Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Recommendations (formerly Front Light For Dark Country) Road Commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Not true actually! Sorry...when I got this email and checked the tracking number it didn't work! I just checked it again there and:

So it looks to me like it was more like Monday when it was posted but I don't really mind to be honest, I'm in no real rush for it! Order tracking is actually nice to have especially when you consider they don't charge anything for shipping! :)
    They're taking the p!ss with me. My order was being packaged and is now changed back to 'processing-contact us for updates'.

Getting mightly p!ssed off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

quick question
    im aware u can get a light that works off a dynamo,but they have come on in the last 20 years i guess, can somebody explain to me how they work/fit now. sorry for the ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

theduke1 wrote: »
    quick question
    im aware u can get a light that works off a dynamo,but they have come on in the last 20 years i guess, can somebody explain to me how they work/fit now. sorry for the ignorance

Yes, they have come on. They're not cheap though, at least if you go down the dynamo hub route (which I probably would, if I was going to bother).

Have a search for previous discussions of this, e.g. here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lumen wrote: »
    I've never needed full beams when driving through the park. The speed limit is very low, stopping isn't a problem.

Usually no. But on a bad night or on Fuze road, when its unlit, its handy. Also some cars have better lights than other cars, so not all need full beams. One of our cars is fine, the other isn't great on low beam. Older car I guess. Another car we used to have, had small spotlights angled outwards and was fantastic for seeing the side of the road, and into the trees in the park without main beam.
    Lumen wrote: »
    Besides, I have a wheel wrench in the boot and venison is tasty (not sure about jogger roadkill though).

I'll take your word for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

theduke1 wrote: »
    quick question

Might be better starting a new thread on that. Some info here. I know nothing about them.
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Well, my Fenix TK11 arrived today, very impressive and sturdy light.

However, the adjustable mount is not as impressive. It won't fit on my 31.8mm bars, which are a pretty standard size on modern road bikes. From the website:
    The adjustable grips accomodate various torch and handlebar dimensions for maximum versatility

I don't think so, I couldn't even get the screws close to the removable clamp.

Does the lockblock mount fit 31.8mm bars? I'm pretty annoyed that they use such vague terms instead of "fits x and y diameter handlebars".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Well, my Fenix TK11 arrived today, very impressive and sturdy light.

However, the adjustable mount is not as impressive. It won't fit on my 31.8mm bars, which are a pretty standard size on modern road bikes. From the website:

I don't think so, I couldn't even get the screws close to the removable clamp.

Does the lockblock mount fit 31.8mm bars? I'm pretty annoyed that they use such vague terms instead of "fits x and y diameter handlebars".

Huh that's funny. Yea the lock block defo fits, works well too. Although I think Raam recently that was having some trouble with vibrations - I've never found this when its applied tightly enough

EDIT: I'd email them looking for a reduction in the lock block price, as it'll cost you more to order it separately. Given that it was their fault that you can't use the current one.

72hundred wrote: »
    EDIT: I'd email them looking for a reduction in the lock block price, as it'll cost you more to order it separately. Given that it was their fault that you can't use the current one.

Probably as much my fault, assumptions being the mother of all f**k ups and all that. Just a proper description would help.

I should have gone with the lockblock to start with, I think that's the one Gavin recommended for the L2D.

Bugger, Bugger and Double Bugger. DX finally got back to me today to inform me (two weeks later) that the 3 Mode Magicshine was out of stock, but that they hadn't managed to update the website to inform anybody of this. :mad:

Screw that. Got in touch with Geomangear in the US and they told me that I'd have it in 10 days. Cancelled DX and ordered the 5-Mode from Geoman.

Price is the same, but it's an extra 20 quid for postage. I'll bite it, because I just want the bloody thing now.

BTW Ballyhoura, the Geomangear website shows the 5 Mode as having the 2,400 mA output, not 1,000. Spotted you asking the same question on the DX forums.

Just got the shipping email from DE. Yippee bright lights for the new year! Also great result as croker!

EDIT: Although going by other experience it probably won't ship till Monday. Ah well no worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

magic shine arrived this morning :D

very neat kit

ordered 27/10

shipped 13/11

arrived 04/12

i think it came on a camel via the silk route put on a container to australia air freighted back to america, pony express from LA to NY then put on a rowing boat across the atlantic, but at least i have it :D

oh and it didnt get caught in customs

magic shine arrived this morning :D

very neat kit

ordered 27/10

shipped 13/11

arrived 04/12

i think it came on a camel via the silk route put on a container to australia air freighted back to america, pony express from LA to NY then put on a rowing boat across the atlantic, but at least i have it :D

oh and it didnt get caught in customs

Is that the 5-mode from DE?

72hundred wrote: »
    Is that the 5-mode from DE?

nope its a 3 mode (the 5 mode wasnt available when i ordered)

Don't be shy when you go out tonight. Dazzle someone! You might give us a report back on how you found it.

