Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychological relationship between political leadership and the recession???

Options
  • 09-10-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

I'm just throwing this out there, I hope it makes sense... I remember studying a subject called industrial psychology years ago as part of a management degree and one of the modules dealt with leadership.

Basically the theory was that without effective leadership in the workplace, serious morale issues can emerge, but often in an under the radar kind of a way. Like for example, without effective and meaningful leadership, often people will fall into a place psychologically where they will individually and collectively start pulling in the opposite direction from the basic aims of the organisation that is their employment.

There is a considerable body of scientific study that has been done to prove the link between leadership in the workplace and morale in the workplace, for example the Hawthorne experiments, etc.

I'm just wondering if the theory of what has been well proven in terms of workplace leadership and its clear relationship with workplacemorale and subsequently workplace performance, can be transposed onto a national level, and would the arguably extremely poor standard of political leadership at the moment possibly be a cause for the national morale problem and could this in turn be a significant contributory factor with regard to the serious and worsening recession we appear to be in???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Good poist, but because the Lisbon Treaty passed, we see the majority of our people actually trust a mediocre government

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Economics is an exercise in group psychology.

A recession comes into existence when people think one does, because they panic and stop spending etc.

There'd definitely be an effect. A new government without doing anything might inspire confidence in people who'd start spending again and thus pick things up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I think I get what your trying to communicate - and I agree with you.

Our nation has been basically floundering from day to day, month to month dealing with one crises after another - but in a complacent, "Aa well, it only to be expected" type of mood. We have been rolling along with (understandably) a nation of people who are tired, stressed and worried.

We need to be energised again, to be able to see or hope for a time/vision that is worth it all.
    A strong leadership which might evoke that hope/dream/aspiration could add contributing factors to the nations revival as a better working unit.
    So far, we have had more of the same old, same old tiresome dragged out leadership.

...I hope my waffling above make sense to others. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,423 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Economics is an exercise in group psychology.

A recession comes into existence when people think one does, because they panic and stop spending etc.

There'd definitely be an effect. A new government without doing anything might inspire confidence in people who'd start spending again and thus pick things up.

rubbish:D group psyhology maybe involved in the preceding boom, the crash comes when the mal investment comes to light. Are you suugesting that if enough happy drugs were put in the water supply that the problems would go away?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

silverharp wrote: »
    rubbish:D group psyhology maybe involved in the preceding boom, the crash comes when the mal investment comes to light. Are you suugesting that if enough happy drugs were put in the water supply that the problems would go away?

Not really.

But if people started spending again it would generate economic growth.

What causes them to spend can be confidence. Note: can, not will always 100% of the time be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,423 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Not really.

But if people started spending again it would generate economic growth.

What causes them to spend can be confidence. Note: can, not will always 100% of the time be.

So would burning down your house, its the wrong question though. A dole officer in Dublin and flight crew in Air Lingus probably have different risk preferences at this point, to suggest that people should spend or be encouraged to spend is putting the cart before the horse.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement