Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just how deluded is Bertie ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

juuge wrote: »
    Yeh! He's a paid TD and off he goes again, on our time, pluggin' his masterpiece - and guess what - the gob****es will buy it, and he knows it.

Possibly a little harsh, juuge; while some of those who buy it will undoubtedly be gob****s, journalists, reporters and commentators will buy it for their work, and and other people will buy it out of curiosity, to see how it measures up to reality.

If the proceeds were going to charity, I might even be tempted myself; I enjoy good fiction.

But I'm not going to line the pockets of this guy any further than I already have, particularly considering he's given his view of things via The Late Late and radio interviews while I'm funding his skiving off in the merc - with my taxes.

Nope - if he wants to sell any extra copies he'll have to go to Manchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Well, for a start, he said on The Late Late on Friday that he wrote it while "laid up" with a broken leg.

What I meant when I said 'So what if he is writing a book' was that it is appalling that RTE sees fit to give so much airtime to this rubbish. I doubt if this chancer is capable of writing a book - he even admitted that himself, and said that someone else had put a 'bit of structure' on it. I wouldn't be surprised if all Ahern did was scribble down all the lunacy and someone else wrote it in book form. This happens regularly.
    So

(a) unlike normal people, he didn't go to work using crutches
    (b) unlike normal people, I doubt that he was only paid for 3 days at his salary rate and then relied on social welfare for the rest

And so while this scum was writing his deluded fiction, we were paying him €800 a day! :mad:

+1. And the fiasco continues. I found the pathetic Keane interview. Keane is actually promoting the 'book'. He said that he read it twice and recommended that everyone should read it :rolleyes::rolleyes:!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

On a side issue and given the presumption that someone wrote it for him, I can imagine the frustration of the author in trying to get straight answers out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Richard Aldous from UCD History Department. Disappointing to see a serious historian sounding like a Fianna Fail hack. His hagiography of Bertie will get him plenty of publicity but will surely mark a low in his professional career as a historian? Perhaps because of his tentative forays into radio and other media, he was seduced by the limelight?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭squonk

Martyr wrote: »
    he has sympathy for those who lost their jobs, but they should do like back in the 80's, get off their ass and emigrate.problems in ireland are caused by the world recession, anyone who denies that is just bloody stupid.it's easier to sit at home and gripe with your biscuit and tea.
    we have best cancer services and hospitals in world, we built many schools.."i am god"

Today with Pat Kenny

Did anyone tell this gimp that, thanks to the worldwide recession, the game is up and we can no longer do the traditional Irish thing of heading away to the UK/US/Oz as soon as things go a bit pear shaped back at home?

These countries now have enough employment issues fo their own and won't be very amenable to extra immigration. Let's face it, you might as well be unemployed at home. No point in emigrating to be unemployed elsewhere.

Mind you, it's easy throw out plámas and oul' guff when you're on your taoiseach's pension, with your TD's salary with no hardship after you broke your leg. You can be sure he didn't spend the night on a trolley in a cold corridor because there was no bed available. You can be sure he didn't have to start claiming off the SW for sick benefit like everybody else. You can be sure he wasn't under pressure to get back to work so he could pay his mortgage and such like. No, the bollix had time to commit his deluded ramblings to paper. Sickening... utterly sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Possibly a little harsh, juuge; while some of those who buy it will undoubtedly be gob****s, journalists, reporters and commentators will buy it for their work, and and other people will buy it out of curiosity, to see how it measures up to reality.
    Point taken....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Anyone that has read it can you please post the name of the horse and where he got his tips, I could do with a few winnings

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It was under Ahern's tenure that Ireland's competitive edge was completely eroded. Ahern was one of the worst Taoisigh ever.

He can't remember things
    He can't speak very well
    and he wore that dreadful canary yellow suit on the beach!

Ahern will be judged harshly by history, despite the Peace Process, which was begun before his time. He was just in office when SF and the IRA decided they couldn't win their goals using violence. Pure coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

murphaph wrote: »
    and he wore that dreadful canary yellow suit on the beach!

I loled. :D pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

0001662a12cry.jpg

That one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Villain wrote: »
    0001662a12cry.jpg

That one?

Jesus! He really is deluded. I wouldn't go as far as 'canary' yellow, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Villain wrote: »
    0001662a12cry.jpg

That one?
    Bertie's just announced:"Drinks are on me lads, I just had a nice win on the GG's"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Aside from the obvious tendency that anyone would have in showing themselves in "the best light possible", is it possible that Bertie isn't a "bollox" (as Bosco called him on Gift Grub) but is instead completely deluded ?

