Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just how deluded is Bertie ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The little bollix is 4/1 with Paddy Power to be the next president! I guess I'll be taking my place on the grassy knoll with the rest of you - bags I have first shot. :D
    mind if i go second??????

what odds is he givin for his mates giving him another dig-out when the book flops by buying them all up???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

if bertie ahearn is elected president i will leave this country and never come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

He knocked on my door when canvassing for his brother the last time out. I opened the door, somewhat surprised to see him and pretty much dumbfounded with murderous rage.

He thrust his hand towards me and all I could manage was to leave my hands down by my side and say "with respect, I won't be shaking your hand". A couple of his handlers came fleeing to his side from around the street when they seen he was in a bit of bother and they sheparded him out and gave me a scowly look.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Botany Bay

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Saw that alright.

There's a small chance that Tubridy might learn from the interview with the current Taoiseach and actually be a little better this time around.

I hope Bertie pays for his own make-up, though!!!

Lol.

Tubridy is the most egregious example in our media, of a sycophant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Class

The fourth version will be better.

a posthumous investigation into the rights and wrongs of his execution
    there would be wrongs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Couldn't watch all of the Tubridy interview. It was sickening. Not that it would make any real difference, but it would at least be some acknowledgement if he apologised for helping create the conditions that destroyed the Irish economy. If he pretended to understand what it would be like to be unemployed or financially screwed (never a problem with his pension entitlements), it would show more humanity.

Instead he simply blamed the collapse of the Irish housing bubble and the enormous government deficit on international factors like the collapse of Lehman Brothers. And Tubridy obligingly gave him an easy ride, allowing him to witer on about his man of the people sh1te, how he's a simple man happiest watching "the Dubs" and Man Utd. Not to mention the Presidency. Aarrgh!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

from watching him on the FF show with Tubrity i dont think he is very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Note the audience laughing at his jokes and applauding him at every opportunity...

He's gonna be president in 2 years' time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Dave! wrote: »
    Note the audience laughing at his jokes and applauding him at every opportunity...

If not him it'll be the old and worn out Mary O'Rourke. Jasus we're doomed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dragonsgates

kbannon wrote: »
    there would be wrongs?

I was just trying to be fair. :D

wylo wrote: »
    Tubridy: "How did you feel at the tribunal every day"
    Bertie(with a bold cheeky smile): "Oh it was all a bit boring to tell the truth"
    Crowd laughs.

Sickening stuff.

Then you felt great making the taxpayer spend €100,000 per day keeping you bored.

This man is some c0unt

A lying conman not fit even to be a priest.

• Advertisement

Very true. It should have been more like Ceausescu's last speech...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

wylo wrote: »
    Tubridy: "How did you feel at the tribunal every day"
    Bertie(with a bold cheeky smile): "Oh it was all a bit boring to tell the truth

Wonder which day he was referring to ?

And we're still wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

It was farcical stuff ! I was fully expecting him to be booed when he came on but cue humungous applause, seriously WTF :confused:

There is only one plausible explanation, the tickets for this audience were distributed via the Fianna Fail head office.

There was only one part of his interview that was truly worthy of genuine laughter from the audience which was apparently Ireland's current economic woes are down to the collapse of Lehmann Bros and Bear Sterns.....LOL :D:o:mad:

Maybe the thread should be renamed "Should Bertie be sectioned"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Sizzler wrote: »
    There is only one plausible explanation, the tickets for this audience were distributed via the Fianna Fail head office.
    Another plausible explanation is that all of the FF-haters and Bertie-haters on boards here actually don't represent the general view of the public . . .

Another plausible explanation is that all of the FF-haters and Bertie-haters on boards here actually don't represent the general view of the public . . .

Ah come on now :D

I think most people won't deny he has charisma and is well able to talk and think hes a "decent fella", he just happened to be awful at his job.

I think the former would explain why people in the audience laughed and clapped on cue on friday night.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Ah come on now :D

I think most people won't deny he has charisma and is well able to talk and think hes a "decent fella", he just happened to be awful at his job.

