Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Recommendations (formerly Front Light For Dark Country) Road Commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

my charger for batteries that go with the TK11 came with these bad boys...

96575.jpg

Are they so that one can fit smaller batteries into the charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

hawkwing wrote: »
    In the darker areas of the Phoenix Park 50-60% of drivers don't seem too worried about dazzling runners and cyclists with full lights on:confused:
    That is something a bright bike light sorts out pretty sharpish, most drivers I come across will now dip their lights. I then dip mine.
    Raam wrote: »
    Are they so that one can fit smaller batteries into the charger?
    Yes. Older versions used to come with the suggestion to use a paperclip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Ordered a MagicShine just there. Almost 100% sure its close to 900lumen model and DE 1000 mA thing is a typo. Looks great too - perfect ;). Hopefully will be delivered before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Well done, I saw your questions in the "current and lumen output" thread below the item description. I am hoping for the same thing as you, delivery before Christmas and not to be caught by customs.

I just got an email from DX (well about 9 hours ago at 02:06 of 22/11/09) to say that my order for the 5 mode MagicShine has been shipped. It actually shows it was shipped at 23:50 of 19/11/09 but I think that is local time (Hong Kong time which is 8 hours ahead) so it was shipped Irish time at around 15:50 on Friday.

Not bad really, 5 days from the time of making the order to shipment and as I said already my previous orders from DX for batteries and chargers took between 1.5 - 2 weeks. So, it looks like we are right on track for delivery before Christmas. I just hope 72hundred hasn't missed the boat on this shipment since you only made your order with them yesterday.

@ blorg, any news on your order? I presume it would be at about roughly the same stage in the order process is it?

• Advertisement

I just got an email from DX (well about 9 hours ago at 02:06 of 22/11/09) to say that my order for the 5 mode MagicShine has been shipped. It actually shows it was shipped at 23:50 of 19/11/09 but I think that is local time (Hong Kong time which is 8 hours ahead) so it was shipped Irish time at around 15:50 on Friday.

Not bad really, 5 days from the time of making the order to shipment and as I said already my previous orders from DX for batteries and chargers took between 1.5 - 2 weeks. So, it looks like we are right on track for delivery before Christmas. I just hope 72hundred hasn't missed the boat on this shipment since you only made your order with them yesterday.

@ blorg, any news on your order? I presume it would be at about roughly the same stage in the order process is it?

That's great news. So its roughly 5 working days from order to time of postage locally, and then another 7 working days for postage to arrive in Ireland. So my order of the yesterday should ship locally on the 27th Nov and arrive in Ireland on 8/9th Dec - hopefully anyways!

I just came across some nice pictures (see below) and two very good reviews on the MagicShine bike light for anyone who might be interested. I would advise that anyone on the fence about making the decision to take a read as it really is well worth it! Neither are very long, but as usual on the boards.ie cycling forum, the idea is to get you to buy it! Spending money is what it is all about here at 410!!!
    • Here is the first one, which contains a great review and pictures, including a comparison with a $500 Lupine system.
    • Here is the second one, which contains a good review but strangely enough also a comparison with the Lupine Tesla.
    Also, I'm not sure if anyone knows about this yet but I came across the 5 mode MagicShine for sale on thesingletrackstore.com for some really great prices. In between DX and GeoMan, but there is really very little in it. I'm not sure, but if I hadn't already bought my one I'd say I would be going with this crowd as they ship to Ireland at a very reasonable rate and all the spares/accessories you could possibly need are available there too. Good to see it being sold in a few places now, although I doubt a bit of competition will be able to lower the prices any more! It is already ridiculously good value! :D

Best of luck guys, and happy night riding!
    PA110799-500x500.jpg
    PA110801-500x500.jpg
    PA110844-500x500.jpg
    PA110841-500x500.jpg

Edit: @ 72hundred...all going well that would be the case but I don't think DealExtreme are that predictable or follow a schedule as such. However, I would be fairly confident that you will receive it before Christmas. Also, if your order hasn't yet been processed you might want to have a look at the link I posted up above...some very good prices and I'm sure a bit more reliable and quicker than DealExtreme. You also have the option of throwing in a spare battery or anything like that if you think you might need it!