I am sure he may think if he repeats it enough and other people believe it, then it must be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

donaghs wrote: »
    Richard Aldous from UCD History Department. Disappointing to see a serious historian sounding like a Fianna Fail hack. His hagiography of Bertie will get him plenty of publicity but will surely mark a low in his professional career as a historian? Perhaps because of his tentative forays into radio and other media, he was seduced by the limelight?
    I feel a bit sorry for Aldous, he knew what he was getting into. He's produced a number of books on Irish history to date, I don't know if he'll have the same degree of erudition and impartiality I used to ascribe to him with any new book he produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Eutow wrote: »
    Not from me they wouldn't. I've never trusted him, nor do I trust any of the other lot in the Dail. Get rid of them all. Most of them are only in there because of their parents/relations, not because they have the skills, or the honesty to serve us. The celtic tiger was just the celtic myth. Any wealth the country had was wasted by his policies, people voting for him, and by people who didn't realise that credit card bills have to be paid back at the end of the month.

i think martyr is still essentilly correct in his assertion that most people- this is the majority of the electorate - would think Bertie was a great guy but for the recession. yes, there are some on here who have always been criticial of him because he was so closely allied to Haughey or because they disagreed with his populist economics because they saw trouble in the long run, but had the recession not happened they would have been in the minority. i didn't see many threads circa mid 2000 denouncing Ahern. i bet if they were such threads, the likes of Liam Byrne was not getting the slew of thanks every time he posted. this is not to have a dig at him, just to say his view would not have been a popular one at that time.

i think martyr is still essentilly correct in his assertion that most people- this is the majority of the electorate - would think Bertie was a great guy but for the recession.

This is probably true, given that Irish people do seem to vote slightly strangely, and while they were doing OK a lot of people didn't want to look further down the line at the damage that is was likely to cause.
    yes, there are some on here who have always been criticial of him because he was so closely allied to Haughey or because they disagreed with his populist economics because they saw trouble in the long run, but had the recession not happened they would have been in the minority.

i didn't see many threads circa mid 2000 denouncing Ahern. i bet if they were such threads, the likes of Liam Byrne was not getting the slew of thanks every time he posted. this is not to have a dig at him, just to say his view would not have been a popular one at that time.

I don't see where I'm overly astute or exceptional; many people have said "I never liked/trusted him", and while they (including myself) may have been less vocal at the time, the fact is that apart from him signing blank cheques and being called "the most cunning and devious of them all", we weren't aware of his dodgy finances and hadn't fully seen his dismissive and devious side. So it's fair to say that even though I never liked him or trusted him, even I wouldn't have been as vocal because I wouldn't have been as disgusted by him....I had (back then) no tangible reason to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This is probably true, given that Irish people do seem to vote slightly strangely, and while they were doing OK a lot of people didn't want to look further down the line at the damage that is was likely to cause.

I don't see where I'm overly astute or exceptional; many people have said "I never liked/trusted him", and while they (including myself) may have been less vocal at the time, the fact is that apart from him signing blank cheques and being called "the most cunning and devious of them all", we weren't aware of his dodgy finances and hadn't fully seen his dismissive and devious side. So it's fair to say that even though I never liked him or trusted him, even I wouldn't have been as vocal because I wouldn't have been as disgusted by him....I had (back then) no tangible reason to be.

well, the point is anyone who was vocal at that time against him would have been quickly pounced upon. whereas as now you only have the lone voice or two defending Him. Just wait though when thing eventually do turn around the ff loyalists will find their voice again and start championing Lenihan for taking the tough action that was needed to save the economy. ok FF may not be back to their 2007 popularity for some time but within two years i bet their poll ratings will go up considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Yes, we do . . the scientific sector in Ireland has experienced superb and sustained growth over the last 10 years.

Parden my language, but Bollox. My graduating year (note year, not just class, meaning that it's all areas of science) found jobs almost impossible to aquire. out of over fifty graduates, do you want to know how many got Jobs in science in Ireland? 4.

so either you're lying (considering you're fianna fail, it wouldn't surprise me), but more likley you're deluded into the whole notion of "the party can do no wrong" thing that they have got going for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

murphaph wrote: »
    It was under Ahern's tenure that Ireland's competitive edge was completely eroded. Ahern was one of the worst Taoisigh ever.