I think the former would explain why people in the audience laughed and clapped on cue on friday night.

I don't think you have a right to speak for 'most people'. Most people gave their verdict on Bertie Ahern three times over 12 years, most recently returning him to government in 2007. I personally think he was great at his job . . I think the country made huge strides forward in terms of infrastructure and quality of life and I think he played a fundamental role in bringing to an end the troubles in Northern Ireland. I don't and never did agree with all of his policies but you are way off the mark to say that he was awful at his job. Most people who are awful at their job don't keep it very long.

Most people I know have negative feelings towards Bertie, but not because of some petty political party nonsense. It's almost an insult to put people's anger and despair with the state of the country down to some simple anti-FF agenda.

I would agree though that people in general are too passive about this sort of thing, and there is still good-will towards Bertie as a "decent guy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

"FF-haters and Bertie-haters"......

Funny how - just like the banks and the downturn - you imply that it's OUR fault.

We were relatively neutral on FF and on Ahern until they gave us plenty reasons to "hate" them.

I mean, all those Nazi-hating Jews would probably be on boards complaining about Hitler, but that'd probably be THEIR fault too..... :rolleyes:

Question for ya, hallelujahordan:

If Enda Kenny went on prime time TV and said that Michael Lowry was "honourable", or "never did anything wrong", etc.....what would your opinion of Enda and his party be ?

Because I'd treat like with like.

And how come you think Bertie was "great at his job" (despite the obvious - let's say - "issues" and dodgy policies, while at the same time lambasting Eamonn Gilmore because of one of his policies, and claiming "populous PR stunt" ? )

I don't think you have a right to speak for 'most people'. Most people gave their verdict on Bertie Ahern three times over 12 years, most recently returning him to government in 2007. I personally think he was great at his job . . I think the country made huge strides forward in terms of infrastructure and quality of life and I think he played a fundamental role in bringing to an end the troubles in Northern Ireland. I don't and never did agree with all of his policies but you are way off the mark to say that he was awful at his job. Most people who are awful at their job don't keep it very long.
    OK then, "most people" I have spoken to on the subject of Bertie would concur with the above, obviously I havent spoken to the entire electorate :rolleyes:

The country indeed made huge strides -

1 - Infrastructure. Taxpayer was SHAFTED on the costs of most (if not all) of the 'big ticket' projects.

2 - Quality of life. i.e. all credit institutions losing the run of themselves and handing out cash willy nilly only to realise years later this wasnt such a good move. FF gave people cash in their pockets at a time when 95% were working and were doing pretty OK. The output of this "everything's grand" policy is now there for all to see. e.g. - Look at the state of the health service, ZERO improvement.

3 - NI troubles, without question was pivotal in getting this "over the line" and I dont think anybody would dispute that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The reason why the little sleeveen will end up as president, and ended up as taoiseach for so long, is that the electorate have the same problem remembering things as he has.

Glad I didn't see him on the Turdboy show - would have fcuked the TV through the window.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Most people gave their verdict on Bertie Ahern three times over 12 years, most recently returning him to government in 2007.
    Did he run in more than one constituiency then? :confused:
    I think the country made huge strides forward in terms of infrastructure and quality of life
    at what cost?
    Our infrastructure has improved but then again it is still at a relatively poor level - look at the trains for example. Also his buying of the M50 toll bridge (at what was reported to be over the market price) and also the whole idea of PPP roads is not good for the general public.
    Lets not even mention the M3!
    However, these roads were needed as now we have people who must commute long distances every day to try and earn enough money to survive. Their quality of life surely hasn't made huge strides?

There was no financial regulation on his watch. There was a carte blanche attitude towards public spending with the aspiration of keeping the unions happy in their little dream world.

He was a very poor Taoiseach IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

When I think of Bertie I think of all the money that was wasted on government policies designed to get FF re-elected, that could have been focused on proper things.

As far as I know Jobseekers allowance increased by €10 each year from 2002 to 2005. And then on the election budget, it increased by €20. Vote purchasing, much?

