Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just how deluded is Bertie ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Go on Eamon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

sceptre wrote: »
    He'd pass it with flying colours. The whole point of delusion is that one is deluded. After years of spinning, I have little doubt but that Bertie believes his own bumpf.

I agree. I remember a Beavis & Butthead episode where they were strapped up to a polygraph machine. Butthead was asked a simple maths question, but got it wrong, but the light on the machine went green indicating that he believed the answer was right even though it was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭niffle

not great on news talk either , i am disappointed that they were not tougher on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ist it funny how Bertie always refers to how "the odd person" comes up to him on the street but "generally" its all good banter. Although I wouldnt condone such behaviour Im actually amazed someone hasnt decked him! Pure fantasy that every man / woman who happens to want to have a chat with is amazingly calm and accept that current woes are none of his doing and they dont have a bad word to say :confused::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

if any person had complained about Bertie before the recession, most here on these forums would have called the person a 'begrudger' -- how the tide turns.

as Bertie said this morning on Pat Kenny, no point sitting with your "biscuit and tea having a gripe" at the way things are. :pac:

ah sure, he's a great guy, wouldn't be surprised if he is president, not one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WHY oh why do we waste time on this GANGSTER ? He is a crook, end of and STILL the people of this country do not see it.

ALL politicans are at it, all of therm are crooks.

if we could vote for a military coup I'd be in :)

"ah sure, he's a great guy, wouldn't be surprised if he is president, not one bit"
    and there we have irish politics summed up in a nutshell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Martyr wrote: »
    if any person had complained about Bertie before the recession, most here on these forums would have called the person a 'begrudger' -- how the tide turns.

Don't know if you're taking the piss, but sorry - that's crap of the highest order. Ahern was always a con-artist (i.e. "confidence artist") who'd try to confuse or convince you that black was white, or answer a different question to the one he was asked.

Of course, that's just my imagination, and of course we also completely imagined the "Drumcondra Mafia" and the quotes by Haughey - a completely corrupt weasel himself - viewing Ahern as "the most cunning and devious of them all".
    as Bertie said this morning on Pat Kenny, no point sitting with your "biscuit and tea having a gripe" at the way things are

We're not; we're sitting with our mortgage demands and payslips having a gripe at the scumbag who caused it and won't admit it, and wondering why he's in a €200,000 office and even being considered for president when his finances and dodgy goings-on are still not clear.

I mean, he was on 3 radio shows today trying to plug his book!!!! I presume the Dail is still in session and that we're still paying the wanker his wages for all of today ?
    ah sure, he's a great guy, wouldn't be surprised if he is president, not one bit.

Sickening thought, and after seeing the response to O'Donoghue's bull****ting yesterday in the Dail, and the vox-pop poll of some of the Kerry folk, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dubs and the rest of the country don't cop themselves on to this little ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Actually quite a lot of people here were pretty darned critical of Bertie Ahern before the recession either arrived or became news. It's worth a lookback to see.

Not from me they wouldn't. I've never trusted him, nor do I trust any of the other lot in the Dail. Get rid of them all. Most of them are only in there because of their parents/relations, not because they have the skills, or the honesty to serve us. The celtic tiger was just the celtic myth. Any wealth the country had was wasted by his policies, people voting for him, and by people who didn't realise that credit card bills have to be paid back at the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Bertie squandered all the billions the EC gave us , and created two bubbles ...the property bubble and the p.s. wage bubble.

Our foriegn debt did not change much during the tiger in the overall scheme of things ...( about 30 - 35 billion ? ) ...it should have been erased fully if possible if the govt was that flush with money. Like a well run household, you pay off your credit card debts when times are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Bertie Ahern is the biggest snake in the grass politician this country has ever seen. Not only did he dodge punishment in the Mahon Tribunal but he also ducked out of government just before this country went into recession. Now I have to listen to clowns going on about how they want "Bertie back" or "Bertie for president". Has their memory lapsed or something? Do they not know that Cowen has only been stirring the wheel for the past two years, Bertie was on the wheel for the previous 10 years FFS!

jimmmy wrote: »
    Bertie squandered all the billions the EC gave us , and created two bubbles ...the property bubble and the p.s. wage bubble.

Our foriegn debt did not change much during the tiger in the overall scheme of things ...( about 30 - 35 billion ? ) ...it should have been erased fully if possible if the govt was that flush with money. Like a well run household, you pay off your credit card debts when times are good.