Ballyhoura, Blorg: Any sign of your Magicshines yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

shergar22 wrote: »
    No sign yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

shergar22 wrote: »

Nothing to report yet, I was hoping to get it sometime next week if I was lucky but judging from edwinirelands post on delivery times I would say it will be a bit after that!

Nothing to report yet, I was hoping to get it sometime next week if I was lucky but judging from edwinirelands post on delivery times I would say it will be a bit after that!

Wahey! Got my Magicshine from Geomangear today!! Ordered it on the 27th November and it arrived today. Arrived fully charged too, which was great as it came with an American two prong plug. Luckily I had a travel plug converter thingy.

Just about burned the eyes off the missus when I plugged it in as it was already switched on. Will report after cycle tomorrow evening.:D

According to the HKPost tracking system although it was shipped over a week ago it is supposedly still in Hong Kong awaiting something or other.

blorg wrote: »
    According to the HKPost tracking system although it was shipped over a week ago it is supposedly still in Hong Kong awaiting something or other.

Just checked mine there, it says it left Hong Kong for its destination on the 7th of December (Monday). Right on time to arrive during the period of Chrismas shopping and the increased customs activity, brilliant! :D

• Advertisement

Outward Registered Letter
    Destination - Ireland
    The item (RB*********HK) was posted on 30-Nov-2009.

To make further enquiry of this item, please complete the Online Enquiry Form or send the item number; the details of sender; addressee and contact information by fax to Mail Tracing Office. Our fax no. is (852) 2868 4723. Online tracking information on the delivery status of registered mail/parcels sent overseas is available for selective destinations. You can connect to the mail tracking website of the destinations below directly. For destinations not on the list, tracking information is only available up to departure from Hong Kong.

That's all I get when I check the website... fairly cryptic.

I get
    Outward Registered Letter

Destination - Ireland
    The item (RT...HK) is being processed for departure from Hong Kong as of 5-Dec-2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

Anywhere in Dunlin sell this?

BTW magicshine (3 mode) great light makes might night rider ultafazer max look like a complete wimp (did take some photos but was rushing and made a mess of them) it basically lights up my side of the road and enough distance not to need to slow down on down hills :D

also havent had muc problem with people not dippng there headlights either (ad it hasnt broken after a week either

I'm still waiting for my battery and charger from dealextreme, ordered on November 24th, "shipped" on the 25th and yet the tracking number still lists it as waiting in HK.

EDIT: Exact same message as you blorg. What gives??

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for my battery and charger from dealextreme, ordered on November 24th, "shipped" on the 25th and yet the tracking number still lists it as waiting in HK.

EDIT: Exact same message as you blorg. What gives??

Thanks to An Post Saturday Christmas deliveries, my batteries & charger arrived this morning from DX, ordered on Nov 23rd. Got the Fenix TK11 R2 from fenixtorch.co.uk weeks ago, ordered on same day.

You guys should expect deliveries soon.

Great light, thanks everyone for the recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

jimm wrote: »
    Thanks to An Post Saturday Christmas deliveries, my batteries & charger arrived this morning from DX, ordered on Nov 23rd. Got the Fenix TK11 R2 from fenixtorch.co.uk weeks ago, ordered on same day.
    That sounds about right, on the site it says it takes 12-17 days.

Bad news, got a letter off the revenue today. :mad: Not good at all, they say that they are holding a package belonging to me (my MagicShine) which was exported from Hong Kong. I have to email them on an invoice/PayPal receipt for them to work out how much I am to pay them within 14 days. It says the postman will collect the necessary charges in cash or bankdraft/postal order which are: Customs Duty (where applicable), 21.5% VAT and a post office handling fee of €6. So how much can I expect to pay considering it cost €56.68, I'm not sure which order you calculate the fees and if Customs Duty is applicable or not. Is it? :( It will be interesting to see if blorg gets caught, I hope not. Although at this time of year, coming up to Christmas and the sate of the economy I'm sure they are really clamping down on things linke this. I've only ever ordered stuff from outside the EU and both times I've got caught, so much for it being a rare random selection. I feel like they are picking on me for some reason. Would it have anything to do with my address keeps popping up from all the orders I make from CRC, Wiggle, PBK, eBay etc? I'm not sure if it would.

You're from Limerick, they're probably thinking you are ordering small arms from Hong Kong.

• Advertisement

CRC, Wiggle, PBK are all within the EU and so there is no issue.

It's probably a combination of (1) Christmas and (2) that they sent it registered/tracked. I have made several other orders from DX (not tracked) and none were intercepted. Probably mostly Christmas though as others got them fine.

If you have to pay you are looking at around another €20 all in so it's not the end of the world.

Duty on bicycle lights is 2.7%, quite low.

So $82.43=€56.39, + 2.7% duty=57.91 + 21.5% VAT=70.36+€6 An Post Fee= €76.36. €20 extra roughly.

Advertisement