Social welfare costs the state around €21 billion a year. Imagine if Bertie hadnt been so reckless, and has kept the overall SW bill say €3 billion less than he did. Over the last 5 years thats a saving of €15 billion.

Lets contextualize. The Ballincollig Bypass near where I live cost €170 million. So if Bertie hadnt been busy buying votes he could have built 88 Ballincollig Bypasses! Thats serious infrastructure.

I met some friends from the UK on saturday and they couldnt believe how much the dole was here! They actually thought I was joking :eek: Im lucky enough not to be on it so a bit of perspective required, if I was Im sure €204 would be no picnic but thats the Ireland we now live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

kbannon wrote: »
    There was a carte blanche attitude towards public spending with the aspiration of keeping the unions happy in their little dream world.

Which same unions are now going to be very unhappy when Brian Lenihan/Cowen has to take it all back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Biggins wrote: »
    Long story short - I suspect he partly knew where the skeletons were within the FF party and knew how to use them to his advantage.
    He had a great teacher in the name of Mr. Haughty.

He probably helped bury some of them. Afteral he rose through the ranks on charlie's watch.
    dresden8 wrote: »
    Bertie may not be deluded at all.

There are probably still a lot of people who would like to see him up the Aras.

This is not an endorsement, come the day of the revolution I'll pull the trigger on him myself.

There are plenty of trees in the Park, any of them will do :mad:

So according to soem bertie sycophants and ff mouthpieces we should forget all his faults because he built a few bits of motorway.
    At what cost to the taxpayer ?
    Did any of the fine infrastructure projects actaully come in on time and within budget ?
    Did any of them actually come in fully com-pleted to international specifications ?
    We have two Luas lines that don't connect.
    We have a tunnel that leaks and has been found unsafe.
    We have a ring road that had to be upgraded just as it was finished.
    We have miles of motorway without a single service area.

And don't get me started on the quality of life. :mad:
    Has hallujordan ever had the joy of commutting in this utopia bertie created ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    "FF-haters and Bertie-haters"......

Funny how - just like the banks and the downturn - you imply that it's OUR fault.
    What did I imply was your fault ? ? ?
    Question for ya, hallelujahordan:

If Enda Kenny went on prime time TV and said that Michael Lowry was "honourable", or "never did anything wrong", etc.....what would your opinion of Enda and his party be ?
    I would argue that Enda was wrong ? ? Whats your point ?
    And how come you think Bertie was "great at his job"

Read the thread, I've already answered this . .
    kbannon wrote:
    Did he run in more than one constituiency then?
    No, he led the party that got returned to government over 12 years. A vote of confidence by the electorate in that party and by extension in him !
    Has hallujordan ever had the joy of commutting in this utopia bertie created ?

Yes I have. . I commute from Celbridge to Leopardstown and back every day.

Time spent in car in 2001 = roughly 3 hours per day
    Time spent in car in 2010 = roughly 65 minutes per day

I also use public transport quite a bit; in fact last week i got from Hazelhatch to O'Connell Bridge on a single Luas / Irish Rail ticket in about 23 minutes. In 1998 I was doing this trip by bus and it was taking well over an hour !

Bertie is a LIAR

Bertie is a THIEF

He sacrificed his own loyal secretary

Yes I have. . I commute from Celbridge to Leopardstown and back every day.

Time spent in car in 2001 = roughly 3 hours per day
    Time spent in car in 2010 = roughly 65 minutes per day

Thats because there is no jobs.

Bertie is a LIAR

Bertie is a THIEF

He sacrificed his own loyal secretary

Thank you for your constructive input . .
    Thats because there is no jobs.

LOL . . no it isn't. It's because there are bigger, wider, better roads and less roundabouts and traffic lights . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

It's because there are bigger, wider, better roads and less roundabouts and traffic lights . .

Well there could be more of these bigger roads and less roundabouts if Bertie had properly managed the country.

It was the Celtic Tiger - any kind of government was bound to build some quantity of infrastructure.

Advertisement