Before 2008, The Evening Herald would report that tax payment receipts were several Million/Billion (can't remember which) over what the government expected. What happened to this excess money? The government/politicians and the public sector have wasted Billions of our money. Anybody in the private sector would have been sacked, but not those in the public sector. We have people in FAS being paid millions to step down, and it is all legal according to our politicians. Well it shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Really disapointed in Eamonn Keane today. He was way way to easy on him. Shame, he was one man i thought would put Bertie in his place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Really disapointed in Eamonn Keane today. He was way way to easy on him. Shame, he was one man i thought would put Bertie in his place

Yes that was a shockingly poor performance from Keane. For someone who is supposedly so angry and passionate when talking about Fianna Fail and the state of the country up to now, when he met the man face to face he just rolled over like a little puppy. How many times did he respond with 'well ok I take your point'? Ahern actually came out of the interview looking like the good guy. Very disappointing indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

drBill wrote: »
    Yes that was a shockingly poor performance from Keane. For someone who is supposedly so angry and passionate when talking about Fianna Fail and the state of the country up to now, when he met the man face to face he just rolled over like a little puppy. How many times did he respond with 'well ok I take your point'? Ahern actually came out of the interview looking like the good guy. Very disappointing indeed.

Absolutely right! Keane was clearly out of his league. He must have be totally gobsmacked by the physical presence of the great peoples 'conman' a total wasted opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I don't know why they are dragging this has-been back on stage. So what if he is writing a book (or if it has been written for him to sign). It is an absolute pain in the neck listening to him wallow in his garbage. I haven't heard the Keane interview, but the Tubridy and Kenny interviews were totally cringe worthy, to say the least. Tubridy seemed scared of him and Kenny let him off far too lightly as usual.

I reckon the best person to interview these snakes is Richard Crowley. He certainly knew how to deal with Cowen in this recent interview about Rody Molloy's payoff deal:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0927/thisweek_av.html?2617594,null,209

The Raven. wrote: »
    So what if he is writing a book

Well, for a start, he said on The Late Late on Friday that he wrote it while "laid up" with a broken leg.

So

(a) unlike normal people, he didn't go to work using crutches
    (b) unlike normal people, I doubt that he was only paid for 3 days at his salary rate and then relied on social welfare for the rest

And so while this scum was writing his deluded fiction, we were paying him €800 a day! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

There really is no end to this man's sheer arrogance..is he really so out of touch with reality that he doesn't realise the contempt most right thinking people have for him and his party? He really should be in hiding considering the damage he and his cronies have done to this country. Am i surprised? not at all..it is merely a continuation of the contempt shown to the Irish people by FF in general..this shower have absolutely no concept of right and wrong or morals and even when they are caught with their hands in the cookie jar(again) that old brass-necked FF arrrogance raises its ugly head once more.Do they ever actually admit to ANYTHING? nobody is EVER wrong it seems and they are always the 'victims' you really couldn't make it up..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

At least there were a lot of angry callers. I am recovering from a severe bout of flu, and I really couldn't stomach listening to the pathetic verbiage again, so perhaps someone could tell me this, as my head wasn't too clear this morning.

Did this obnoxious person say something to the effect that the angry callers were just the losers that were at home at the time of the interview, and the real people were out at work? I seem to remember words to that effect either during the show or from someone afterwards. I could be mistaken though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

he has sympathy for those who lost their jobs, but they should do like back in the 80's, get off their ass and emigrate.problems in ireland are caused by the world recession, anyone who denies that is just bloody stupid.it's easier to sit at home and gripe with your biscuit and tea.
    we have best cancer services and hospitals in world, we built many schools.."i am god"

Today with Pat Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

he has sympathy for those who lost their jobs, but they should do like back in the 80's, get off their ass and emigrate.problems in ireland are caused by the world recession, anyone who denies that is just bloody stupid.it's easier to sit at home and gripe with your biscuit and tea.
    we have best cancer services and hospitals in world, we built many schools.."i am god"

Today with Pat Kenny
    Martyr...thats a load of crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Don't know if you're taking the piss, but sorry - that's crap of the highest order. Ahern was always a con-artist (i.e. "confidence artist") who'd try to confuse or convince you that black was white, or answer a different question to the one he was asked.

Of course, that's just my imagination, and of course we also completely imagined the "Drumcondra Mafia" and the quotes by Haughey - a completely corrupt weasel himself - viewing Ahern as "the most cunning and devious of them all".

We're not; we're sitting with our mortgage demands and payslips having a gripe at the scumbag who caused it and won't admit it, and wondering why he's in a €200,000 office and even being considered for president when his finances and dodgy goings-on are still not clear.

I mean, he was on 3 radio shows today trying to plug his book!!!! I presume the Dail is still in session and that we're still paying the wanker his wages for all of today ?

Sickening thought, and after seeing the response to O'Donoghue's bull****ting yesterday in the Dail, and the vox-pop poll of some of the Kerry folk, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dubs and the rest of the country don't cop themselves on to this little ****.