Edit: @ 72hundred...all going well that would be the case but I don't think DealExtreme are that predictable or follow a schedule as such. However, I would be fairly confident that you will receive it before Christmas. Also, if your order hasn't yet been processed you might want to have a look at the link I posted up above...some very good prices and I'm sure a bit more reliable and quicker than DealExtreme. You also have the option of throwing in a spare battery or anything like that if you think you might need it!

I think I'll stick with DE, should be fine. Thanks for the pic's - very interesting. The kit is actually pretty small, hope over heating bulbs won't be any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Howdy,

Newbie here, still setting up my Defy 3.5. Been scouring your posts and have received some excellent info and tips. Thanks for all your unwitting help. I'm finally ready to come out of the shadows and actually contribute something, but if my ignorance shows me up please be kind!!
    I ordered the Magicshine from DX on November 13th and it only changed status today from Waiting for Supplier to Order in Stock, after a number of emails to the customer desk. Therefore I wouldn't hold breath for delivery before Christmas, but I live in hope.
    Home: Ballyhoura. SingleTrack only deliver to US & Canada. :(

PS. What's the Cateye EL530 like?

• Advertisement

shergar22 wrote: »
    Home: Ballyhoura. SingleTrack only deliver to US & Canada. :(
    I ordered the Magicshine from DX on November 13th and it only changed status today from Waiting for Supplier to Order in Stock
    OK sorry, just saw that notice there on their home page! Pity really, and I thought that because they allowed you to put in Ireland as your address and proceed as far as the "Confirm Order" page that you would be allowed. I guess not!

Did you order the same 5 mode MagicShine from DealExtreme as us? As in SKU.30863? Or was it one of the 3 mode versions you ordered? It would be interesting to know (and also about blorgs one) as we ordered the day after you and I'm just wondering did I get lucky!
    shergar22 wrote: »
    PS. What's the Cateye EL530 like?
    Its bigger than a MagicShine, around the same price but I would say it wouldn't be a patch on it brightness wise. Just a guess, but I'd be fairly confident it is true! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, it's probably still a very bright light...and a lot brighter than the average light especially those running on "normal" batteries. The Wiggle description is interesting:
    The EL-500 was the brightest normal battery front LED by a mile, but harnessing the very latest LED technology, Cateye's new EL-530 surpasses this by 50% with no price increase!!!
    ....but just look at the Wiggle product picture of it up on the bars, it looks huge and heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I still haven't gotten around to ordering my winter commuting light. I am slightly tempted by this Crop NRX 30 3W Headlight from Planet-X.

I think this might turn into a lights arms race soon! With us all getting proper high powered lights we're desensitizing the drivers and newer brighter lights will be needed each winter! Muhahaha :rolleyes:

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I still haven't gotten around to ordering my winter commuting light. I am slightly tempted by this Crop NRX 30 3W Headlight from Planet-X.

Can I ask what makes that more appealing to you than something like the MagicShine? I'm not saying anything against it, just wondering! Cheers ;)

Can I ask what makes that more appealing to you than something like the MagicShine? I'm not saying anything against it, just wondering! Cheers ;)

Nothing really, just the convenience of ordering from Planet-X and hopefully having it pretty soon. Going back through the thread it seems that they might take a bit too long to get here.

I was all set to get the L2D, then I liked the look of the Hope Vision 1, but CRC are out of stock.

Did you get the magicshine H:B?

No, not yet but it has been shipped! See here for more details...cheers :)

Well, I just went ahead and got the TK11. I'm only looking at a decent light for commuting around town. While the magicshine does look like an excellent floodlight, I really just wanted a solid upgrade from my crappy cateye.

Be sure and post up some more information and pictures when you get it dude (Tax man's were good, but jerky :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

Received the Hope vision one from CRC on Friday, albeit the headset version.

Got the normal handle bar mount Hope Vision One also from here.

Activesport charge £12 delivery outside UK, can confirm with them first or they will send mail requesting it later, easiest payment method is CC or Paypal.

Got it in a few days, all good.

Did you order the same 5 mode MagicShine from DealExtreme as us? As in SKU.30863? Or was it one of the 3 mode versions you ordered? It would be interesting to know (and also about blorgs one) as we ordered the day after you and I'm just wondering did I get lucky!

Nah, I ordered the 3 mode. A little bit gutted, as the 5 mode must have come in practically the minute after I clicked the Buy button. Not really sure what kind of system those guys operate in terms of processing orders though.

