrapped in heat shrink plastic. You then have the power lead coming from it. I think I read somewhere about a small circuit board in there re:charging protection. Couldn't be 100% sure about that.

Plenty of reading from the light DIY'ers. It's by no means perfect but a good light to tweek and mod maybe.

Great stuff ! Ordered one the other day too. This on the bars, a p7 torch on the forks and mce on the helmet will be ludicrously enough light for night mtb action

I think you were a bit unlucky with your p7 lumen, or perhaps I was lucky. No issues with mode changing from vibrations on or off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on! Reviews seem to be very good!

Keith_d99. Just thought I'd let you know how i got on. The light e arrived from CRC, but the battery wouldn't charge!. SO I had to return them and I recieved a replacement set last thursday. Yesterday was the first night i got to use them and i had to say i'm quite impressed with them. I have the 5watt lamp pointed directly at the ground in front of the front wheel for lighting up potholes etc. I have the 10watt lamp pointing further ahead and it really gives a good light "spread". Its good enough to light up the hedges on both sides of the road.

Considering they cost €70, i think there pretty good. I'd have no problem recommending them. Cheers

Note to potential MagicShine buyers...

According to this thread
    Geoman wrote:
    the 3 mode system is an old model... We've been shipping the 5 mode system for a couple of months now. The 5 mode model has employed many of our suggested critical improvements including more liberal use of thermal paste (most 3 mode models had none), better cleanup and assembly - cleaner soldering and removal of production swarf, some electronics improvements, a more reliable charger, differing cord length, etc.

I can't find the 5-mode on DX, but it is on Geoman's site here.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

ajk24 wrote: »
    just back from a spin from cork city out into the countryside (crossbarry) and back by way of south link ring road - the ayup lights are savage. 2 independently adjustable leds - better than most cars dipped beams, even
    had a pedestrian comment "those are an awesome set of lights" (it was a yank) as I pulled back into carpark at work.

they are reviewed on bike radar at the moment as well
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/roadie-kit-32400

will def be ordering - if anyone wants to get one there is a decent saving to be made on postage for a group order. :D

If there is anyone looking for a set of the Ay Up's I have an un-used MTB kit that im gonna sell. I ordered them a couple of weeks back, they just arrived last week and im not sure that the mounting arrangement of the rear light is going to suit me. Looking for €300, they cost €350 excluding import duty so there is a saving of €100. Both lights are anodised black and the whole set up comes in a presentation case. More details in link below:

http://www.ayup-lights.com/systems/lighting-systems/v4-adventure/

I'll take I look at those Mr.Skeffington,if no one else has asked before me.

When is handy for you?

edit: ignore edit:o

• Advertisement

Hi Taxman, yep pop over and take a look, im around tonight if thats good for you.

This is the MTB / V4 Adventure Kit, has 2 lights (one bar & one helmet). The helmet light doubles up as a rear light and both light have full beam, low beam and flashing modes. Kit comes with 3 batteries and a heap of other kit, it is a really nice set up.

Cool,I'm still over in the office so I could call over around 6.45. OK with you?

Thats cool, drop over then and we can play around with these lights ;-)

Just got the Magicshine - will be using on the way home.
    Build quality looks impressive.

Anybody know how you know when the battery is fully charged???
    Also where do ye mount the battery pack, handlebar, stem, crossbar?

Cheers,
    Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sibyrne

I have the Niterider Minewt mini usb. Think its a great light

+1 for the MagicShine - good build quality - fits very well and light is excellent. I noticed that oncoming cars didn't know what to make of the bright light (on full on unlit country round) - cars seemed to slow and pull to the side slightly! Felt much safer. Oh and finally cycle at full speed knowing that I could actually see where I was going?! Excellent beam off the little light.

Great find for €55 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You probably do need to be careful with that, lights that bright can tend to dazzle oncoming motorists. Probably best dip it once you are sure they have seen you (e.g. when they dip their lights.) If it were possible to switch to a lower mode easily but not sure this is the case so probably just need to push it down a bit.

I do this with my Fenix on full which is less bright than that thing. Just tip it down when oncoming traffic has dipped until the road is clear again.

Well slight exaggeration on my part - it was 1 car - but yeah will keep an eye on it.

It's 1 click to get down to a lower beam - but another 3 to get back to full. One great thing was that cars instantly dipped their beams (as opposed to my cheapy led) - nothing worse than full car beams in your face - you are blinded and literally cannot see where you are going!
    blorg wrote: »
    You probably do need to be careful with that, lights that bright can tend to dazzle oncoming motorists. Probably best dip it once you are sure they have seen you (e.g. when they dip their lights.) If it were possible to switch to a lower mode easily but not sure this is the case so probably just need to push it down a bit.

I do this with my Fenix on full which is less bright than that thing. Just tip it down when oncoming traffic has dipped until the road is clear again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭BikePure

My light arrived today

@The tax man: I'm thinking about ordering a MagicShine too! I have the following question for you though, no definite answer in the last thread so I thought I would ask someone who knows what they are talking about! Also, can you buy spare battery packs if needed, or can uou just bring along 4x18650s and pop them in when necessary or is it all a sealed battery pack? I would like the safety of a back-up pack/batteries "just in case" and Geoman do a racer's special with a spare battery included!
    BikePure wrote: »
    Does the Magicshine include the battery pack and mounting accesories? All it says is that it is powered by a separate rechargeable battery pack (4 x 18650 lithium batteries inside) and that there is a 100V~240V AC charger (US plug) and pouch included. Are the batteries/battery pack as well as handlebar mounts all extra and need to be purchased separately? And has anyone got caught for Import Duties and VAT when buying it off DealExtreme?

• Advertisement

The battery pack pictured in the Geoman link is the exact battery pack I have. It's sealed so bringing along spare 18650s isn't a runner. My light (from ebay) had the standard items included,light,battery pack+pouch,2x rubber O rings for attaching light to bike and charger which works here perfectly. It's a U.S style flat 2 pin plug so an adaptor will be needed.
    Mine came from Hong Kong via a UK seller that claimed none of his customers had been caught for import tax,which was true in my case.

Geoman seems to be the only seller offering extras with this light,helmet mount and extra battery and of course the 5 modes. Can't offer any advice on customs from the US, I'm sure someone here will though.

Advertisement