Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just how deluded is Bertie ?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Diarmuid wrote: »

Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern's reputation as an economic expert has suffered another blow after he praised Dubai's "extraordinary" economic success five days before it announced it might not be able to pay back billions of euro in debt.

Ouch. Almost feel sorry for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Ouch. Almost feel sorry for him.

Ah don't, for two reasons:

1) We were probably paying for him to go there, and paying his wages while there

2) They probably had a whip-around!

3) If O'Donoghue is anything to go by, there was probably a race meeting and he'd have stayed another 3 days and then won loads more unexplained dosh on the nags!

He's now earned the term "the antiMidas", anyways!

Idiotic tosser! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

If you want a treatise on delusion, watch TV3 on Thursday night. How in the name of God does Bertie get these interviews? There is NOTHING the man can say which has any credibility. I cannot believe there are still those who would sit across from him and purport to ask serious questions about anything. Or what hold does he have over people that half the people of influence in this country, in the government, the media, business, are either afraid of him, or pussyfooting around him?

The man is a totally discredited charlatan, who squandered the tax money of people who could hardly afford to pay it, while giving tax breaks to those who could, promoting crooks and swindlers to high public office, defending them when they were found out, shafting good people, and breaking every single greasy promise he ever made in office. I am only disgusted that his face isn't on the front page of the papers every day with the word 'guilty' under it, until the day this country's debt is finally paid off, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    WTF ???? :eek: The only place he has that reputation is in his mind and his crap self-deluded book!!!
    I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Aside from the obvious tendency that anyone would have in showing themselves in "the best light possible", is it possible that Bertie isn't a "bollox" (as Bosco called him on Gift Grub) but is instead completely deluded ?

I mean, it seems that there's lots of bull**** in the book, based on reports and comments.

But how the hell can someone who claims that he "can't remember" hugely significant things write a memoir/autobiography ?

I'd say the editor had a nightmare! I mean, if Mahon is anything to go by, Bertie must have given him 5 completely contradictory versions of each paragraph!

I bought 1001 books you must read before you die. Funnily enough it doesn't seem to be on the list, so I guess I will never find out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

You know, I'm itching to meet him sometime. Actually I'll start a new thread. See:What would you say to Bertie Ahern if you met him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

When he sees sense about Dubai's economy, will he start advocating mass suicide? (like his 2007 "quip" at the ICTU conference).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭blackbox

paddyland wrote: »
    If you want a treatise on delusion, watch TV3 on Thursday night. How in the name of God does Bertie get these interviews? There is NOTHING the man can say which has any credibility. I cannot believe there are still those who would sit across from him and purport to ask serious questions about anything. Or what hold does he have over people that half the people of influence in this country, in the government, the media, business, are either afraid of him, or pussyfooting around him?

The man is a totally discredited charlatan, who squandered the tax money of people who could hardly afford to pay it, while giving tax breaks to those who could, promoting crooks and swindlers to high public office, defending them when they were found out, shafting good people, and breaking every single greasy promise he ever made in office. I am only disgusted that his face isn't on the front page of the papers every day with the word 'guilty' under it, until the day this country's debt is finally paid off, if ever.

I saw the trailer for this last night and it turned my stomach so much that I had to change channel. I certainly won't watch on Thursday night - this man single-handedly destroyed the country; none of the bubble would have happened if he had any interest in anything other than self-interest. His attitude and behaviour led to bankers, developers & benchmarking getting out of control, and that's before we even start talking about corruption.

Having him on my TV is too close to having him in my house.

He should be so ashamed he ought to be hiding in exile awaiting extradition.

Advertisement