Come off it now, give us some credit, although now that i think of it, i bet there are as many morons in Drumcondra as there are in South Kerry.

wrote:
    FORMER Taoiseach Bertie Ahern finally admitted making mistakes yesterday in running the economy.

Mr Ahern continually pointed to the worldwide recession when asked if his Government's management of the economy and the housing market had caused the downturn.

Mr Ahern said it was a mistake to remove regulation of the banks from the Central Bank and the country had lost competitiveness. He said he did not know the banks were using the wholesale money rate to the extent they were.

Mr Ahern said he never had a meeting with the regulators and there is a question now about whether it was the right decision.

The change was made due to complaints that consumers' interest was not being protected by the Central Bank.

"I'll make one admission which I have never made on this. If you ask me did I make any big mistake? The mistake that I regret, and it was a decision that we made following discussion, was setting up the financial regulator distinct from the Central Bank. In my view, if I had a chance again, I wouldn't do it," he said.

"If I had a decision again today, I wouldn't have done it," he added on 'Today with Pat Kenny'.

Defending Taoiseach Brian Cowen's role during the boom, he said action was taken by the Finance Minister.

Mr Ahern said he had confidence in Mr Cowen and there was not going to be a change of leadership in Fianna Fail.

"That's not going to happen Fianna Fail are not going to have that debate in the foreseeable future," he said.

"If Fianna Fail went to the country tomorrow we would be hammered. But Fianna Fail are not going to the country tomorrow. The next election is 2012 and we will be judged then on how the Government acted from the Lehman's date until the election," he added.

Mr Ahern also admitted pay rates had gone out of control.

"The real problem of the last few years and, if I am guilty of something, I think it was two things that I readily put my hand up to. I think cost competitiveness in this country was drifting from us in the last few years and, you know, pay rates," he said.

Despite his previous statements of sympathy for developers, Mr Ahern said he was concerned for the workers who lost their jobs.

"A lot of developers are bust today and I'm not going to cry over that. What I do cry over is the people they employed, because there was 290,000 employed in this country doing very well from the construction industry," he said.

Meanwhile, Mr Ahern said the Mahon Tribunal had cost him "probably everything I had and everything I'd saved".

Apart from his reputation, it will bankrupt him if they find against him, he said on 4FM.
    I'd need to go and listen to it again but I could have sworn said yesterday when he was on with Ray D'Arcy that he met the financial regulator frequently and said he had to trust these people as the right people for the job? He said the central bank nor the financial regulator never came to him or Cowan and told them their policies were flawed!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Well, for a start, he said on The Late Late on Friday that he wrote it while "laid up" with a broken leg.

So

(a) unlike normal people, he didn't go to work using crutches
    (b) unlike normal people, I doubt that he was only paid for 3 days at his salary rate and then relied on social welfare for the rest

And so while this scum was writing his deluded fiction, we were paying him €800 a day! :mad:

This is a very good point. When I broke my leg one evening, I took the next day off as I was in the hospital A&E all night. Back to work the next day.

Did this obnoxious person say something to the effect that the angry callers were just the losers that were at home at the time of the interview, and the real people were out at work? I seem to remember words to that effect either during the show or from someone afterwards. I could be mistaken though.[/quote]

he did indead say this , and sounded quite happy about it :mad:

niffle wrote: »
    Did this obnoxious person say something to the effect that the angry callers were just the losers that were at home at the time of the interview, and the real people were out at work? I seem to remember words to that effect either during the show or from someone afterwards. I could be mistaken though.

Yup, he said that on Ray D'Arcy, he said the people calling in and texting were cranks with nothing better to do :rolleyes: In fairness D'Arcy told him he couldnt simply dismiss peoples opinions just like that.

Sizzler wrote: »
    I'd need to go and listen to it again but I could have sworn said yesterday when he was on with Ray D'Arcy that he met the financial regulator frequently and said he had to trust these people as the right people for the job? He said the central bank nor the financial regulator never came to him or Cowan and told them their policies were flawed!

+1 He said "the regulator never came to my office";

I couldn't help wondering why Ahern didn't go to his!

The interview is on Today FM's podcast page if anyone wants to verify that Ahern changes his story even as often as the economists that he dismissed on The Late Late saying "they changed their minds every day" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

He's skiving off work again, plugging his book in Cork today. Heard on Newstalk that his state car has been egged! The game is up....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

He's skiving off work again, plugging his book in Cork today. Heard on Newstalk that his state car has been egged! The game is up....
    Yeh! He's a paid TD and off he goes again, on our time, pluggin' his masterpiece - and guess what - the gob****es will buy it, and he knows it.

Advertisement