I looked at the Cateye on the Velomania Beamshots Comparison website. Not overly impressed and some of the reviews seem to back this up. I'll be cycling on unlit roads, so think I'll hang around for the Magicshine and blind all oncomers.

Just a thought, if all the Magicshine owners in Ireland got together and turned on their lights, would it make the rain go away?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I ordered the 5 mode, it was shipped yesterday.

@DirkVoodoo- if you were only going to have one light I reckon a TK11 is a better bet than a Magicshine.

• Advertisement

So I used the Fenix TK11 last night. A very good light. Only thing, the mount that goes with it is rubbish. It's not rigid enough so on rough surface the light shakes around. My L&M Vega has a very sturdy mount and is rock solid.

Any suggestions for an alternative mount?
    For now I have jury-rigged something with other light mounts, but it is not ideal.

So I used the Fenix TK11 last night. A very good light. Only thing, the mount that goes with it is rubbish. It's not rigid enough so on rough surface the light shakes around. My L&M Vega has a very sturdy mount and is rock solid.

Any suggestions for an alternative mount?
    For now I have jury-rigged something with other light mounts, but it is not ideal.

I find that very rigid mounts are more likely to suffer from cracks in the plastic. Happened with a lock that I have, albeit that's a lot heavier.

For a solution; I'd try really tightening down on the Velcro straps and then maybe attaching cable ties over this. Personally I've found if the Velcro is tight enough there's no problem, unless they've changed their product.

72hundred wrote: »
    I find that very rigid mounts are more likely to suffer from cracks in the plastic. Happened with a lock that I have, albeit that's a lot heavier.

For a solution; I'd try really tightening down on the Velcro straps and then maybe attaching cable ties over this. Personally I've found if the Velcro is tight enough there's no problem, unless they've changed their product.

Cable ties mean I can't easily take it on/off. Maybe I have a different mount than you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

n-dawg wrote: »
    I...

Is there actually a limit on how bright a bike light can be???

If there is, what is it?

If I was on a country road I would be courteous to drivers and put my hand in front of my light when they get close, but in the city anything that helps cars see me is fair game right?

I notice on my lights there was a warning that the flashing mode wasn't legal.

Anyone know whats that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

hawkwing wrote: »
    In the darker areas of the Phoenix Park 50-60% of drivers don't seem too worried about dazzling runners and cyclists with full lights on:confused:

As a cyclist and a driver who uses the phoenix park. Can I suggest from experience, thats because cars can't see deer in the trees before they run out, unless you put full beams on where possible. Not to mention the cyclists and runners/walkers with no lights and dressed in dark clothes.

One of the reasons I got a brighter light for my bicycle was because of a few near misses in the park with ninja cyclists and runners. I'm pretty slow, and even then they just appear from nowhere.

BostonB wrote: »
    I notice on my lights there was a warning that the flashing mode wasn't legal.

Anyone know whats that about?

I think that refers to the British standard. I'm not aware of the same standards for Ireland. I find that a flashing mode though its hard for drivers to judge distance at night.

rflynnr wrote: »
    Came across this when ordering this.

rflynnr, thank you very much for posting that. I ordered the helmet lights and they arrived last week. I stuck them on the helmet and they are quite discrete in form. One of the wires to one of the lights was a little loose so the LED wasn't lighting, but some blu-tack sorted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BostonB wrote: »
    As a cyclist and a driver who uses the phoenix park. Can I suggest from experience, thats because cars can't see deer in the trees before they run out, unless you put full beams on where possible.

I've never needed full beams when driving through the park. The speed limit is very low, stopping isn't a problem.

Besides, I have a wheel wrench in the boot and venison is tasty (not sure about jogger roadkill though).

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

rflynnr, thank you very much for posting that. I ordered the helmet lights and they arrived last week. I stuck them on the helmet and they are quite discrete in form. One of the wires to one of the lights was a little loose so the LED wasn't lighting, but some blu-tack sorted that.

You're more than welcome.

• Advertisement

Not true actually! Sorry...when I got this email and checked the tracking number it didn't work! I just checked it again there and:
    Destination - Ireland

The item (****) was posted on 23-Nov-2009 and is being processed for delivery to the addressee.

So it looks to me like it was more like Monday when it was posted but I don't really mind to be honest, I'm in no real rush for it! Order tracking is actually nice to have especially when you consider they don't charge anything for shipping! :)

Advertisement