He can't remember things
    He can't speak very well

I remember when he was first elected Taoiseach being embarrassed at his lack of spoken coherency. It may sound superficial, but it hints at a deficit of calm sophistication that should be a necessary quality for the leader of a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Peanut wrote: »
    I remember when he was first elected Taoiseach being embarrassed at his lack of spoken coherency. It may sound superficial, but it hints at a deficit of calm sophistication that should be a necessary quality for the leader of a country.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    The bottom line is, would you have someone like that represent your company / business? I don't think so. Yet he represents us (or did) on an international stage. Glad to see the back of him though Cowen can hardly stand up straight! What are we doing??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Bertie is at it again. He launched an attack on - "cynics and knockers, people who always see the glass as half empty. I can't understand people who are always bitching, saying 'its the Governments fault, it's doctor's fault,it's the cats fault'. Its everyone ones fault except their own.I don't know why they wouldn't go out and dig the garden or grow bluebells or something useful! I like doers".

But he then goes on to blame an unnamed political colleague for his downfall - "One person worked night and day to screw me up and I think I know why and I think I know how. Maybe, along the way, things got done wrong, and maybe they had to be punished a bit for that, and maybe they set about trying to screw up. I know who the person is. But libel laws are dangerous and if you can't prove it, you can't say it. But you can still know".

Perhaps, Bertie should take his own advice on heading into the garden and doing a bit of digging of his own. A shadowy figure didn't cause his downfall, he managed that all by himself.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1130/1224259709843.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

How's pottering around the garden supposed to pay bills, or get someone a job?

Why can't someone put this eejit on the spot with some real questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Bertie is at it again. He launched an attack on - "cynics and knockers, people who always see the glass as half empty. I can't understand people who are always bitching, saying 'its the Governments fault, it's doctor's fault,it's the cats fault'. Its everyone ones fault except their own.I don't know why they wouldn't go out and dig the garden or grow bluebells or something useful! I like doers".

But he then goes on to blame an unnamed political colleague for his downfall - "One person worked night and day to screw me up and I think I know why and I think I know how. Maybe, along the way, things got done wrong, and maybe they had to be punished a bit for that, and maybe they set about trying to screw up. I know who the person is. But libel laws are dangerous and if you can't prove it, you can't say it. But you can still know".

Perhaps, Bertie should take his own advice on heading into the garden and doing a bit of digging of his own. A shadowy figure didn't cause his downfall, he managed that all by himself.

Quoting him for that article:
    He said that since he resigned as taoiseach last year, “life is not as controlled as it was. I’m busy doing different things, some quite important, but it’s just not the same. If I want to go to a match, I go to a match; if I want to see some friends tomorrow night, I can do that, so it’s a big change.”

Believe me lad, if I was as lucky as you on the "horses"!!, I would go to a feckin match when I felt like it too. Unfortunately, I have to live and work in the economic mess you created, meaning I can't afford to scratch my arse and probably need a license to do it away.

Who is the ditthering clown referring to anyway about screwing him?
    McCreevy?
    David McWilliams?
    Maybe he was looking in the mirror when he said it.

If I was going to dig the garden, it wouldn't be for planting bluebells..........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Bertie is at it again. He launched an attack on - "cynics and knockers, people who always see the glass as half empty. I can't understand people who are always bitching, saying 'its the Governments fault, it's doctor's fault,it's the cats fault'. Its everyone ones fault except their own.

Oh the irony. And just who was it who said it was Lehman Brothers fault, it was the global economy's fault, etc etc eh? Or to sum it up: 'I was single handledly responsible for all the good stuff like the peace process, but had nothing to do with any of the bad stuff like the economy collapse'. Grr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So the guy is deluded and paranoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

mike65 wrote: »

agree he is both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

mike65 wrote: »

he's probably not paranoid, but definable deluded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Absolutely not! He talks quicker than his mind works, and so he often says things which come back to haunt him. But he means every word of it. He knows bloody well what he is trying to put across, even if he doesn't always phrase it very well.

This is a man who would see you hang rather than admit to failings. He would do ANYTHING to get and hold onto power, and when it all falls apart, he would do ANYTHING to absolve himself of blame. He has absolutely no scruples. To my mind it borders on sociopathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

What an A class clown
    Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern's reputation as an economic expert has suffered another blow after he praised Dubai's "extraordinary" economic success five days before it announced it might not be able to pay back billions of euro in debt.

• Advertisement

Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern's reputation as an economic expert.....

WTF ???? :eek: The only place he has that reputation is in his mind and his crap self-deluded book!!!

Advertisement